• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Sign in to follow this  
Echo Delta

The Official How To Install Mods Thread

I apologize in advance if this topic has been beaten like a dead horse, but I need a simple step by step explaination of how to install mods.

Yes, I used the phrase "How to install Mods" in the Search function and got this reply:

"The search term you specified (to) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific."

I tried every variation of phrasing installing Mods to no avail (after refreshing the image verification a half dozen times until I was actually able to read one).

I have read explainations in the past and always get stuck at the part of open the "Z" folder in the data folder. But there is no "Z" folder!

I know I'm not the only person that would like a simple step by step explaination.

The Mods I would like to install first are the Sound Mod 1.2 and the Full color Weapon Icons.

TIA

Mord   

Well what most people don't realize is there is a read me in the mod tools folder in CMSF that explains everything...but for some reason they always miss it. It probably should have been included in the main PDF or something where it would be more visible.

Other than that, though, it's easy. Create a Z folder and put it in your data folder. Put mods in z folder. BRZ files, bmps and wavs can all go in the z folder.

Hope that helps you...let me know if you need anymore answers or what not.

Mord.

I have created a mod manager I nick-named z-Bee.

You can download it in the repository. Version 1.4 is the latest, although I've been working on a high resolution (1920x1080) version since I got my new monitor. It will include some minor enhancements.

However, I would only recommend using the mod manager if you have a ton of mods you want to try out and/or switch out depending on what scenario you are playing. You can create "mod sets" if you wish. You can also manage scenarios and campaigns, saved games, and hotkeys.

It has a bug or two, but it works and will help if you like using mods. ;)

Mord   
Thank You Sir.

Perhaps a copy of the text could be included somewhere obvious in the Repository or Mods Forum.

It's funny you brought this up 'cause the other night I was thinking I should probably start putting a "How To" in all my mod read mes.

I agree though, there should probably be something on the mod forum, on how to do it. The guys are making a intro guide for newbies which would also be a good place for it.

And you are welcome...enjoy modding up the game...it's a blast and way easier than the old days...

Mord.

Waaarg   
I have created a mod manager I nick-named z-Bee.

It has a bug or two, but it works and will help if you like using mods. ;)

You made a great utility Seabee. Mod managers make life so much easier, and yours is very very slick.

Anyhow, I'd fully recommend Seabee's mod manager even if your only going to use a couple of Mods. It makes adding and removing mods very very easy.

It only takes a few minutes to setup, point the MM to the right folders, pick which mods you want to activate and your done. I probably wouldn't have messed with any of the mods without it.

OG

PS. Uncommon Valor was the first game I played that included Seabees. Man are they ever effective. Two thumbs up for the MM and the name :D

Maybe it is useful to know that all folders under the DATA folder are scanned for mod files, and that in that whole tree - that is scanned alphabetically - the last instance of a certain file is used.

That is the rationale for using Z for foldername: it will be at the end.

Inside the Z folder you can group your mod files in separate folders, so you can easily add and remove groups of mods.

Again, when multiple copies of the same file are present, the last found instance will be used.

Erwin   

Ah... so when you copy a mod folder that had several variant subfolders into the Z folder, only the variant subfolder that has the last alphabetical name gets used?

When the subfolders both have the same names, is the priority by date, or...? (If by date, newest or oldest?)

Moon   
Yes, I used the phrase "How to install Mods" in the Search function and got this reply:

"The search term you specified (to) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific."

It balks at your use of "how" and "to". These are extremely common words as you can imagine and would have been found a million times. Have you tried "install mods"?

I tried every variation of phrasing installing Mods to no avail (after refreshing the image verification a half dozen times until I was actually able to read one).

You do not need to enter the image verification if you are doing your search while logged in. The image verification is only used if you are using the search function as a guest, i.e. when not logged in.

MikeyD   

Lets not make the process sound TOO difficult.

1: Put your mod crap in a folder

2: Put that folder into the game data folder.

3: Name the folder Z... or anything else as long at its the last name the game checks when its looking for updates.

That it. Can't be easier. Anything else you want to do to manage & store & swap mods is gravy. :)

Phoenix   
Lets not make the process sound TOO difficult.

1: Put your mod crap in a folder

2: Put that folder into the game data folder.

3: Name the folder Z... or anything else as long at its the last name the game checks when its looking for updates.

That it. Can't be easier. Anything else you want to do to manage & store & swap mods is gravy. :)

Thank you a THOUSAND times for that. For some reason I too have not been able to find a simple "how too".

Erwin   

I am still confused with mod folders that have several mod subfolders. Is one simply to copy the main folder into Z...

Or...

Does one have to manually choose which of the subfolders one wants or the system will simply choose the one with the later alphabetical name.

I am still confused with mod folders that have several mod subfolders. Is one simply to copy the main folder into Z...

Or...

Does one have to manually choose which of the subfolders one wants or the system will simply choose the one with the later alphabetical name.

Erwin, this can be confusing because some mods are packed differently from others, depending on the mod maker. Switching these files in and out can add to the confusion.

Here are some simple notes:

*The z folder can hold .brz files, textures, sounds, and folders full of textures and sounds.

*Think of .brz files as folders full of textures and sounds.

*Some mods are packed into .brz files. For example, if the mod creator wanted to put a bunch of mods that go together in the same file, he could use Rezpack to put them all into a .brz file. This file can be put directly into the z folder.

*Some mods are not packed into a .brz file. This allows the user (you) to mix and match a little more. All of these individual files can be put into the z folder, or can be put into a folder that is in the z folder.

*It is possible that you have conflicting files. If you have a uniform mod packed into a .brz file and also have the individual file as well. The one with the last alphabetical appearance will get used. This is where the mod manager can help, if you assign a mod type to each mod.

*You can pack and unpack mods into the .brz files. In your CMSF directory, you can find a folder called "Mod Tools". In this folder, you will see RezPack and RezExplode, as well as a readme file explaining how to use these. It can be very helpful for organizing your mods the way you want to organize them. You can rezpack all your "woodland camo" textures into a .brz file and name it woodland.brz, so all you have to do is put that file into the z folder. -OR- you can rezexplode a .brz file to see all the files inside of it. Then you can mix and match all you want.

Don't let this confuse you too much, as most mod makers package their mods in a way that will allow you to just drop their mod into your z folder. Mixing and matching is up to you. I hope this helps, it really is simple once you understand.

Gpig   

I downlaoded your mod manager and it looks great. But it says:

"Execution of this application has stopped due to a run-time error."

This, every time I try to list my mods (step 2).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Gpig

This is usually due to having apostrophes ' in your mod names. Just remove the ' from the file names. The code I use can't handle apostrophes in in the string variables because ' is used to comment the code. I'm sure there's a way to get around it in code, but I just haven't been able to do that yet.

Example: Rename "Bill's Mod.brz" to "Bills Mod.brz"

Be sure to follow the same rule with all things you name in the mod manager. Scenarios, campaigns, mods, saved games, etc. Just dont use them.

Erwin   

Thanks seabee. Most of the time I am ok with mods. But, sometimes, I put one in and I can't see or hear it. eg: I tried adding the middle east chatter mod as I am playing a Red campaign and am confused why I can't hear it.

My guess on that one is that you already have a mod for that. Make sure you only have one mod for each thing. You can try to listen to the mod; it should be an mp3 file. If it's a .brz file, you can use RezExplode to break it up into the original files. Make sure it works and you can listen to it first. If this still doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll throw a little brain power at it and see if we can get it to work.

Erwin   

Thanks for both ideas, I esp like your Erik as there are lots of times I am not sure which mod is playing.

The first Z folder is also a convenient way to store ALL mods.

Then the Z subfolder can be used only for the mods you want to use at this time.

(Did I get that correctly?)