Air Support

This entry serves two purposes. First, the Air Force Historical Agency (http://www.afhra.af.mil/) is now offering some of its holdings on CD and this includes group records. I thought I would let everyone know of my experience in case anyone else may want to obtain documents from them.

1. I ordered the documents for the 358th Fighter Group since they provided ground support to the 70th Infantry Division during Operation Nordwind and later as the division fought its way into Germany, eventually capturing Saarbrucken.

2. The order took eight weeks to complete. The cost was 30 bucks and I received 2,000 pages of documents pertaining the group. It contained all documents related to the group from activiation to the end of the war.

3. Quality - It's a mixed bag. Some of the documents are very readable while some cannot be read. The copies are only as good as the source material. This isn't stated on the website but is stated in a letter that you receive with the disc.

Now for my second question, can we get a basic idea of how air support may be handled in CM:BN and later as the game/modules are released? I know that it was in its infancy at this time and did not have the co-ordination of the latter part of the war.

Thanks in advance!

Now for my second question, can we get a basic idea of how air support may be handled in CM:BN and later as the game/modules are released? I know that it was in its infancy at this time and did not have the co-ordination of the latter part of the war.

This game does take place in the latter part of the war. ;)

Re: coordination... historically the Germans were the first to coordinate tactical air with their ground forces and they did it at least as early as the Battle of France in 1940. That was part of ther whole "Blitzkrieg" thing.. you might have heard of it.

By this time of the war (1944) I think you'll find that the Western powers had learned their lessons well and ground-air coordination, albeit by no means perfect, was indeed part of standard operating procedures.

As for how it works in-game.. I'll let Steve and Co. give the specifics, but I will say, it is fun to watch. :D

Should have been more clear on with my question - just wanted a US perspective. While I agree with all that you posted, I think the AAF took a while to get things the way they wanted when it came to close air support.

In any case, will wait for an answer from BFC, should one come.

Like most everyone else, I am ready to pre-order!

This game does take place in the latter part of the war.

But not as far as the evolution of ground support is concerned. It was during the period covered by the initial game family that the procedures were being ironed out. It didn't fully mature until after Cobra and the pursuit across France began. By the time of the second module (Market-Garden) you should be seeing the kind of thing being talked about here.

Michael