number of items in the filelist

Arzok

I tried to add a unit to TOW 1 with JSH mod.

The first avalaible number in the filelist is 4039.

But I did not succeed to add my unit.

If I suppress the last 10 numbers (ie, I take the number 4029), it works.

Is there a limit in the filelist ?

:confused:

Do you mean filelist or fileid ?That's a strange thing. I thought so cos when i modified tow2africa fileid first time (i added new infantry units and weapons) i reached a sort of limit, but after months i decided to add new tank unit (from kurk to africa) so i added new lines and they worked fine. So in conclusion i don't know if in tow1 there's a limit maybe like me you made a little mistake in file lines as i made in tow2. For the new units have you added all needed parts in fileid (magazines weapons etc)?

Thank you for the help.

My new unit works fine.

But I overwrite an other number (a number for a map, I can't imagine for what it is).

If I try with a number higher than 4038, it does not work.

TOW 1 with JSH is probably the game with the most units.

And 4039 is near 4096, perhaps an engine limit ?

• 3 weeks later...

As I understand now how it works, the filelist is only needed by the mission editor, not by the game itself.

I can suppress the new filelist, missions seem to work with new units. But not the editor.

So I can increase the number of unit by scratching old numbers as long as I don't use the corresponding units in the mission editor.

Seems a bit weird to me

There is something I don't understand

Filelist.txt and filesid.ini are two different files. Filesid is very important for multiplayer, has the numbers are used to synchronise between the host and the players. If I understand well, having two diferent filesid makes the game no longer compatible.

Filelist.txt is used only by SFSextractor to extract files from the SFS files.

I'm not aware there is a limit in the numbers, not having reah such high numbers yet.

I was speaking about fileid, not filelist. Sorry for the mistake !

I was not aware that fileid was used for MP.

But in any case, the fileid is linked with my mod, so it is not compatible with other mods. All players must have the same mod in order to play together.

But I was scratching id number allocated to maps.

Perhaps it means some problem in MP mission with these maps ?

Now, this mod is not for MP, but it could be interesting to test it !

Another strange thing :

In the fileid.txt, there are numbers for icone file, like this one :

3273 3dobj/armoredcar/fr/panhard_178_(25mm_gun)/panhard_178_(25mm_gun)_big.mat

I add a new unit, (ATG 25mm). I add this line only :

3994 data/units/artillery/fr/25mm_SA_Mle_34

But I don't create lines for

3dobj/artillery/fr/25mm_SA_Mle_34/25mm_SA_Mle_34_big.mat

3dobj/artillery/fr/25mm_SA_Mle_34/25mm_SA_Mle_34.mat

And it works in the game and in the editor.

I have the icone.

mod_uc_atg25_03.jpg

I believe that it is mandatory to have the unit listed in the fileid.txt for it to work in game, but the path for the icons textures can probably be omited in offline mode (not sure if this has an impact in multiplayer). The best bet would be to try to organize it just like it is in the original game file.

I find this in the 'creating new units" manuel :

Filesid.ini

<game directory>\data\Settings\filesid.ini – information about all game resources is stored in this file to minimize net traffic in multiplayer (a short number is used instead of a long string with resource file path). If multiplayer client and server have different filesid.ini files, client game will crash because of de-synchronization.

• 5 weeks later...

Arzok,

i think that fileid.txt values are ussually used as resources identified to some unique number but this was never explained by the devs or atleast i haven't noticed anything. I think its more releated to group of resources like meshes which have unique directory name, heirarchy structure, because like mesh resource has many other mini resources included like materials and textures and hier, etc. So its easier to load resource trough some default name which is defined in the engine. For example you load some mesh command from game engine, but the engine loads whole

bunch of files automaticaly because it find the root file which is located in the directory like index.html for web pages or Default.aspx for APS.NET.

br.

Dr.Jones