[WIP] Helmand Project

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, this should be a community project. Can't wait to see it.

Just a little experiment for fun:

themuj.jpg

Is this CMSF with CMA textures? (I don't own CMA). If so, how'd you do that? Some Ryujin texture swapping sorcery?

I'd love to get some of the insurgents in my Ramadi series wearing traditional dishdashas ("man dress") as well as Western clothing.

I'd love to get some of the insurgents in my Ramadi series wearing traditional dishdashas ("man dress") as well as Western clothing.

Shouldn't be too hard, you can have the game randomly pick from a mix of CMA and CMSF insurgent models

syriacombatant 1.mds (western model)

syriacombatant 2.mds (dishdasha model)

etc

To remove the turban, you could probably make the entire texture transperent.

I'd also recommend adding in the Syrian infantry model (with transparent helmet) as a western clothed insurgent without mask (they have a detailed face model), just retexture em more civi looking and they'll come with a AK chest rig.

Or the spies, who are bareheaded. I don't own CMA (yet), so my interest is academic.

And to be honest, I haven't dared try out your texture swaps yet. My Ramadi map -- I spend all my CMSF time on it -- is enough of a resource hog as it is on my old HP Pentium 4. Or is there no resource issue and I'm just being paranoid?

Although I'm a big fan of your HD sounds -- looooooove that M240 chatter!!!!

Thanks!

Any texture mod I marked with "HD" will be a bit of a resource hog due to the high res textures. Other stuff, like if I switched around some insurgent models or say my UAZ to Pickup truck mod in the iraqi police mod shouldn't hog resources, they're at the same level of detail, just different models/textures.

I've made a mod that replaces the masked uncon Combatant model with the spy model (with MikeyD's spy "skins"), so the Combatants look more like guys who just grabbed AKs and RPGs from their homes and such, vis-a-vis the more hardcore and militia-like Fighters.

Ryujin's idea of a reskinned and partially transparent-ized Syrian infantry model sounds even better.

Are the Muj figures borrowed from CMA available for d/l for use in CMSF and what does it change? (Just the Syrian uncons?)

That was just an experiment, and while it certainly provides something more "afghan" than stock, I would much prefer Ryujin's more advanced solution above for Afghanistan as well, since the turban guys are way too uniform. Probably have to talk to Steve, but maybe we can incorporate some CMA assets into that.

It's probably not cool to make BMP textures or models that were created by BFC/Snowball available for free as a download for CMSF (for people who haven't also bought CMA). But I'll let BFC make the authoritative ruling on that.

I, for one, would hesitate to buy CMA as a game -- insufficient interest in the subject matter.

But I would gladly pay $40-50 for a final download-only module that "bootstrapped" CMSF to include a lot of the new textures of CMA -- e.g. mountains, snow, new building textures, Afghan terrain, "tribal" garb -- as well as CMBN-like engine improvements.

And once the dust and small stones settle from the CMBN rollout -- and I think that game will be a big winner and a huge shot in the arm for BFC -- I strongly suspect there will be enough modern warfare aficionados (both existing and new) who agree with me to generate ~$60k (1500 copies) in sales. Worth ~200 man hours of Charles' time to stitch together while working on other WWII projects to keep the modern warfare flame alive in the interim? Or perhaps a good "break in" project for the third programmer BFC is able to hire with all that money the WWII series brings in ;-)

The likelihood of a "2011 engine build" of CMSF cannibalizing sales of a future CMx3 modern warfare game seem minimal to me, given that that such a game will not realistically become available before 2014 (and I'm being generous, not going on track record...).

Just wool-gathering here -- I have no real insight.

"that game will be a big winner and a huge shot in the arm for BFC... generate ~$60k (1500 copies) in sales. Worth ~200 man hours of Charles' time..."

I would love that too, so I hate to point out that these figures are peanuts for a game development company, and how do you calculate it would only take 200 man-hours programming? In my experience, things are nearly always a lot harder than envisaged.

Well I don't know the economics of (small) game development companies, granted, but I do know -- intimately -- about a 50 person consulting firm.

Even with senior consultants billing a a "rack rate" of US$300-400 per hour (the consultant only gets paid about 1/4 of that), they wouldn't turn down a $60-80k engagement even if it meant they budgeted 200 man hours (5 man weeks) knowing full well the consultant would actually spend 3-4x that time to meet the deliverable. Such decisions are justified in all kinds of ways. It's also why consulting is such a high burnout occupation....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...