Data folder Kursk 1943

Segador

Help With Extractor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite many attempts, I have been unable to get the extractor to work. I'm sure I'm missing something basic.

There is no TOW2-Kursk extractor, so I downloaded the TOW2-Africa extractor and installed in TOW2-Africa Mission Editor Folder. I downloaded the most recent file list (dated 5/17/09).

I ran the extractor from within the TOW2-Africa mission editor folder - WHAT DO I DO NOW?

How do I find the SFS files? What does the file list do - I think it is important but I have no idea what to do with it.

I've read through old posts - they don't give you a step by step guide as to how to get the extractor to work.

Any help would be appreciated. I have windows 7 - 64 bit.

This is as far as I get. (Pics then description.)

kursk_01_setMissionEditorLocation.jpg

I set the mission editor location by clicking on the elipse (3 dot) button on right to get the dialog box up. Then drill down and highlight the right directory and click ok.

kursk_02_setExtractLocation.jpg

I set the extact location by clicking on the next elipse button to get the dialog box up. I'd created a directory called myextracts.

kursk_03_savemyextractsettings.jpg

Goto the menu, file, save. Enter you configuration filename, which will be an XML file. I've named mine myextractsettings.xml -> make sure you type in the .xml part to your filename and click save.

kursk_04_mountSFS.jpg

Now you need to mount some SFS files. Goto menu, tools, mount to get the dialog box up. Click to highlight an SFS file and click open.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMAGE REMOVED DUE TO LIMITATION OF 5 IMAGES.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you go menu, tools, unmount, the dialog will show what SFS files have been mounted. I believe you need to keep mounting the SFS files to make them accessable. (I only get one shot at mounting a file so I save mysavesettings.xml file, close, reopen and mount the next new file. Repeat until all needed SFS files are mounted then close.

kursk_06_loadmyextractsettings.jpg

Restart the extractor and go menu, files, load, and in the dialog box open your "myextractsettings.xml" (your filename). The white box on the left is a standard directory tree modal/display.

I believe if it were working properly, that all the files named in the fileslist.txt file that match with the mounted SFS files will display in this tree box. You click to highlight the file you want, go menu, tools, extract. An bingo, your file is now in the "myextracts" directory.

The top right of the program box is there to help drill down to find specific files displayed on the left hand side for selection to extract.

The above pic shows what I get, that is where I am at, that is what I get for now. The add/remove dialog is when you right click on the tree box. If you get further please post.

Cheers,

Hey guys,

I've almost given up on the sfs extractor. I've followed some well documented directions including the one posted above to the letter, but I never seem able to get the extractor to work. I get errors every time I try to mount an SFS file and I get errors every time I try to un-mount an SFS file.

This is the mount error that I receive (sorry, I have no idea how to upload images or I would submit screen shots of the errors themselves):

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attmept to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list."

If I click 'Continue' the application allowes me to proceed, but when I actually go to extract anything there is nothing there to extract. In other words, I open my created XML file, but there is nothing to expand in the tree. I'm sure this error is blocking me from actually mounting the SFS file, but I have no idea how to prevent the error.

I currently run Windows Vista 64bit and have tried running sfsextractor as an administrator and in XP compatibity mode with no luck. Get the same error every time I try to mount an SFS file.

Now, when I try to un-mount an SFS file I get this error:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attmept to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Unable to load DLL "..\rts.dll": Invalid access to memory location. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E6)."

If I elect to 'continue' it will unmount the SFS file, but nothing more. Futhermore, if I try to start sfsextractor with an SFS already mounted I get this error:

"System.FormatException: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list. at System.Text.String.AppendFormat(IFormatProvider provider, String format, Object[] args)

at System.String.Format(IFormatProvider provider, String format, Object[] args)

at System.String.Format(String format, Object arg0)

at SFSExtractor.ExtractManager.MountFile(String file)

at SFSExtractor.ExtractManager.Init()

If I click 'ok', the program will still open, but I can't extract anything and my XML file remains empty.

I'm sure this is me just not putting something in the right place, but for the life of me I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I placed the extractor in a folder I named 'SFSExtractor' and placed that folder in my TOW2 Africa main directory. I pointed the extractor to the MissionEditor folder and the extract location to a folder I named 'myextracts' which I also placed in my TOW2 Africa main directory. I created an XML file and saved it as per the above instructions. I'm still not able to extract anything and I keep getting these irritating errors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I have all the TOW games and think they are great! Now, I would love to mod some things, but the SFS Extractor is killing me. Thanks in advance.

BrassEm:

Cannot get as far as you did. Cannot mount any of the files. I get a "unhandled exception" error.

Why cannot anyone from 1C address this issue?

I should've mentioned that I get those error messages too, but I click on continue and carry on. So the first error is where it all goes pear shaped. There are error log files in the log directory that will explain the error further. I would sit down and look at these further but I'm pretty sure it is an issue within the .exe itself and possibly newer versions of .NET.

This app is not supported by 1C. Only through the very good grace of the venerable Dr. Jones that any SFS extractor has reached modders. For the benefit of the whole TOW and IL-2 community. He may revisit that app at some stage if he is so inclined but I am certain he would be a very busy man.

I'm sure if you could speak russian you may have a shot at tracking down a fileslist.txt file for Kursk43 somewhere on the net.

Cheers,

BrassEm:

I mistakenly thought Dr Jones was affiliated in some manner with 1C.

The time and effort he put into creating that software is now even more appreciated by me.

I just hope that he, or some other talented individual, will create an extractor that works for all the TOW games.

Ok, back to destroying the fascists.