Cannot make demo run on Windows 7

jakobrogert

Hello,

I tried looking around for a technical thread on getting the game (demo) running on Windows 7, but since none were found, I'm now posting.

I have updated the demo to the latest version, installed the demo with administrator rights and Anti-virus turned off. I have tried to run the game with administrator rights and with anti-virus (Comodo) turned off. I have also tried running in compatibility mode XP SP 3 and XP SP 2.

The result is always the exact same: The process starts. No window appears, although sometimes, the explorer window "blurs", which means it loses focus to another process. I get no error messages and no reaction beyond the hour glass icon (a circle in windows 7) spinning a few rounds, then disappearing.

I have installed the dotNet framework 4.0 and the internet seems to tell me 3.5 is already installed on Windows 7.

Any hints? The game looks like good fun and I love doing w40k mods for war games like these to play around with on LAN nights.

Best Regards

Jakob B Rogert

Check your DEP (Data execution prevention) settings. Make sure they're set to block "Windows relevant" programs only. If it is set to that option, select it anyway, save the changes and reboot. That may help.

Another issue we found is sometimes related to anti-virus "toolbars". These seem to be more and more popular with AV providers (because they make money off them ;)) and they tend to block what UAC and DEP are supposed to block, and do so without any notices and even if you disable UAC and DEP. So check if you have a toolbar running, and disable that (it runs even if you disable your AV, doh...)

Thank you for the kind suggestions.

My antivirus (Comodo usually does not screw things up.) does not have a toolbar or other kind of activity running, all it's defence capabilities are turned off (but hey - you never know with this kind of overprotective soccer-mom-software).

My DEP is also reduced to only strangle windows-relevant things, so I belive I'm out of luck in this regard.

My Nvidia Quadro FX 2800M is updated, according to Windows own updater and I did pull down an nvidia update fairly recently.

I'll probably try to remove Comodo as it does react to some Empire files, although I told it to keep calm and mind it's own business.

Well, I believe I can confirm Comodo Internet Security is slightly incompatible with EoS. The reason is that Comodo thinks that Battlefront's whatever license file is quite intrusive (which wouldn't surprise me, seeing as they seem to deal with a nasty drm?) and no matter what I tell Comodo, it blocked parts of the install, successfully protecting me from playing this game. After uninstalling Comodo, the game did run.

Actually, eLicense is not intrusive at all. But it is encrypted. That encryption is to prevent the game from being hacked (which is what DRM is about, or at least should be about; not all DRM leave it at that ;)) and it is quite effective ;) Comodo (and some other AV programs) cannot decrypt it. A good AV program should now let you know that it can't scan the file instead of outright blocking it (and worse, not telling you about it). But it depends on your settings, too.