SC-Global is going to be hard to beat. Between Hubert's default '39 Campaign & Vypuero's Mega Campaign, everything is covered. Financially, WW-2 games sell, but what else needs done to SC-Global?

I'd like to see U.S. Civil War game based on Victory Games box classic. But would the sales be there?

I'd also like to see remake of Squad Leader as turn based PBEM. Once again, can you get paid doing it?

Gotta pick the right project that is profitable. WW-2 sells. Repackage & new features is easy enough. New gamers are born every while ones die off. So make SC-3, 4, 5, 6, 7.......

US Civil War won't sell to Buntas, but that's what I want. Who buys these types of games? Old dudes with money who love History Channel, former military people, college kids, & Buntas. Safe play is keep the SC series running like John Madden football. Quick changes for the franchise to serve the new poll of ppl. Repeat, I want Victory Games version of USCW, the army chasing, rules, reinforcements, etc is 2nd to none. Probably bad business move UNLESS the game engine leveraged.

Tactical level Squad Leader would be awesome.....make it a series, but wouldn't sell. Ppl like iPhone apps, iCandy, FPS for this. Would have to start from scratch.

Could roll the dice & try subscription type game, but tech wise, not happenning with small software team.

European games beyond WW2 won't sell in USA. Its either SC-franchise or USCW.

A decent WW1 game could work, again on a global scale.

But this couldn't be done with the current game engine, as WW1 is working completly different than WW2.

WW1 mods usualy are nice because the persons who did them invested so much creativity into them. But still they play and feel WRONG.

SC3 could be WW2, with a 50% bigger map without all the map-compromises which were made in GC.

And with more major powers. More playing sides (each side with different war aims and victory conditions).

With more techs, more tech advances, more strength points (like the carriers with one for the hull and one for the planes), with more diplomatics, more decisions, less scripted events, more pictures, more music, more animations.

SC can still be polished or be redone.

GC is good. Bring in the improvements, the expansions.

And for a new game engine: bring on WW1.

Something must be changed on research in my opinion. Historical dates to achieve certain results, and some guarantee to get certain techs. I think about a model closer to the one in HOI.

Diplomacy is fine in my opinion, you get different results in every game.

Decision events are fine, but for new players the free units and events can be gamebreaking. At least there should be an easy way to read up on this, and reading event files is not for everyone.

Personally I wouldnt mind to play the game on a divisional level. Huge map.

I dont care about sprites, but the counters could be made cooler. I prefer the ones included in mods like Advanced third reich.

All in all its already a really polished game in multiplayer. In single player AI turns take all too long especially with mods. But in multiplayer its really good, I hope its possible to attract some of all those wargame fans now playing the catastrophic HOI3.

Ted Raicers "The Great War in Europe" together with the expansion "The Great War in the Near East" would be my choice of "best WW1 game ever".

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30216/the-great-war-in-europe-deluxe-edition

That would be a board game - I've only palyed a couple of WW1 board games - 1 was S&T's little one in their mag 30+ years ago which was simplistic but surprisingly good. the other was a massive multi-player affair with counters beign 1 division each played on a WW2 map (I think) that was left setup at my then local wargames club for over a year!

I prefer the smaller one! :)

GOA is a computer game.......sadly not fully developed, but still IMO a better set of game mechanics than any other strat level game I have played

Yes, Guns of August.

Fool which i am i bought this one too, several month ago.

This game sucks big time, at least in my eyes.

I tell you why: because of its lousy user interface (a feature most matrix games offer, unfortunatly).

Compare it against SC, or to nearly ervery one of the already stone old SSI games, and you will know what i mean.

I don't want to study before i can play a game.

I play computer games since 1986, and GoA is one of the few games which scared me away because it is so uncomfortable to play.

I have it installed, but i feel no love or interest to learn the crude ways the programmers want their customers to play a game.

So when it comes to WW1, i only play board games, as until today i haven't found a decent computer game about it.

My dream would be that Hubert would become best friend of Ted Raicer and that they both would sit together to create a WW1 gem like (WW2) SC GC.

Don't take my dreams away, please. :)

I find the interface a bit clunky - it is a common complaint - the naval one is particularly "not good".

But they aren't actually bad either. the game has completely different concepts in many areas to the common ones in such games as SC & it's rivals, so it should be no surprise the systems are different, and with different systems comes a different interface of course.

but it is very simple once you get into it.

I'm currently playing a German and a Belgian - & they are both of the same opinion even with ESL.

I played SC for years - I prefer GOA. I also played CEAW and AT. FWIW I have the same interface problems with pretty much every new game - I remember them with SC and CEAW for example, and then again with AT, and TOAW......

IMO the interface is not as slick as some, but it is perfectly useable, and the game mechanics are to die for.

there are other WW1 games on teh cards using "common" WW2 mechanisms - I probably won't be buying them because I am sick of games that do slick mechanics/interface and bad history.

As long as the interface is good enough I'll take the good history every time thanks.

I'll run you through a game if you like! ;)

Ted Raicers "The Great War in Europe" together with the expansion "The Great War in the Near East" would be my choice of "best WW1 game ever".

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30216/the-great-war-in-europe-deluxe-edition

Has anyone ever played Avalon Hill's 1914? It was designed by Jim Dunnigan in the late 60's and it was definitely ahead of it's time. I spent many hours playing that and wished he had expanded it to cover the whole war.

Rambo,

I didn't think you were old enough to remember VG's Civil War. I loved that game and still have a copy of it somewhere. I'd love to see a American Civil War game or something like AH's War and Peace. I had a group of 4 friends in High School and we would play W&P all night long on the weekends. After I moved they moved onto Empires and Arms but I still love W&P (I still have a copy of it also).

One of the reasons I love the SC series games and W&P/Civil War is the beer and pretzels approach. I don't have to memorize a 60 page rule book to play the game. I've always been a firm believer in the KISS principle. SC series captures it perfectly, I guess that is why we have all become SC addicts!

Rambo,

I didn't think you were old enough to remember VG's Civil War. I loved that game and still have a copy of it somewhere. I'd love to see a American Civil War game or something like AH's War and Peace. I had a group of 4 friends in High School and we would play W&P all night long on the weekends. After I moved they moved onto Empires and Arms but I still love W&P (I still have a copy of it also).

One of the reasons I love the SC series games and W&P/Civil War is the beer and pretzels approach. I don't have to memorize a 60 page rule book to play the game. I've always been a firm believer in the KISS principle. SC series captures it perfectly, I guess that is why we have all become SC addicts!

LOL, I quote a game I haven't play. Dude, do I know Victory Games US Civil War? I am VGUSCW !!!!!!!

Grant, Sherman, Lyon, Lee, Jackson.....the +2 reaction dice roll leaders. We made special rules just for them because if one dies, you die. Bid system, victory point calculations for the end of game. Name it.

The reaction rolls & Army operation was awesome. "Pulses" within turns. Action points. More action if dice tie. Naval blockade...

I am Legend,

-Legend

Rocko1: I would say a WW3 would have a problem for a Turn based Game: it would be a "1 Turn" Game, and the one who starts "wins". It would only work "IF" i.e. using A-Weapons, the ennemy (or AI) A-Weapons would strike like a "intercept" mode., then all Resources would be set to "0" and stay so... im not shure if this would be interisting...

a MAD scenario is simply nogo.

The engine is great. If I was to redoSC3 I would redo it as such.

Hexes instead of squares

More options in editor --

like allowing X country to auto build units with experience

customing units for any piece type

Improving the naval combat system -- very hard to simulate well

Streamlining the interface a little more

new graphics for a sexy look

besides that I cant think of more. But if Civilization can make 5 editions and be profitable... well you know the answer. SC2 is still the best turn based system out there.

I gave my suggestions already to Hubert a long time ago.

Well creating a new SC3 is not only about new stuff in it and new graphics, its also about new customers, sales, and marketing. Very few people who are in the game design industry are rich. Even the person who invented 2 of the most amazing big games (Empires in Arms and World in Flames) doesnt even make enough to make a living.

I just read one article about the game designer that made Axis and Alles along with 200 other games for companies like Hasbro. Im sure he is well off but then again the man is probably very creative.

If one game goes flop, or you get a bad rep. Sheesh I cant imagine how that impacts a game company.

Gotta do more than consolidate all the scenarios. You simple can't put out a prettier version of the previus as it will seem "cheezy" to people who buy it.

More features without bogging down the game

8 powers to cover all of WW2 accurately

More customizing of units

Better editor features

Better graphics - personally I think they are fine but they are marketing to a visual crowd and I have to admit commander Europe at war is prettier.

Music – like HoI3 has in the background would make it better.

Hexes instead of squares would really make the game appealing and hit a larger crowd

Civilization series focuses on all this and each version is better than the last AND its a big seller