CM:N Safe to say 2011?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...what does history tell the more informed than me regarding the release of a new product after the current pot goes live ?

That BFC will release the game when they are good and ready to do so. Actual time is highly variable. If it eases your pain any, indications at the moment are that the day is not very far off, although that is subject to change without notice. I realize that tells you almost nothing of what you asked for, but that's just how it goes.

Michael

That BFC will release the game when they are good and ready to do so. Actual time is highly variable. If it eases your pain any, indications at the moment are that the day is not very far off, although that is subject to change without notice. I realize that tells you almost nothing of what you asked for, but that's just how it goes.

Michael

Yep- all it takes is some unforseen conflict that gets unearthed during the late testing phases and "WHAMMO"... there goes your ship date out the window. We'd all like some definitive answers on this, but unfortunately programming doesn't work that way. History shows that Steve and Charles (and any other developers) sticking their necks on the line with a promise rarely rewards anyone with anything other than heartburn! :( (Not to mention waaaaaay too many forum threads to put out said heartburn.)

Read a good book. ;)

• 1 month later...

Well now that we are a month closer any bets on a 2011 release? I would think not? Hope I'm wrong but we are getting to the crunch. I doubt Steve and the guys are going to work the last week or two of December. Well not if their wives have anything to say about it :)

Oh well January is a fine month also!

Yup! After less than 1.5 weeks on sale we've got to about 50% of our expected sales of CM: Afghanistan for its entire lifetime. This pleases us :D

Preorder sales of NATO are quite strong as well, especially since we expect the majority of sales from NATO to be download only (which can't be preordered).

There are a handful of people that actively want Battlefront to fail for their own extremely selfish, and convoluted, reasons. Every time we say something positive about our sales they say we're lying and we're just a stone's throw away from going out of business. The fact they've been repeating this for 3 years doesn't seem to phase them. The fact that we've actually expanded our full time staff since then is also apparently yet more evidence, in their eyes, that our sales are crap and we're on our last gasp.

If we're on a road to failure with CMx2, as the doomsayers keep saying, then I for one hope to continue on this path to ruin because it's better than the road we were on with CMx1. Much, much better :D Which is important since we have now the largest full time staff we've ever had plus third party partners. It's not like we have other jobs to make ends meet, so this whole gaming thing we do is rather important for our lifestyles :)

Steve

Really pleased to here this about BF , keep up the good work, absolutely quality products you guys are putting out there. Cant always see it at first glance/play but once you get into the nitty grity its obvious.

Well now that we are a month closer any bets on a 2011 release? I would think not? Hope I'm wrong but we are getting to the crunch. I doubt Steve and the guys are going to work the last week or two of December. Well not if their wives have anything to say about it :)

Oh well January is a fine month also!

It would of course be a shrewd business move to bring the game out in the first half of December when everybody is expecting to spend a lot of money but haven't burned through their Christmas savings accounts yet. But that depends on the game being ready for release. Offhand, I'd agree with RCMP here, in that if we haven't seen it by the middle of December, we are not likely to see it before the middle of January, when people have had a little time to recover from their holiday indulgences as well as have their finances do so.

Michael

It would of course be a shrewd business move to bring the game out in the first half of December when everybody is expecting to spend a lot of money but haven't burned through their Christmas savings accounts yet. But that depends on the game being ready for release. Offhand, I'd agree with RCMP here, in that if we haven't seen it by the middle of December, we are not likely to see it before the middle of January, when people have had a little time to recover from their holiday indulgences as well as have their finances do so.

Michael

True but remember Steve saying the dont gear up for X sales in X days , they release when they are ready and are happy to see the cash trickle in over time. If this is the case it doesnt really matter when its released.

No way to know for sure until 23:59 December 31st, 2010 :) Having said that, the intention is still for a 2010 release. The game engine for Normandy will be feature "complete", excepting one fairly simple thing, probably next week. The question then is... how long will it take to polish everything? It's a question we never have a good answer for, but 3 months for polishing would be rather long.

Steve

This is the most exciting thing I have read on these forums in a long time.

Go BFC!

There might be tax advantages to delay the release until after the new calendar year. Depends on a couple of things...

:)

Would certainly get the 2011 account of to a good start ... must be so much pent up demand for CMx2 WW2 !

Companies House in the UK publish accounts if you care to spend £2 to examine any company, is there a US equivalent. Not that i want to go looking to be honest but would prove or disprove the theory in theory :)

Wasnt there a "CM:N safe to say 2010" thread started in late 2009?

There was the early 2009 thread containing the now infamous:

Also, 2010 is not a release timeframe for CM: Normandy. And before you wisearses say 2011 , I'll say it is definitely going to happen in 2009. Probably a few months later than we wanted, but then again everything is always later than we want. But that's normal since we're a software developer after all.

Conclusively proving that Steve is in fact not a German octopus. :P

Me? I would be happy to have the frigging title announced before year's end. :eek:

Ah, yes, that comms by Moon three months ago.

We have actually begun preparations for the website and official announcements last week. I only have two hands and one brain, guys!

Moon, unlike Steve, is almost the German octopus. Not due to any predictive skills but he is German after all and here observed as lamenting the lack of extra appendages. ;)

I understand you guys must be really, really busy at BFC. But it's time you guys made us bigots. The information flow is a bit.... glacial.

True but remember Steve saying the dont gear up for X sales in X days , they release when they are ready and are happy to see the cash trickle in over time. If this is the case it doesnt really matter when its released.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that part of it too and it reminds me of what someone said about science fiction a couple of decades ago. He made the observation that although the initial sales of sf books was not all that huge, they tended to stay in print for decades, so total sales looked pretty good. Do I not understand correctly that BFC is still selling a few CMx1 games?

Michael