BMP's Not Firing

choppinlt

I recently purchased this game and I really enjoy it. However, my opponent and myself (we took turns with OPFOR) both experienced our BMP's NOT firing ATGM's at visible, in-range, moving/fully exposed M-1's. The Fire Control was at default (i.e. weapons were set to fire at any target at any range). Any thoughts as to why this occurred? Again, this happened to both of us, not just a one time occurrence.

Thanks for the info. However the AT-5i has 1350mm penetration and the M-1 has 1300mm protection, so I assumed the AT-5 would be shot. Is that not the case? There also appeared to be side shot opportunities. In solitaire play the BMP's will fire and have taken out some of my M-1's before. So I'm not sure what the issue is...any further thoughts?

> further thoughts?

Units that were recently suppressed by arty fire or direct fire might not take a shot.

If an enemy unit has been shot at several times in a given fire pulse, there is a chance that your other units will choose to engage another target.

A unit with a weapon that can penetrate but has a very low momentary probability of hit due to range, a moving target, the unit moving itself might not take a shot.

Even when all is perfect, there is always a low probability per fire pulse that a unit will not fire. Murphey's law says that this will generally happen at the worst possible moment. :)

Also, a few exasperated folks have sent me saved game files of situations where a unit wouldn't fire and it turned out that the unit was out of ammo or that weapon was damaged. :)

As an experiment I played TF Arsenault as a hotseat game. I had 4 platoons of BMP's get in to good defensive position, unload their infantry and watch for the enemy. Then I had a platoon of M-1's come around a woods, visible from over 1500m and remained visible the whole time as they came around and went past the BMP's at about 700m. In other words, the M-1's were visible and moving with their sides exposed to the BMP's at an optimal range. Then I stopped the M-1's, flank exposed, and let a few turns play out to see if the BMP's ever decided to fire. They never did. I will add that none of the Preferences 3-9 were checked pregame. Would that make any difference?

Just to clarify, they were visible to YOU as the player, are you certain they were visible to the BMPs? I ask, because it is just as curious why they would not fire on the BMPs if there was line of sight between the two. Sometimes the player can see an enemy unit, just because one of the players assets can see that unit, but it does not mean necessarily that the asset you WANT to see, can see it. Did you use the LOS tool by any chance to check if there was, in fact, a clear LOS to the target?

Also you may want to go into the BMPs option and check their SOP and their firing envelope to make sure.

I am guessing that I had received no further response from Major because he thought I was an idiot...perhaps he is correct. I figured out last night what the problem was. The key issue was the pregame preferences that I chose, and last night after another couple of rounds playtesting I figured out that the BMP's were not firing because they were using the standard AT-5 (i.e. not the AT-5i), and the standard AT-5 can't even penetrate an M-1 from the side. Yeah, yeah, go ahead, laugh at the Air Force guy.

abneo3sierra, thanks for the response. For the record, my guys were watching the M-1's from a woods, so the BMP's could see, but were not seen...and the BMP's weren't feeling suicidal.