December Normandy Bones

Yes, yes... I know... it's about time we posted some images :D As I've said to many of you may times before, we're cautious about what we post because we leave smoothing out graphical rough edges to the very end because they have no impact on game testing or scenario balancing. Which means for a long period of time it's difficult to produce screenshots that truly reflect what the game's status and what it's final look will be.

Now that we've started the process of fixing the graphics glitches we feel it's time to post a few shots. More will come in the very near future and then hopefully soon after you guys will be able to post your own screenshots.

What do I mean by "soon"? Does "soon" mean December? No, definitely not in December. To do that we would have to be ready today and that's not the case.

Enjoy :D

Steve

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'll say something quickly about the LOD (low definition) trees. They are kicking in too early for some testers because of speed issues. In particular, the reasons for some LOD issues in the first shot is because the tester's speed was influenced by:

1. Using a crappy laptop

2. Running FRAPS in the background taking a screenshot something like very 10 seconds

3. Debug code being on, which slows everything down

4. Not all LODs are in the game yet, so things slow down proportionally when such things are present

5. General graphics optimizations have not bee done yet.

Which is back to my point of it being difficult to take screenshots to represent a finished product when the product isn't finished ;)

Steve

P.S. For some reason a broken image icon is showing up in the second batch of images. I don't know what it is or how it can possibly be there, but it is not a 7th image. There are only 6 posted.

I'm seeing only five posted with no broken image icon.

I like the pic of the 57mm gun. So how well animated will the gun crew be? Will we see reload animations and shell handling?

To have animation variations requires making more animations. Possible, but we would rather spend our time either improving the ones we have or expanding the number of things which have animations. It's a lot harder to spot "sameness" when playing the game compared to looking at a screenshot.

Yes, there are equipment variations all over the place. The equipment, including helmet coverings, are varied based on the soldier type and what weapon he has. MP 40 soldiers have MP 40 pouches, Kar98k guys have rifle pouches, Radiomen have a Radio (seen in one shot), etc.

Steve

Very sweet.

I couldn't help but notice the jeep in the first picture. It must have the ammo cans...with FLARES. Why? To BURN the HAY PILE! Sweet. And the hay MUST burn because we have water. Obviously we will also have buckets. Why? So the sweaty French maids can scoop the water with their buckets to douse the burning hay!

Thanks for the update! It sure looks good.

Ken