First impressions

Amedeo

Has anyone else noticed a tendency for men to fire through walls from positions where there would normally be windows?

I noticed this myself on the Demo mission with the Shilka when playing as Soviet. I also noticed that there are less windows in CMA. I replayed the mission as Mujhd and when I unhid guys in buildings who were behind walls where windows may have been in CMSF buildings, they were killed by Sov forces.

Is there a chance that although the windows aren't represented in the game, they are remembered by the code? It's not just small arms by the way, RPGs were also fired through walls.

I also had Soviet troops on that scenario walk through the Walls of the Mosque but I understand that this is also in CMSF, though I've never seen it happen personally.

Overall, I like the look and feel of CMA, infantry is more survivable and the terrain and buildings look much better. I'm sure that a quick fix to this firing through walls bug will be implemented. Once that takes place I'm thinking of buying it. The no instant lethality thing makes me think that CMN will be much better to play.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is incorrect. Play outpost assaulted and I can assure you the Muj will have more guys then the soviets.

I was actually playing as the soviets in that one the briefing says a group of 50 spotted it's 100.

I was also refering to some situations in shock force that are the exact same problem where you get outnumbered like that mission that has you hunting a spotter and a platoon shows up out numbering your two fireteams.

Yes honesty from the briefing would be nice like if it said there COULD be more it says a group of 50

Well I've just spent half hour playing my first battle - it's FABULOUS!! It plays so totally different to Shock Force it's uncanny!! I'm loving it. It reminds me how I felt when I first started playing CMBO/CMBB and CMAK! You really feel for these little guys ducking for cover, with random small arms fire all over the place. The close combat feels more intense to me. Thanks a lot guys!

+1! Yes this took me by suprise also. It plays very different, in a good way. I'm not sure about the original CMBO days, but I did stay up until about 1am last night playing and that is rare nowadays :D Well done and thanks.

I was actually playing as the soviets in that one the briefing says a group of 50 spotted it's 100.

I was also refering to some situations in shock force that are the exact same problem where you get outnumbered like that mission that has you hunting a spotter and a platoon shows up out numbering your two fireteams.

Yes honesty from the briefing would be nice like if it said there COULD be more it says a group of 50

It's not a question of honesty. It's a question of reliable intelligence, which typically tends to be neither reliable or intelligent. The incorrect briefings are fairly true to life, I assure you.

I'm currently under the impression that Battlefront will be providing the patches. Snowball primarily created the art, scenarios, data and I believe some of the 3D models (possibly not). BFC did all the coding. Snowball will release patches for their distributions, but the code will come from BFC. Their feedback and our feedback will be used to make patches when they're needed.

I don't expect any kind of 'enhancement/evolution' of the game like the CMSF series got. The features that you see are pretty much what the game will always have. Bugs will be addressed, but I don't expect that there will be a lot of patches for this particular title nor additional items added over time (as far as I'm aware).

Has anyone else noticed a tendency for men to fire through walls from positions where there would normally be windows?

Wengart, is there a door on the side of the window-less wall they are firing through? If not than there may be a problem and we can look into it.

But we need a savegame or a replay that can allow us to reproduce the problem.

If you or anyone can provide them please email them to me at (dimastep at gmail , com)

It's not a question of honesty. It's a question of reliable intelligence, which typically tends to be neither reliable or intelligent. The incorrect briefings are fairly true to life, I assure you.

I could care less about wether it's realistic or not. Point is I'm not spending money on a game again to have cheap stuff like that happen which is a shame because I like the setting and only know of two other games that cover this particular war. I loved the the other CM games but just can't get into how the newer games play. The outnumbered crappy briefings would be fine if the AI reacted or responded on time

That outpost mission could have at least done with some fire support after all the muj get some

I could care less about wether it's realistic or not. Point is I'm not spending money on a game again to have cheap stuff like that happen ....

You don't like the game because you feel that one briefing didn't provide enough/the proper information? You may very well not like the game and that is fine but I wouldn't base your entire like or dislike of the game on what you perceive to be a shortcoming in one written briefing. Or is there something else you don't like about it that I missed in your post in addition to the problem you had with the briefing?

It's not just the briefing it's the same ole experience I got from shock force unresponsive friendly AI Brutal enemy AI no matter what difficulty you are on or what the skill level they have is set to.

Also looked at that mission again it starts out as a fair fight 50-50 and I was winning that then they get renforcements and the soviets don't. Hell the blufor briefing doesn't even mention renforcements.

It's not just the briefing it's the same ole experience I got from shock force unresponsive friendly AI Brutal enemy AI no matter what difficulty you are on or what the skill level they have is set to.

Also looked at that mission again it starts out as a fair fight 50-50 and I was winning that then they get renforcements and the soviets don't. Hell the blufor briefing doesn't even mention renforcements.

Which one are you playing? The outpost one? Not an easy one to win. You need a co-ordinated effort of arty and suppressing fire to keep the Muj at bay while you whittle them down. Once their attack has been slowed you can take them out as they come at you. The key is to derail the attack. And remember...if you are defending you should be able to withstand a 3:1 ratio in the time period modeled in CM:A (And WW2 as well).

Just my 2 cents, mate.

Don't get fire support unless you mean the grenade launchers which is difficult to keep the ai from spraying off all of the ammo they have. I pretty much killed all the forces the muj start with it was the renforcements that showed up and messed it all up

I'm sorry. You are right. I had played an earlier version of it where the Russians had no units in the villages but had arty support. My bad. Again, sorry. I know I played the demo but the older version is what still sticks out to me (probably because I played that one 10 times).

imo the trick is to hold fire until you see where all the attacks are coming from, then use the grenade throwers on dense targets. First time playing I got a minor Soviet defeat at Elite level, but partly as I thought I had to defend the towns as well as the outpost and set up not as well as I could have. So, I think it's reasonably balanced vs the AI. Nice little scenario.

Wengart, is there a door on the side of the window-less wall they are firing through? If not than there may be a problem and we can look into it.

But we need a savegame or a replay that can allow us to reproduce the problem.

If you or anyone can provide them please email them to me at (dimastep at gmail , com)

Hi mate

You don't need a save game file. Just play the Demo mission as Mujhd. There are no doors. Small arms and RPG fire through the walls. Seemingly where windows would have been in CMSF.

Unhide you forces and watch the fun. It's so glaringly obvious I can't imagine why it wasn't spotted pre-release.

Hi mate

You don't need a save game file. Just play the Demo mission as Mujhd. There are no doors. Small arms and RPG fire through the walls. Seemingly where windows would have been in CMSF.

Unhide you forces and watch the fun. It's so glaringly obvious I can't imagine why it wasn't spotted pre-release.

I haven't touched CM:A for a while now, but I didn't notice it then. I'll look into it tonight.

Not buying it tired of the garbage zerg rushes same old thing from shock force just set in the 80s now. your troops behave stupidly doesn't matter the skill level or what side you play as you are ALWAYS outnumbered. Love how it says you are going up against 50 and at the end of the game you total it up and you went up against 100 or more and you only get 40 troops who promptly get shot dead and unable to fight or simply run out of ammunition a few minutes in.

Thanks battlefront for making the demo and saving me $35

That means you don't know how to play the game. And I'm not sure it's possible to be outnumbered no matter what side you are on. You can't change the number of troops appearing in a scenario depending on whether blue or red is played. :D :D If you learned how to play like a tiger stalking his prey instead of being a white rabbit in a cage with a python, you might actually enjoy yourself.

I fired up the demo mission and I can see a few specific instances of what looks like guys firing through walls. In each case that I saw there was a door on an adjacent wall section in the same building tile, so I'm wondering if there is some abstraction at work that is not obvious. I haven't been able to replicate it at all outside of that scenario, but I'm reporting it.

About solders firing through walls. Well, if there is a door in that wall than that is correct behavior.

Generally this is intended to allow a larger group of soldiers to be able to shoot without having very complex AI to simulate guys taking turns firing out of a restricted space, i.e. it's an abstraction.

About solders firing through walls. Well, if there is a door in that wall than that is correct behavior.

Well, of course it is not correct behavior. They should be allowed to shoot from the door position, granted, but not through the wall.

Don't fall for the temptations of Bug Appeasement!

Furthermore, it seems that soldiers shoot through window and doorless walls.

Best regards,

Thomm

... but please keep in mind that CM abstracts openings in walls from shell impacts, cracks etc. that are not visible in the texture or model.

If this means that soldiers can shoot through damaged walls then it is perhaps even a cool feature.

However, shooting through an undamaged wall without openings should be treated as a BUG.

Best regards,

Thomm

I am quite aware of the abstractions in the game having played it for 3 years. However, this specific 'bug' allows soldiers to shoot through building walls where there are no doors or windows.

I dont get the simulated cracks in walls idea unless this means all walls are cracked all the time.