Version 1.01.15821

Brit

Before you close this thread, I asked a couple of questions about AI play several posts earlier and I guess you missed them with all the replies. It would be nice if you would answer them. I'm not trying to bait you and I won't reply to whichever way you answer.

1. Suppose I spot a battleship with a search plane. I send a sub, which is 2-3 turns away, after it. Would the BB recognize the threat and send destroyers if it has them handy, or have the BB flee if it doesn't? Or would the BB not react very much?

2. If an AI controls an island and I send an invasion force from the other side, would the AI react by sending its force to intercept before it "sees me"?

In other words, how well does the AI react to threats it sees that are two or more turns away?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you close this thread, I asked a couple of questions about AI play several posts earlier and I guess you missed them with all the replies. It would be nice if you would answer them. I'm not trying to bait you and I won't reply to whichever way you answer.

1. Suppose I spot a battleship with a search plane. I send a sub, which is 2-3 turns away, after it. Would the BB recognize the threat and send destroyers if it has them handy, or have the BB flee if it doesn't? Or would the BB not react very much?

2. If an AI controls an island and I send an invasion force from the other side, would the AI react by sending its force to intercept before it "sees me"?

In other words, how well does the AI react to threats it sees that are two or more turns away?

The AI is actually pretty bad at anticipating an attack. It doesn't know if you're heading towards him, have the ships stationed in one place for the last 10 turns, or if you're moving away. It knows that you're at a location, not which direction you're heading.

As far as the battleship example, the AI isn't good at fleeing. It tries to choose units appropriate for the target, but it also uses distance as a guide (preferring to use units that are closer to the target than farther away). It also depends on what else is going on in the game. I actually think I'd have to run a test to see what the AI would do. The AI doesn't rely on scripts. It's a pretty complex formula that takes a whole bunch of things into account, and I think I'd have to try it to see.

As far as the invasion example, he would see your location, but not your direction, so he probably wouldn't react to it as strongly as he should if he knew you were heading towards the island. However, he still sees a bunch of units that are nearby, and, as enemies, he should probably attack them as a way of degrading your combat abilities. It would also push him to build more units (units with short build times in particular) as opposed to, say, city improvements or big ships.