Win 7 - nVidia issue with weather

Erwin

By 'weather', which specific effects were you speaking of ? I know that 'fog' support is not present in the Nvidia drivers for Windows Vista and Windows 7. Ironically I believe the fog effects, even with the same drivers, are present under Windows XP. Are there other weather effects not present ? To my knowledge there is no 'workaround' for this since the driver itself seems to not be supporting the graphics calls that fog is drawn with.

ATI/AMD on the other hand, I believe (I haven't checked lately), still has fog effects under Windows Vista and Windows 7. Oddly, they lacked this support for the longest time until a few years ago.

Ok, I get confused with weather or fog not appearing in either CM2 or CM1 in certain situations. I thought there was a fix, but I guess it was for CM2(?)

But, yes I was referring to fog/mist in CMAK with nVidia and Win7. So, there is no patch/fix/workaround? (No real problem in any case.)

No, no patch or workaround. As far as I'm aware the Nvidia drivers for Windows Vista and Windows 7 have dropped fog-table support, which is what the CMx1 series (CMBO, CMBB & CMAK) use to draw fog on the screen. Until Nvidia decides it is worth their time to put the code back into their drivers this feature will be missing.

To my knowledge (again, I haven't checked lately) the ATI/AMD line still supports fog-tables under Windows Vista and Windows 7. However I can easily be mistaken about that, since fog-tables are considered a VERY OLD method of drawing fog, so most driver developers drop support for it with the DirectX 10/11 compliant drivers.

Since I have to turn the fog/weather off most of the time so I can see where I am plotting, it's no biggy. :) All one misses are some nice screenshots. (The problem of seeing my oppo's dust trails when fog should obscure them is far more of an issue.) But, dang it, I STILL love CM1!

Sincerely hope you guys had some time off over TG. If I had to deal with some of the stuff on these forums, I would be in a sanitarium with "apoplectic anger issues" by now, heh.

While the fog may not be rendered, the spotting is still the same (code-wise). Admittedly a problem with CMAK is that dust trails may be a bit too easy to generate and spot (especially at a point level where you can figure out where a potential target is at). So the lack of fog is mostly an issue of aesthetics rather than functionality.