internet game crashes

Stalin2428

Everytime i play a internet game it crashes i have checked for updates and my game is fully updated. I have tried to scale down the map to less players but still the same thing either my game crashes or another players game crashes. I'm running windows 7 64 bit home with all the updates i have disabled my anti virus. When i play a single player game it seems to work fine. Any help would be great thanks

Do you usually make it through a few turns or does it crash within the first turn ? Do you have any firewalls running ? I'd assume you couldn't play any games if the firewall was actually blocking you. You need UDP port 60062 and TCP port 60062 opened/port-forwarded (on both computers), though a number of firewalls will just have a listing of allowed applications.

I don't think any .NET updates would cause problems to my knowledge. Definitely disabling the anti-virus is one step to take. If there are any other security applications running, then disabling those too would be another step to take.

Correct, if the ports weren't open/forwarded then it wouldn't be possible to host or connect. I'm not sure how much data is getting transferred back and forth with EOS. Can you 'tracert' your opponent's IP address (and them likewise) without any problem 'hops' ? If any of the hops show some sort of delay, then it is possible that UDP packets are getting dropped. I don't know the internal structures of EOS. I assume that it is using some .NET libraries for TCPIP play, but I don't know for sure.

Brit will most likely have to troubleshoot this problem.

My friend and I have had the same type of problems. I too am running Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. I think it may have something to do with the OS and game code and connection all combined. We have had better results when my friend is at different hotels (he is on the road a lot.) I think the game code is not too forgiving of poor connections. I've been able to host other games with much less trouble. Also, I've noticed we had less troubles with older versions of the game. I think the fact that the connection goes through the EOS server also adds another point of possible trouble. I host Dominions III on my machine to my friend and it is rare that we have any problems. That game is direct host (you run an entirely separate session as the host and connect to yourself to play) and you can even choose the port you want to use.

I think adding some logging abilities to the host and client would probably go a long way to solving these problems.

I experience the same errors basically since I started playing EoS. If it wasn't that good, I would already been moving to other games. Since I don't care playing the AI, being able to connect to human opponents is very important. I believe Brit is working on getting the multiplayer stable, though.

Sorry for the delay.

It all varies sometimes i can go a few turns 2-3 and sometime i can get 20 turns in the error comes up EOS exe has stopped working. I think if the UDP or TCP ports were not set up right then i could not host a game or join a game.

Are you using the microphone at all? Is it crashing at around the time you're using the microphone? I'm just wondering if it might be running into problems. The voice system uses UDP (which is more vulnerable to packet loss) while most of the game events use TCP (which is less vulnerable to packet loss).

My friend and I have had the same type of problems. I too am running Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. I think it may have something to do with the OS and game code and connection all combined...

I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if everyone with these problems is running Windows 7 or Vista 64-bit.

Speaking of microphones...I did notice that Teamspeak was pretty much useless due to long delays in the other Guy hearing what I was saying. I ran the teamspeak server on my machine. Also the in game comms were fouled up too from time to time. They did tend to work better though. I didn't experience this problem ever while running a Dominions host. I've played many games with Teamspeak running with no problems. But we've had problems even without using comms. Sometimes the client receives a totally black map. Other times the game dies while calculating a turn and you can't recover on client side.

Sorry for the delay.

Are you using the microphone at all? Is it crashing at around the time you're using the microphone? I'm just wondering if it might be running into problems. The voice system uses UDP (which is more vulnerable to packet loss) while most of the game events use TCP (which is less vulnerable to packet loss).

I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if everyone with these problems is running Windows 7 or Vista 64-bit.

I am using a microphone everyone in the game is. The next time i play online ill use the keyboard instead and i`ll keep you posted. For the record everyone ive played with and it crashed has windows 7 64 bit

I just played a multiplayer game and it crashed at turn 80 we didnt use the microphones everyone have windows 7 64 bit

Wow. Good to know. That's a lot further than you usually get. That'll help me focus on bugs in the voicechat.