A couple of questions

Hi there!

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but I'd like to know a couple of things about CM:BFN.

I asked similar in other threads - but might aswell have a thread with all my questions instead.

So here we go:

1.> Will CM:BFN include more statistics after each battle? I'd love to see tons of it since it will improve the realism when playing campaigns with my brother (we make our own campaigns).

2.> Air battles. Any chance of us actually getting a glimpse of the planes this time rather than shadows on the ground? Would also see statistics on the planes after each combat.

3.> Order menus. Will these look/work like the ones in CM:SF or the old games? Cos the order system was imo MUCH better in the old ones. Actually one of the biggest letdowns in shockforce.

4.> Physics. Will weather affect burning objects? Like fire in the woods change depending on the weather? (strong wind makes it burn more and spread faster etc)

5.> WeGo...I've read the threads about it..but please...PLEASE make it possible TCP/IP. WeGo + the 1min replay was actually the thing that made me start CM in the first place. The best system ever with no other system even close to it.

6.> Judging from other threads, Normandy is just the first battlefield we will see. Anyone else got this impression or anyone even able to confirm that we'll see more later on? (east front/africa etc etc)

I've got more questions - but since Im in a hurry now Ill settle with these for a start.

Best Regards

Anders - sweden

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1.> Will CM:BFN include more statistics after each battle? I'd love to see tons of it since it will improve the realism when playing campaigns with my brother (we make our own campaigns).

It will track kill stats, if that is what you mean.

2.> Air battles. Any chance of us actually getting a glimpse of the planes this time rather than shadows on the ground? Would also see statistics on the planes after each combat.

No. It'd be a waste of time to model, considering how little often planes would actually get close enough to be seen on a CM map.

3.> Order menus. Will these look/work like the ones in CM:SF or the old games? Cos the order system was imo MUCH better in the old ones. Actually one of the biggest letdowns in shockforce.

I'm one of the weirdos who thinks the CMSF menu worked just fine. At any rate, the spacebar menu is back and has been in CMSF for some time now.

4.> Physics. Will weather affect burning objects? Like fire in the woods change depending on the weather? (strong wind makes it burn more and spread faster etc)

There won't be any fire in CM:BN so this question is moot.

5.> WeGo...I've read the threads about it..but please...PLEASE make it possible TCP/IP. WeGo + the 1min replay was actually the thing that made me start CM in the first place. The best system ever with no other system even close to it.

I agree, but asking nicely won't make it appear. Believe me, they get asked this about every 3.5 seconds.

6.> Judging from other threads, Normandy is just the first battlefield we will see. Anyone else got this impression or anyone even able to confirm that we'll see more later on? (east front/africa etc etc)

You might want to read a bit more or people are just going to be repeating themselves, as it's been laid out in detail multiple times here. I'm pretty sure a few of the recent threads have information on this.

Hi there!

Incredibly important point.

This has been consistently pointed out as a big mistake by disgruntled fans of the original series (and how we have longed for another game to reach the heights of the original masterpiece).

My suggestion is to download the CMSF demo and really work with the menu. At first I found it a jarringly different approach from CMBO, however, after having used it for these last few years it is SO much more powerful that I don't think a return to CMBO's menu is a request which will even be entertained. The flexibility it gives you, the player, is phenomenal.

Of course, all the above assumes you have not either downloaded and used the demo or actually purchased CMSF. If you have, and you've tried the menu for several weeks, well, then you've obviously found it not to your liking.

Best of luck!

Ken

Perhaps not the right thread (and possibly a topic regarding later incarnations of CM:BN).

An interesting take on statistics would be a detailed afterbattle screen(s).

Possible info on units.

* K/D ratio.

* Units killed

* Unit killed by

* Distance travelled

The info could be useful for refining strategies , or just as a great feature for us who like statistics.

** a more unrealistic wish (?) could be to be able to review the whole game , played out using the GFX engine (possibly even exporting it in suitable format)

or even reviewing the battle using a static overhad map just using animated icons and arrows to show movement.

(ok I got carried away , but I am so excited right about a new ww2 CM right now :) - and I am not alone : http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102446 )

Thanks alot for the answers to my questions (everyone of you).

I do have CMSF - but I havent played it much since release since I was very disapointed on it. I will however install it again to see if there has been any change.

As Surrender Monkey points out - a way to review the whole game would have been really great!

Yes but as I understand it unless you have either:

1. Several TB's to store the AAR file or

2. Happy to wait several hours for your machine to render a smaller version (i.e. remove a lot of the calculations, etc.).

You will be waiting a very long time to see this feature in CMx2 or CMx3

I would only need to be rendered if the aim was to export it as video file, my suggestion would instead be to use a 3d-player... it would amount to seamlessly play each 1min turn after eachother.

Like instead of opening up every single pbem to view the turns - instead to have them to play in a batch. A game of 30 turns would hardly be more than a 30mb file (judging from the individual pbem size).

Afterall the "movie" is already there - it's just that it's been split up into 30 pieces.

Yes but as I understand it unless you have either:

1. Several TB's to store the AAR file or

2. Happy to wait several hours for your machine to render a smaller version (i.e. remove a lot of the calculations, etc.).

You will be waiting a very long time to see this feature in CMx2 or CMx3

I actually think your wrong on this one. It shouldnt need several tb's or you waiting several hours. It's enough if it keep the actual data file. There is no need to save the graphics/sounds since you should be able to play the replay of the whole mission using the actual game.

I think you mistook his question with saving actual videos of the full length game. This can be done using third party programs like fraps instead. Something i've done in the past.

I actually think your wrong on this one. It shouldnt need several tb's or you waiting several hours. It's enough if it keep the actual data file. There is no need to save the graphics/sounds since you should be able to play the replay of the whole mission using the actual game.

I think you mistook his question with saving actual videos of the full length game. This can be done using third party programs like fraps instead. Something i've done in the past.

Yes I know it can and other games offer it.

But in CMx2 you wont be getting it (full length videos or replays or AAR) and the above two reasons are why according to Steve.

Well you'll be the one disappointed as THERE IS NO FIRE in CM:BN.

How many more times do we have to tell people.

(waits 15mins for the next "will there be flamethrowers / fire in CMB:BN" post). :)

Well - that no flamethrowers would be in the game was quite obvious from looking at the list of what weapons was to be included.

How many more times do we have to tell people.

(waits 15mins for the next "will there be flamethrowers / fire in CMB:BN" post). :)

Hey!

Don't be like that - there are actually loads and loads of former CM1x player who are celebrating and , like myself, just returning to Battlefront.com to see what's up.

We are excited and need not to be treated like imbecilles :(

You should instead happily embrace the onslaught of questions CM:BN has awoken.

It's enough if it keep the actual data file. There is no need to save the graphics/sounds since you should be able to play the replay of the whole mission using the actual game.

There is no "data file" for the entire game.

There are (if you play WEGO) replays available per turn but that's it.

Hey!

Don't be like that - there are actually loads and loads of former CM1x player who are celebrating and , like myself, just returning to Battlefront.com to see what's up.

We are excited and need not to be treated like imbecilles :(

Well then I trust you can use the search feature and look for I think at last count 5 or 6 threads on this exact same subject that have come up in what 3 days.

Yes I know it can and other games offer it.

But in CMx2 you wont be getting it (full length videos or replays or AAR) and the above two reasons are why according to Steve.

Well, fair enough. However, those reasons are quite silly since people (well, I can't actually speak for anyone else but me) would only want the possability to rewind the whole game and watch it from beginning to start using the game engine. You wont ever reach TB's using raw data unless it include the rendered graphics and sound.

Edit: I just saw your other post. I never said there would be any data for the full game..however, I do think its possible to do. 1 turn of WeGo doesnt take much space (now ofc Im talking about CM1-3 now) and combining 30 rounds (since thats the standard gametime) would actually be a quite small file too.

Well then I trust you can use the search feature and look for I think at last count 5 or 6 threads on this exact same subject that have come up in what 3 days.

Listen, the forum will NOT overload regardless of how many times a question will be asked.

Frankly , I am dissapointed by your attitude here - you are supposed to represent this exciting new development of a beloved Game.

With that comes responsibility to treat potential customers with all due respect (even if it means that you've to bit off your own tounge once in a while)..

:(

the above is normal business practice :(

(and probably very important for Battlefront.com)

Well, fair enough. However, those reasons are quite silly since people (well, I can't actually speak for anyone else but me) would only want the possability to rewind the whole game and watch it from beginning to start using the game engine. You wont ever reach TB's using raw data unless it include the rendered graphics and sound.

Well it all depends on what someone means by:

"a way to review the whole game would have been really great!" doesn't it.

The current AAR screen gives you a review of the whole game.

Others in the past have wanted the ability to record the entire (say 4 hour game) and be able to jump from unit to unit and review how it went (like the replay in WEGO).

So you end up with the requirement to provide 4hours of video from the perspective of say 40 units with 360 views and the various views avialable (1,2,3,4, ...). That rapidly runs to a lot of data.

Listen, the forum will NOT overload regardless of how many times a question will be asked.

Frankly , I am dissapointed by your attitude here - you are supposed to represent this exciting new development of a beloved Game.

With that comes responsibility to treat potential customers with all due respect (even if it means that you've to bit off your own tounge once in a while)..

:(

the above is normal business practice :(

(and probably very important for Battlefront.com)

Um no I'm an unpaid volunteer Beta Tester.

I don't have cutomers and its not a business to me (indeed it makes serious dents in my family time - reference posts that I've been making on Christmas Day my time and now the evening of Boxing Day 2335 local time).

It just gets really boring when you type the same stuff over an over again because people are not willing to look or read before they type.