CM:N Safe to say 2011?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does getting a warm, fuzzy feeling from painting, modelling, organizing and pushing miniatures (or pixeltruppen for that matter) around on a imaginary battlefield make me some kind of nut?

Good question. Probably a doctoral thesis or two in there somewhere.

... figure it is some deep buried hunter/warrior gene we guys carry around with us that once unlocked as an adolescent is never quite satisfied, regardless the size of our brain and intellect.

Yeah, probably right about that. In fact, it's reasonable to say that we humans are carrying around a lot of instinctive baggage that does not necessarily fit well in the world we have created for ourselves in the last few dozen centuries or so. Which would be one source of the existential discomfort that many people report.

Michael

My prediction is 2011. I don't think they'll release it this year for the same reasons Steve gives below in Oct 2009 for not releasing it that year, except this time they realistically could do it I bet.

That makes sense , our company does the same with software releases :)

Nice to be back on the BF forum , has been a while. Great to see feedback on development too thanks Steve, forgoten how great you chaps are at involving the community.

No way to know for sure until 23:59 December 31st, 2010 :) Having said that, the intention is still for a 2010 release. The game engine for Normandy will be feature "complete", excepting one fairly simple thing, probably next week. The question then is... how long will it take to polish everything? It's a question we never have a good answer for, but 3 months for polishing would be rather long.

Steve

As you can see, haven't posted in SOME TIME.... With that, PLEASE Steve polish the game before release even if you miss the 2010 target. I respected Stardock (Galactic Civ, Sins of a Solar Empire) as much as Battlefront until they absolutely massacred their release of Elemental: War of Magic despite numerous external beta testers urgings. Indeed, there was even a mention in their threads of "don't do an initial release like CMSF from a another well-respected independent company that suffered the slings and arrows from many of their fans." Despite all warnings, they choked it. If there is one lesson: When it's READY is certainly a viable and necessary approach...

You guys talking about Wargaming and all got me thinking about something that happened to me just recently. It's been many years since I did any miniatures gaming, but I stopped by my local gaming store- yeah, I know, my first mistake!- and found myself enthralled with the game Flames of War, a 15mm WW2 miniatures ruleset and line of figs that is now in its second edition. If you haven't seen it, FoW is pretty neat. Developed by a couple New Zealanders (what's in the water down there anyway? I gotta get some) and well supported, it seems to push almost all of those wargaming buttons I have.

You know the ones; most harken back to when I was a boy and there is an everlasting link it seems. Ever tried to explain to someone outside our little "community" why you take so much pleasure in the pursuit of wargaming? Not very easy is it? I can't say that my explanations are any better than the next wargamer, and I am empathetic enough to realize that no matter how I relate said interest, it is lost on these outsiders. *shrug* Maybe I am just not very good at explaining it.

Does getting a warm, fuzzy feeling from painting, modelling, organizing and pushing miniatures (or pixeltruppen for that matter) around on a imaginary battlefield make me some kind of nut? I have never worried too much on it, but figure it is some deep buried hunter/warrior gene we guys carry around with us that once unlocked as an adolescent is never quite satisfied, regardless the size of our brain and intellect. I have a number of hobbies and interests other than wargaming, but none of them have been around as long.

All I know for sure is that I am a (war)gamer and will likely remain so until I can no longer see the miniatures or screen in front of me.

Bring on TWMNBN!

I have been looking at alot of board wargames recently...Conflict of Heroes being one of them...the production values and artwork in wargames is fantastic now...beating many PC wargames hands down...I've downloaded VASSAL....apart from CMN and Red Orchestra 2 there are no PC games that take my interest...I believe alot of my future purchases will be boardgames....infact ownership of a baordgame is pleasure in itself...the box, the rules, the counters all physical rather than virtual...

...infact ownership of a baordgame is pleasure in itself...the box, the rules, the counters all physical rather than virtual...

*sigh*

Yeah, I agree. There was no thrill in the world like getting home with the box, ripping off the shrink wrap, running my fingers over the counter sheets, spending hours with the rulebook underlining the important parts for later reference, and minutely studying the mapsheets to start conceiving of a winning strategy. That was half the fun of owning the game right there.

But on the other hand, stacked against that was the necessity of finding a space to set all that stuff up where you can leave it for sometimes days or even weeks at a time and still have it safe from children and pets (not to mention well-intentioned but clueless cleaning ladies). Then there were the stiff necks and aching backs from leaning over the playing surface for hours at a time. And don't forget the agony of having your opponent roll the dice on the map after you've warned him a dozen times to do it inside the box top, resulting in having your army group scattered all to hell and gone after you've just done 12 long turns advancing deeply into the USSR.

Although a lot has been lost by moving onto computers, I think that by and large I for one am a lot better off.

Michael

*sigh*

But on the other hand, stacked against that was the necessity of finding a space to set all that stuff up where you can leave it for sometimes days or even weeks at a time and still have it safe from children and pets (not to mention well-intentioned but clueless cleaning ladies). Then there were the stiff necks and aching backs from leaning over the playing surface for hours at a time. And don't forget the agony of having your opponent roll the dice on the map after you've warned him a dozen times to do it inside the box top, resulting in having your army group scattered all to hell and gone after you've just done 12 long turns advancing deeply into the USSR.

Michael

Thats where the beauty of VASSAL comes into play...you get the box and counters and map to look at...you play the game on the PC...no worries finding someone to play face to face...no worries about finding the space to set up....and some modules out there for VASSAL are superb with perfect replica counters\map etc...

you need the rules....so you have to buy the game...it has a dice roller...the Conflict of Heroes module actually makes your counters that are hidden semi transparent...

here is a review of Conflict of heroes VASSAL module

http://wgnb.blogspot.com/2009/04/conflict-of-heroes-vassal-review.html

http://wgnb.blogspot.com/2009/03/conflict-of-heroes-vassal-module.html

Twighlight Struggle boardgame on VASSAL

http://wgnb.blogspot.com/2010/09/twilight-struggle-on-vassal-is-no.html

General VASSAL features

http://wgnb.blogspot.com/search/label/VASSAL%20Features