AAR Colin Axis vs Jollyguy Allies: Start until Jan 1940.

WEST

Germans reinforce Fortress Europe. Given he is no longer so Med orientated, I expect action elsewhere. He sunk some Italian ships.

MIDDLE EAST

Stalemate except a minor Axis army finally destroyed.

RUSSIA

Germans take one more city near Urals. Big confrontation coming.

FAR EAST

Shockingly peaceful apart from Indian partisans. Co-prosperity sphere achieved.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEST

Allies land in Benelux with 2 L5 tanks (but no motorization?) and lots infantry. Germans reinforce the Siegfried line and damage a US carrier.

MIDDLE EAST AND MED

He pulls further out of Med so Axis attack. Sink one UK battleship. Drive on Egypt from Syria with armour and paratroopers launched from Iraq kills a corps, a US paratrooper and a bomber.

RUSSIA

We prepare, he prepares. It is towards end of year.

FAR EAST

Nothing.

Right now game really is Germany vs the World with Japan as onlooker. Allies look for a way into Europe whilst Russians try to claw back the motherland. Its noticeable in the games I've played as Axis, that the lots of Allied players try to finish Germany first. In this case > 95% of JG forces are orientated to this end. Against that, German military are very experienced and have excellent MPP income from holding a lot of the Middle East, Russia and West Europe and broad operational capability (from Stalingrad to Syria to Spain though he will cut the latter). Certainly there are some fights coming, though maybe weather slows that until next year. JG has threats in Europe but an interesting dilemma with Egypt facing a serious assault.

WEST

Allies take Paris and get more units ashore - this is a serious try at D-Day. Bad weather stops this getting really violent. The Bismark and a German destroyer sunk.

MIDDLE EAST

Axis advance on Alexandria in some force and sink an Allied destroyer.

The rest is quiet though Russia is due to flare up soon.

WEST

Allies get unlucky – the weather breaks allowing the Germans to counterattack in France and Benelux in quite some strength. Paris and Brussels are retaken, two (of four) US L5 tanks destroyed and some Allied HQ and air units severely stressed. German high command prays for rain in the coming turn - think that would finish him in France.

MIDDLE EAST

Egypt is taken by German paratroopers and armour. Allies sink an Italian battleship off Cyprus.

EAST

Bizarre. Japanese try to take Tibet. I figured no problem and, expecting a weak unit heavily dug in, so hit the place with 1 bomber, 2 fighters, 1 TAC air and Elite paratroopers. I guess it has a full corps defending. I can only assume the Tibetans were of Shao-Lin Monks who can catch bullets (and bombs) in their bare hands as they hold out, absolutly no problem.

So, Japanese are the terrors of the East, previously only the Russians gave them a bloody nose, their Empire reaches from West India almost to New Zealand. But it takes the Dalai Lama to stop us. Oh the shame of this, I’ll be replacing the commander directing the operation who has just fallen on his sword…..

WEST

Big fight in France – Paris changes hands every turn but Axis the are winning. US down to one L5 armoured unit and lose a lot of infantry this turn. In Med still some limited Naval action - here Axis get the worst of it.

MIDDLE EAST

German armour takes El Alamain from wrong direction, i.e.Alexandria.

RUSSIA

Russians advance. Germans target lead Russian armour with TAC and armour. Japanese lend a hand.

EAST

Dammit – Tibet still holds out.

Okay, I'm calling this one, looking forward to a rematch. Colin said he's okay with me trying the Allies for the rematch, and then I'll do Axis on our third game. A load of learning in this one. So I'm 0 for 2 in my first 2 games, but feel I've got a better sense of the game now.

Bob

One thing I did learn, although its been awhile since I've played the base campaign, that as the Allies it is necessary to engage the Axis from multiple locations. Invariably the game unfolds as historical with the Allies nipping at Axis weaknesses until finally their strength is eroded away enough for the coup de grace, D-Day.

No need, unless the USSR is in very dire straits, to be in a hurry, scout your options, use the CWs as probing forces and strike where they are weak. You must gain parity with Axis experience before you engage him on the internal fronts of his homeland, Germany.

When you think about it, it's kind of remarkable how Hubert, Bill, and company have compelled the Allied player to follow the historical strategies in a "what if" game that SC GC impersonates.

Once you get the hang of it JG, I'm sure you'll really appreciate the multitude of opportunities that Nupremal's mod brings to the SC table, similar in the basics to the default campaign, but with oh so much more room for maneuver.

I think there is no single rule for Allied intervention in terms of speed - you may need to counter a fast/aggressive/skilled player early before he gets a lock on. But I agree on hitting Axis at multiple locations. Its very tempting in GC to aggregate the UK fleet and later, as US, go West or East en masse. JG did this in the Med but the gains were only moderate. But for the Axis the difference between an opponent putting up no fight vs a limited one is quite big. I particularly advocate not ignoring Japan, which is really quite feasible to contain and limit its MPP if you take action, but can run riot if unopposed.

It was a very good game - thanks to JollyGuy.