No "Chew on this pineapple, Fritz!" in CMBB

This thread got me thinking about a the Western and Eastern fronts.

Are the people here, in an overall and general way, more interested in the events surrounding the western front in france than in the Russian front?

I know I am much more interested in the events of Normandy and beyond than anything that happened in Russia, but then I come from England so I guess it only natural.

What about anyone else?

Jeremy

Originally posted by JeremyCupit:

Are the people here, in an overall and general way, more interested in the events surrounding the western front in france than in the Russian front?

I know I am much more interested in the events of Normandy and beyond than anything that happened in Russia, but then I come from England so I guess it only natural.

What about anyone else?

Jeremy

I am interested in both theaters thanks to taking a WW2 class at university here in the U.S. Though the majority of the time was spent on the U.S. war effort in Europe and the Pacific the class definitely piqued my interest about The Russian Front...oh, and my roommate got me to play Advanced Squad Leader/Beyond Valor/Streets of Fire (Russian front)! smile.gif

Originally posted by Strontium Dog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

When a German tank KO's a Russian tank in CMBB the commander shouts "Gouda Shoes!" I'm not really sure what that means, but it must be some sort of German insult.

smile.gif

I think it's probably this: "guter Schuß" which means "good shot"</font>

On a human scale, the sacrifices on both fronts are beyond my ability to comprehend, and I think it is silly to compare one to the other. On the Vastness meter, Eastfront wins hands down. On the Inhumanity meter, the Eastfront wins, but one could argue that the take no prisoners fighting of the Pacific was worse.

I just like the Western theater because of the cast of characters, the fact that my father fought there (28th ID) and the simple reason that I am more familiar with it. To each his own.

Originally posted by JeremyCupit:

What about anyone else?

Jeremy

I prefer West Front battles.

I liken east front battles to a slug fest between a very smart street fighter and a brutal thug who only knows one way to fight - pound and keep pounding until your opponent is dead or you are.

The west front I liken to a boxing match between two very skilled opponents.

I prefer the boxing match.

Werewolf

• 10 months later...

Though I am yet to play CMBB, it's the Eastern Front that defines the Second World War for me. Stalingrad, Kursk, Kharkov, Sevastopol, Leningrad, Moscow, Kirovograd, Tallinn, Kiev, Budapest, Warsaw, Berlin, Belgorod, Minsk, Orel, Novgorod, Cherkassy, Riga, Koenigsberg - these names, they aren't just battles. These are examples of how low greed and malice can take human beings and shows our proficiency in killing each other. It's grim, but it's true. It's WAR! There was, and probably never will be (at least for a long time) a theatre like the Eastern one. It's just an unbelievable story of human suffering (and human determination), heroicity (and cowerdice), cruelity and desperation. 26 million people - JUST IMAGINE!

To me, West Front was a PICNIC compared to the Eastern Front (don't get offended, I'm just trying to emphasize) and that's why I play it (much lighter entertainment). It will take a lot of heart to play CMBB (especially when you've read about the eastern front battles - I have CMBB and still don't play it). I am not yet ready to reduce it to just tactical level battles. It was much more than that, a grim nightmare, no less. The sewers of Stalingrad, the 700,000 dead of Leningrad, the trenches of Kursk, the ice-cold river-crossing at Cherkassy - ... (it can't be expressed in language - just too horrible).

One of my most favorite visual images of WW2 is the Don Cossacks cutting off the SS (Wiking) at Gniloi Tikich. Up and down the ravine they pursued the broken Germans, slashing and hacking, revenge for a ravaged land, raped wife and dead children! Can the Western Front provide ONE such emotional scene? Can it?

Originally posted by Werewolf:

I prefer West Front battles.

I liken east front battles to a slug fest between a very smart street fighter and a brutal thug who only knows one way to fight - pound and keep pounding until your opponent is dead or you are.

The west front I liken to a boxing match between two very skilled opponents.

I prefer the boxing match.

Werewolf

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The Americans, British, Canadians and other allies relied on "pounding until your opponent is dead" just as much as the Russians. Witness repeated frontal assaults (Verrieres Ridge comes to mind), the massive use of artillery and tactical airpower, and really very few tales of "tactical finesse", unless you have some to share with us?

and a battle is better won by "tactical finesse" than by other means? Maybe in CM, but IRL the win is all that counts. IRL, I would bring every tube and tactical bird into play as much as possible. Pound the bajabbers out of the opposition, then let my grunts walk across... You Bet! Finesse, schminesse. CM is a whole 'nother story though...

Originally posted by Crank_GS:

and a battle is better won by "tactical finesse" than by other means? Maybe in CM, but IRL the win is all that counts. IRL, I would bring every tube and tactical bird into play as much as possible. Pound the bajabbers out of the opposition, then let my grunts walk across... You Bet! Finesse, schminesse. CM is a whole 'nother story though...

Exactly. Use guns instead of men.