Who's up for an experiment?

ArgusEye

I don't think I will. In my experience, if twenty people will express interest, twelve might be up for it, six will actually show up, of which three will flake out, and one will get a heart attack or divorce, leaving you with two players, if lucky. There is not much gusto here, so I think I should just abandon it.

Already a problem has cropped up, I had no trouble finding operation level players in my personal circle, but only one had CM, and only one other was willing to get it. They're doing all the tactical stuff together, and most of that is terribly lopsided and looks rather pointless when taken out of context. The example battle I mentioned above was already viewed as boring on the forum, so I think I've just been barking up the wrong tree by trying to get people from here.

AH yes swamps! Joining Onion Wars on a wave of excitement [ diminished slghtly by having to observe protocol and get my correct Russian identity] my first two battles were infantry in the same swamp taking attacks. Very boring and if one were to measure pleasure to time it was a definite fail.

That was you in sector 228, back in 2003? Hehe. I *almost* kicked your ass in those fights...

Are there *any* "two-level" games out there in which tactical combat is set in a broader context?

WeBandofBrothers are about to start one by using RobO's great Quick Campaign generator in a team event (unimaginatively) called Mechanized Operations. (Dieseltaylor mentioned it earlier and helped with the testing)

The player is a tank company commander on the east front in Russia, South, June 1944. His company fights over several battles under the command of a fictional regiment commander who assigns him tasks. Favor points are gained by winning a game, or performing certain missions as described in ROQC.

No campaign map is used but the event is set in a broader context in that losses in one battle are accounted for in the next, team spirit is encouraged (as you belong to a battalion within the regiment) and some sort of narrative is followed.

ROQC cleverly uses the QB generator in CMBB to cut through all the tedious accounting performed by GMs between one round and the next.

I don't think I will. In my experience, if twenty people will express interest, twelve might be up for it, six will actually show up, of which three will flake out, and one will get a heart attack or divorce, leaving you with two players, if lucky. There is not much gusto here, so I think I should just abandon it.

Already a problem has cropped up, I had no trouble finding operation level players in my personal circle, but only one had CM, and only one other was willing to get it. They're doing all the tactical stuff together, and most of that is terribly lopsided and looks rather pointless when taken out of context. The example battle I mentioned above was already viewed as boring on the forum, so I think I've just been barking up the wrong tree by trying to get people from here.

why don't you go and give it a try on CMBB forum? this thread has 929 views, but still a good number of interested folks might not have noticed.