Kursk models

nik mond

I guess I should have checked this forum out earlier I thought it was for TOW1. I did a full extraction of the game on my book drive but as the fileslist gets updated I have to go back it seems to pick up other files.

I put a skin for the SS camo with Kursk sniper on the Gaj site. But really I would like to make a new branch so as not to interfere with existing units. The models are really good now, but if someone knows how to get rid of those binocs on the model let me know.

wiking.jpg

I am not convinced it is a win7 problem. My laptop has xp and the extractor will not latch on at all. It is true the extractor only seems to work from the tow2 afrika mission editor folder.

I had to add these manually to the files list, its just body_256.dds, etc etc to body_32. I use ddsconverter2 once extracted which works in wn7 or xp.

Try going to your sfsextractor.exe right click and choose run in XP compatibility mode. and run as admin ofcourse. If you haven't tried that yet

Thanks for the tip. I did run sfsextractor.exe as admin. Still no good.

I wish the modding process for TOW/TOW2 wasn't cloaked in such secrecy. It really limits the potential audience - including me. I'm really close to dropping TOW entirely. I don't mind it being involved and complicated, as long as the developers included step by step instructions. Why they have to have their audience grope in the dark for answers baffles me.

Very good. To get rid of those binoculars unfortunatly you have to work on the body.msh file and there isn't a known way to do that: you can use msh converter to create a 3ds file for 3dsmax but after that you can't retrasform the model from 3ds to msh.

• 3 weeks later...
I wish the modding process for TOW/TOW2 wasn't cloaked in such secrecy. It really limits the potential audience - including me. I'm really close to dropping TOW entirely. I don't mind it being involved and complicated, as long as the developers included step by step instructions. Why they have to have their audience grope in the dark for answers baffles me.

It is already possible to mod almost everything in the game right now without step-by-step instructions from the developpers (The only thing I don't yet know how to do is creating a new soldier model from scratch) . Everything else should be possible by reading the various tutorials you can find in the repository (that includes making new maps with brand new statics objects, new vehicles, new weapons, new airplanes). The only limit for vehicles is an easy way to create the files with the damaged areas, as we don't have the utility needed to do that.

creating new soldiers from scratch seems a bit more difficult for me, as I suspect some plug-in might be needed to import 3DSmax skinning to convert the 3DSmax model to a body.mesh file with the mod tools.

With everything that is already possible to do with the meshtools, I don't thing the problem is a lack of means to mod the game, but rather a lack of peoples having the time or will to learn how to do it.

For me, SFSExtractor works only if I'm installing it in ToW2 Kursk, with the path of the files to extract set to ToW2 Kursk. If you installed SFSExtractor inside ToW2 Kursk, it might be the reason why it's not working.

I might do more detailed tutorials, but such things take a lots of time to do, and the tutorials available are really enough to get anyone started. I'm willing to help anyone trying to create new ToW models, though.

Very basic questions:

1) I have TOW2 & TOW3. I have windows 7 64 bit - which extractor from the repository do I use?

2) Where do I put the extractor.

3) I believe I need a "file list". I think there is one for TOW2 in the repository. Is there one for TOW3.

4) What do I do with the file list? Where do I put?

5) I own TOW1 - the editors do not run with the 64 bit operating systems. I researched and found a fix whereby I have to download a program from microsoft and add a few lines of code. Did not work for me. Any ideas?

Any help on any of the above would be HELPFUL.

1)this one works for me: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=368

2) not sure but I place it in the mission editor folder, in order to make it work in ToW2 Kurks, I replaced the rts.dll in the main folder by ToW1's or ToW2's Africa one (don't forget to back-up it or the game won't work) but you can make it work from ToW1 or ToW2 as said by Knokke earlier.

3)There's one by Oudy for ToW2 Afrika in the BF Repositary, but none for ToW2 Kurks/Caen, we miss Oudy a lot!

4)in the mission editor folder

5) there's a solution that worked for my Laptop here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=92644

I hope that it will help you.

Have any of you guys tried the 64bit version of SFSxtractor? If I'm not mistaken, Dr.Jones had made such a version. Having never tried it, I don't know if it works with windows 7 though.

here is the link to the repository

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=441

@Arzok

If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. I'll help you as much as I can.

I also have been unable to get the 64 bit version to work with windows 7 64 bit.

Just a thought....

What about in the virtual machine? (MS gives out a preconfigured Win XP for 7x64 or if you want to do an OS yourself, you can use VMWare, or free MS virtual PC or free Paragon Virtual PC etc.

OT - I was pleased to find the ToW 1 editor now works under Vista x64.

• 2 weeks later...

It may be my lack of computer skills, but I have been unable to extract and mod any files from TOW-Africa and TOW-Kursk.

No matter what I do with the extractor, I am unable to get it to work.

I will continue playing TOW and designing and modifying missions, but I will put no more effort in trying to mod.

Out of 3 computers the extractor only works on 1 of mine.

new HP pavilion i7 win 7: nope

Work loaner HP centrino laptop Win XP Pro: Nope

8 year old Athlon with XP pro: yes

the only difference is the old athlon has Tow1 also installed. all my pc have tow2 and kursk. I am not convinced this is an XP compatibility issue.

I've installed the extractor on successively 3 different computers too, and it has always been working for me (never tried with a 64bits system though)

old Athlon with winXP

Toshiba Satellite M-60-189 with XP

HP Pavilion DV-9649em with Vista 32bits

All theses with ToW, ToW2 africa, ToW2 Kursk (altough for Kursk, it worked only when installed inside ToW2 africa)

• 5 weeks later...