CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

Very nice shots of the buildings, Elvis. Thanks!

Couple questions...

Are the buildings rated for strength like in CMX1? Light, Heavy and all that?

Are those damage effects cumulative, as in they happened when the building took hits? Or are they textures we cycle through in the editor? Either way they look SWEET!

Any answers about the tree damage? Defoliate or do they break as well?

The helmet off pic is a really nice touch....it kinda funny 'cause the other night I was like, it would look great if some of those dudes lost their helmets after they were shot.

Mord.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice shots of the buildings, Elvis. Thanks!

Couple questions...

Are the buildings rated for strength like in CMX1? Light, Heavy and all that?

I don't use the editor often so I may not be the right person to answer this. I believe that the building types are the building types. Meaning you don't select a certain building and then decide if it is light medium or heavy.

Are those damage effects cumulative, as in they happened when the building took hits? Or are they textures we cycle through in the editor? Either way they look SWEET!

Yes, the damage can happen in game to some/most buildings. But no, the damage you are seeing did not happen in thios battle. Which means,, yes, you can do it in the editor.

Any answers about the tree damage? Defoliate or do they break as well?

Not from me.

The helmet off pic is a really nice touch....it kinda funny 'cause the other night I was like, it would look great if some of those dudes lost their helmets after they were shot.

Mord.

It does add to the look of the battlefield to have things mixed up a bit.

There will also be a random possibility for Ami pixeltroopers with collected Lugers to get instant injuries hardcoded in the game-engine.

...But sadly Battlefront has to take out the already inbuild option for Axis players to drop Lugers as decoy to prevend gamey-abuse. This will delay release date for another two additional months.

Lt. Dike? Really?!?! Jon and I break stones back and forth during this and he dropped this on me a while ago. I didn't want to get into a conversation with him about why that may be what people have said for FOW reasons but it did occur to me that some of what has been going on with my infantry and its advance that I have not been clear on the condition and reaction my infantry is showing me now. And since it is very different than CMx1 (and even other CMx2 titles in" feel" at least) I should go over a couple of things.

Unit condition and C2 are extremely important when using infantry to advance. When either or both of those things are out of whack you cannot easily move forward. While there are no command delays when you are out of C2 you can still end up seeing similar results, especially in WeGo and PBEM. Units that are in that situation will go to ground very quickly. Also, if a unit is in a shaken, rattled, paniced or broken condition they will not move forward with the same confidence as they would in better shape. This may sound obvious, and it is, but I haven't spent much time talking about this and letting you guys know the state of my infantry, especially to forward units. Because of this what may appear as lack of forward movement has really been efforts to reform my units. There is not much I can do to get my broken and paniced squads in a better state of mind but I can try to get them in a better C2 situation. While playing the game these things are pretty clear cut. There is plenty of feedback to let you know what you should be doing to get them in halfway decent shape to move forward. I have mentioned the need to regroup a few times but didn't go into much more detail on the process because I felt it wouldn't be an engaging read. I hope I have done a little to explain it now.

However, if the Lt Dike comments was because you think I'm playing poorly in a more general way then that's a different story and a personal risk I knew I was getting myself into when I agreed to put my tactical ideas on public display. And frankly, as with probably every CM and ASL battle I have ever played I'm not 100% happy with some of the things I've done.

Wow.that's a lot of typing on a Droid keyboard and I'm sure I'll get home and reread it to find it doesn't make any sense.

Trust me, their is a mech company out there somewhere that thanks god fasting that I am not its commander. Even pixeltruppen have been known to commit preemptive suicide when they found out I was in charge.

And I was purely ribbing you only because I could. Winning isn't even really the point of an AAR game like this one. Its purpose is to illustrate game mechanics and features of the newest iteration of the engine. And this board is perhaps the toughest crowd on earth, ask Steve if you don't believe me. We have been telling him how not bright he is for a decade now. Then sending him more money anyway.

As far as my "volunteer post" above I mostly wanted to relay my wife's funny but real ranking of my bad habits.

Hey Elvis, you may be losing this one ...

There is a reason I ended my last AAR with this at the end:

This posting has included nothing about is happening on Hill 154, the JPz IVs, most of my Shermans, and a couple of Pak 30s. What happens with them could very well shift the entire balance of the battle.

We are still very early in this battle.

dan and Lanzfeld, I haven't seen what anyone has written (but I will) but there is little that could be said that would truly offend me. The first thing I thought when I heard the reference to Dyke and refreshed my memory of who he was, was that perhaps I had dropped the ball on keeping you guys in the loop of what is entailed with regrouping scattered and broken troops. But teasing or making fun of my tactics is something I was prepared for and doesn't insult me in anyway. I just want to make sure I'm giving you a good feel for whats going on, that's my biggest concern.

Seriously? Tonight.

They take a fair amount of time to put together so I'm trying to post one a day so I can keep things steady but there are no rules about it or anything and from what I understand it will probably bring Jon and I up almost to the same spot.

Like before I can only post 5 screen shots per post so it is probably best to hold any comments until I have the whole thing up so it stays together.