CM:N Safe to say 2011?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've been thinking about that part of it too and it reminds me of what someone said about science fiction a couple of decades ago. He made the observation that although the initial sales of sf books was not all that huge, they tended to stay in print for decades, so total sales looked pretty good. Do I not understand correctly that BFC is still selling a few CMx1 games?

Michael

Still selling a few CMAKs certainly , have have purchased 3 :) , two over the last couple of years due to losing a copy and trying to get my siblings involved ... was worth ago :)

I found out last week that I can take over 3 weeks off work over Christmas.....So please, pretty please......make it a pre-XMAS release...!!!

:rolleyes:

Tempting. But I have to disagree.

I want it released when it's done and super duper. I'd hate having to go through the agony of playing another release like the CMSF was initially.

If Normandy is released in the same state as CMSF is NOW then I'll be happy. Until then I'll happily wait until they've polished it some more.

Tempting. But I have to disagree.

I want it released when it's done and super duper. I'd hate having to go through the agony of playing another release like the CMSF was initially.

If Normandy is released in the same state as CMSF is NOW then I'll be happy. Until then I'll happily wait until they've polished it some more.

What he said.

I have to, at this point, disagree. It has been a LONG time. It HAS to be in, at least, presentable shape by now after all it is based on an already released fomula.

At this point I really dont want to wait anymore. I say release it and we can enjoy it and help you focus on patches. I mean think about it: IT IS GOING TO NEED PATCHES NO MATTER WHEN IT IS RELEASED SO LETS GET STARTED!

I found out last week that I can take over 3 weeks off work over Christmas.....So please, pretty please......make it a pre-XMAS

Sorry, but it will be released the day after your vacation ends. You brought this on yourself by letting the cat out of the bag about your situation and thereby creating a window of vulnerability. You may quote me on that.

Michael

I have to, at this point, disagree. It has been a LONG time. It HAS to be in, at least, presentable shape by now after all it is based on an already released fomula.

At this point I really dont want to wait anymore. I say release it and we can enjoy it and help you focus on patches. I mean think about it: IT IS GOING TO NEED PATCHES NO MATTER WHEN IT IS RELEASED SO LETS GET STARTED!

Nuts.

Hehe nice one. Won't you be busy isn't that tax time :D

I'm not a tax preparer, so I won't be busy because of that.

BTW, my reasoning on the date is that I figure the guys will get most of the CM:N preparation done this year, but they'll want to take just a bit more time to get the final polishing done. I'd guess that time is pretty tight for that in 2010, so why not just wait until after taking a nice end-of-year Holiday break? Get done what you can without a terrible crunch, enjoy the Holidays and then come back after your batteries are re-charged with fresh energy...

And as I mentioned earlier, pushing the release into next year might have some positive tax consequences (depends).

FWIW - as a software developer, I hate releasing code on Friday. As a rule I'd rather not release new code just before a weekend. So, maybe January 31 (Monday) is a better guess. :-)

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

We do NOT need another disaster release ala CMSF getting an average review rating of 62% and an average user review of a LOT LOWER.

What he said

Interesting. Opinion seems to have divided into two camps: those who would prefer to take it in any shape now, and those who would prefer to wait in hope of getting a more finished product. What is curious is the degree of ardor expressed on both sides. A lot of testosterone is starting to get sprayed around. As usual when that happens, a lot of heat is generated but not much light.

Michael

Taken to their extremes, the two camps are self-evidently ludicrous:

The "Release it Regardless" position would result in people staring at a blank screen with no controls. Umm, yes. It's a bit rough around the edges, but we're hoping to address some of the shortcomings with a patch.

On the other hand, the "Release it Never" position would logically be to wait forevermore. You see, we want to add one last thing. There's always something to improve!

And strangely, without FAR more information about the state of development than is known to us, these positions are both reasonable. Maybe the game is ready except for a few inconsequential details, i.e., the ratio of M41 to M43 pattern tunics among the German troops is completely wrong. Or maybe the game needs massive changes which will prevent any release before Q4 of 2011.

No title. No forum. No recent bones. How could we make a reasonable guess as to how ready the game is? When will it be ready? When it's ready.

Sigh...

That is because CMSF was entirly new. CM:N isnt. It would not have nearly the same amount of bugs....and the bugs it has wouldnt be game breakers.

RELEASE IT NOW!

Heh... well, it is correct to say that CM:N won't have the steep introduction problems of CM:SF because it's based on the same code as is in use today. The whole point of a game engine is to fix things and then move on, not to fix things and then break 'em again :)

Having said that, the game isn't ready to release. Lots and lots of small lose ends to deal with. You dedicated types wouldn't probably mind seeing some turrets like this, but I think most people would.

Steve

shermans.jpg

Maybe the game is ready except for a few inconsequential details, i.e., the ratio of M41 to M43 pattern tunics among the German troops is completely wrong.

Bingo :D

No title. No forum. No recent bones. How could we make a reasonable guess as to how ready the game is? When will it be ready? When it's ready.

Now that Afghanistan, NATO, and ToW: Caen are out the door we've got some more time to put into the promotion side of things.

The primary issue we have with putting out screenshots right now is we have a couple of unfinished models/textures that tend to show up quite readily in scenarios. Experience has shown that people don't handle this very well so we tend to hold back until these sorts of details are sussed out. But from a development standpoint this is the least important thing to do so it comes at the end of development. Hence the fight between promotion and development. Since we're developers first, publishers second, we tend to steer away from promotion distractions. In the end that's a good thing for you guys (trust me ;)), but it can also be frustration in the short term.

Life is complicated :)

Steve