Swastikas

I have no idea if this is the right place for this question, but I am sure someone in the Combat Mission family can give an answer.

At lunchtime today someone was looking at a book on the Second World War. It had pictures of the Nuremberg rallies showing the banners. The banners had swastikas aligned horizontally/vertically. However, the flags and aircraft markings have swastikas aligned diagonally. At the time when the rallies had horizontal swastikas, the aircraft, eg Ju52s flying Hitler around, had diagonal swastikas on the tail.

Does anyone know why there is a difference?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Nazis did what ever they felt like with the swastikas, because they could. The official Third Reich swastika was diagonal, but it doesn't mean anything, because the Nazis were absolutely ruthless when it came to decorational symbols and design uniforms and stuff. If the top Nazis were still alive today, they'd work as stylists and be given their own reality tv program.

That is a classic website. The drawing of Hitler riding a bicycle is priceless! :)

BTW, I simply must get hold of a couple of T-Shirts Hitler is wearing...."You make me feel like Danzig" & "1941. A race odyssey". BRILLIANT! :D

And the link to the uniform cartoon is so actually true. Remember that, whenever you purchase your Hugo Boss suit.

Regards

KR

Didn't get it (seriously)... Hugo Boss was around during the 30's?

Certainly was. From the Wikipedia article on Hugo Boss...

Hugo Boss started his clothing company in 1924 in Metzingen, where it is still based, a small town south of Stuttgart. However, due to the economic climate in Germany at the time Boss was forced into bankruptcy in 1930. Undeterred, Hugo set up a new business and in 1931 became a member of the Nazi party. With the rise of Adolf Hitler in 1933, Boss's business also began to prosper as he became an RZM-licensed (official) supplier of uniforms to the SA, SS, Hitler Youth, NSKK and other Party organizations. To meet demand in later years of the war, Boss used forced labor from Poland and France.

With the defeat of Germany in 1945, Boss was charged with being sympathetic to the Nazi cause and using forced labor, found to have been an "opportunist of the Third Reich," stripped of his voting rights, and fined 80,000 marks. He died in 1948 but his business survived.

Regards

KR