So, what's the word on Normandy?

90-90 Rule of Software Development:

The first 90% takes 90% of the time to develop and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Damn, ain't that the truth! Or put another way, the first half of a software project is design and basic implementation. The second half is filling in all of the designed features to support the design goals. The third half is tying up all the details so it can be shipped.

:)

We are all cursed by our desire to keep putting things into the game instead of just calling it "good" and shipping it. CMBO would have gone out the door in early 1999 instead of mid 2000. CMBB could have shipped in 1 year instead of the 2 years it took. CM:SF, on the other hand, would have come out about the same time but without the teething problems it had. And all CM:SF Modules would have come out 50% quicker if we weren't so interested in packing stuff in.

The only game we have ever made that shipped roughly on time was CMAK and the reason for that was we added almost no features to the game, only units and terrain. Most of the TO&E was just copied and pasted from CMBO/CMBB. And still it was a few months longer to make than we had expected, which proportional to the time allotted was maybe 30% longer than expected.

Which is why we always regret giving you guys our best guesses, because apparently we can't do that with any degree of reliability until the game is nearly done.

OK, so what's the status? Well, I'm sure next week there will be an indication of where we're at. Just call it a hunch, not a guess ;)

Steve

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so what's the status? Well, I'm sure next week there will be an indication of where we're at. Just call it a hunch, not a guess ;)

Steve

You heard it,the games coming out next week.Thats what it says,right here.The games coming out next week.We have an official release date confirmed here.The game is coming out next week.Yeah.;)

Guys... do you think we would go smack into a release when we haven't even up a website yet? Come to think of it that would be kinda fun to try out sometime :)

All I'm hinting at is information and image vacuum won't last much longer.

Hey now, don't be expecting an informed opinion from the crowd you seemingly have gone out of your way to keep uninformed. ;)

Where is Wikileaks now, dammit!

Steve, you have like six years of fantasies to keep up with here. There are people who have convinced themselves it will do their dishes. I merely expect it to dust and vacuum, personally.;)

Yes like my fantasy about Alizee the French Resistance fighter. We were promised Alizee!

Point of order... nobody officially in charge of development promised Alizee. However, we definitely have it on a WishList somewhere, right next to Platoon Leader Beyoncé :)

And by "website" I mean the product specific portion dedicated to the Normandy game. You know, where all the official bits of information about the game are shown. Oh, and screenshots too.

Steve