First impressions

Amedeo

Got the game! :)

Here are my forst impression after a quick "browsing" and playing...

PROS

-Different feel from CMSF, it's really a new game and not a modded Shock Force.

-Extended timeline (1978-1992) with respect to the Soviet-Afghan war proper (1979-1989) that allows to recreate also the fight between the Regular Army and insurgents in the months before Soviet intervention and the ensuing civil war.

-Shilkas! :D

CONS

-No check for equipement avalability dates in the Quick Battles (i.e. you can get BMP-2 in 1979)

-Too many wrong uniforms! DVD troopers with red shoulder straps, fantasy greatcoats, officers' hat badges for enlisted troops etc.

I'm not implying that the above mentioned cons are a deal breaker (I bought the game and I still mantain that, at that price, for me, it's a bargain) but just imagine the uproar if in CMBB Tigers could appear in 1941 QBs or Gebirgsjaeger had azure forage caps! ;)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played "A Counter Ambush" last night and barely started the first campaign. Have to say I'm loving it, what a great addition to the series and totally agree that it feels completely different from CMSF.

My biggest impression was how little I know about Soviet organization and equipment. The squads are small, HQs are sometimes like a squad, sometimes like an HQ. RPGs are organic to the Soviet squads. Interesting, weird, and different but I love it!!

Another big impression is CC which is so much more like CM1 than what I'm used to playing modern US troops. Have to keep those HQs close again!

So cool going up against and enemy where I'm armed with AKs and RPGs when they are carrying a mix of M16s, PPsh, and Lee Enfields!!

The change of time, scene, equipment and terrain is soooo cool.

Haven't seen or used a Shilka yet!! :)

Yes, I had to cackle evilly the first time I saw those four barrels.

Overall, the combat does feel much less precise and more about brute firepower than precision fire, the fighting could get really bloody as both sides are (asymmetrically) well matched. No enemy ATGMs either, so if you can get your armor into a good position, you can rain death with impunity. Terrian however makes this a bit tricky at times and gives good opertunities for RPG ambushes.

The late-era spetsnaz mounted in BMP-2s is an interesting combo, you usually don't see SOF i CM and now you get mechanized SOF.

One thing that is sorely lacking though is a way to have CAS drop parallel to your position. With no JTAC, unguided bombs, and maps where you're usually danger close makes for some scary CAS. Those pilots seem to interpret my target as more of a suggestion :D . Make sure you get everyone in good cover before you call in any bombs.

One thing that is sorely lacking though is a way to have CAS drop parallel to your position. With no JTAC, unguided bombs, and maps where you're usually danger close makes for some scary CAS. Those pilots seem to interpret my target as more of a suggestion :D . Make sure you get everyone in good cover before you call in any bombs.

yeah jaja, i got scared when my first ever artillery shell landing in CM:A, it landed right ontop of my platoon HQ (spotter!) thankfully no one was hurt, but it was a grim reminder...this isnt CMSF

Just finished the first mission of the 1980 campaign and wow! Like everyone else says, the game feels a lot different than CMSF. I was able to force the Muj into surrendering while suffering 2 KIA / 4 WIA. You should have seen my face when I realized that my Motorized squads were so small and fragile. I also realized that they carry very little ammunition!

Well done, Snowball.

Just a couple quick things that stuck out to me (just got the full game about two hours ago) and I haven't had much time to get deep into it. Oh, and before the two D*cks that should not be named, pick apart every single thing I type...these are EARLY impressions.

I dig the intro...man, it REALLY sets the mood for this game. More so than anything I've heard or seen in a war game since CMBO and I think it does even a better job than that...without utilizing video. There is something dark and foreboding about this whole setting and it's a good set up.

I was screwing around in the editor and found a nice little addition...you can set force strength...or I should say, create squads with casualties in scenarios. Nice to have this feature back!

Played the demo scenarios last night and enjoyed them. Didn't get to finish one of them, though...but they were a nice introduction to the setting.

Can't wait to try out all the different force make ups and the like...there's a lot of alien stuff to explore and it's gonna be cool learning more about this war and having an environment to game it in.

Mord.

First ever Hind flies over and sprays cannon fire all over the place very impressively. Nice, I like that! Second Hind flies over and lines up rockets perfectly down Soviet forward trench "safely" outside the target area... :)

First ever Hind flies over and sprays cannon fire all over the place very impressively. Nice, I like that! Second Hind flies over and lines up rockets perfectly down Soviet forward trench "safely" outside the target area... :)

i just did that ambush mission,out of 4 gun runs, 1 directed to an "enemy area" the other 3 right ontop of my troops... like if there were directed towards them...not impressed jaja so much for the legendary HIND...

Guys, when you use artillery and air support remember that if when you call for it and select Emergency the support will arrive sooner but there is a lot higher chance that it won't land on target and can cause friendly fire.

I've been beta-testing CM:A for a year and I don't remember ever getting Friendly Fire (aside from occasional rocket).

Guys, when you use artillery and air support remember that if when you call for it and select Emergency the support will arrive sooner but there is a lot higher chance that it won't land on target and can cause friendly fire.

I wasn't using Emergency, but I've just thought of what it might have been - the attack direction of the helicopter may have put the hill where the trench was "in the way" of a strike on the target on the *cough* other side of the hill. I vaguely remember seeing that happen in base CM:SF - guess it's more likely with the more mountainous terrain in CM:A and something to watch out for with the air support. I blame the pixelpilot. :)

I've been beta-testing CM:A for a year and I don't remember ever getting Friendly Fire (aside from occasional rocket).

Well i just lost 3/4 of a squad that killed dozens of the enemy, im not happy :mad:

the thing is the Hind deliberatelly targetted my units, never seen such precise FF!

and yeah im not blaming the game, its the pixels

The chance of Friendly Fire also depends in large part on the quality of the pilot. If you've got a regular-or-lower pilot flying a mediocre gunship in low light conditions accidents will happen.

I recall in the CMSF Brit module my men once got whacked good by a friendly Tornado dropping a 2000 lb bomb directly on top of them at dusk! Ouch!

Not buying it tired of the garbage zerg rushes same old thing from shock force just set in the 80s now. your troops behave stupidly doesn't matter the skill level or what side you play as you are ALWAYS outnumbered. Love how it says you are going up against 50 and at the end of the game you total it up and you went up against 100 or more and you only get 40 troops who promptly get shot dead and unable to fight or simply run out of ammunition a few minutes in.

Thanks battlefront for making the demo and saving me $35

ot buying it tired of the garbage zerg rushes same old thing from shock force just set in the 80s now. your troops behave stupidly doesn't matter the skill level or what side you play as you are ALWAYS outnumbered. Love how it says you are going up against 50 and at the end of the game you total it up and you went up against 100 or more and you only get 40 troops who promptly get shot dead and unable to fight or simply run out of ammunition a few minutes in.

Infantry in CQC i'll admit is lacklustre and sometimes (especially when clearing rooms) an outright disaster. However, at moderate ranges its passable, and the briefings don't always tell the truth (no armor expected should ring the alarm bells!).

your troops behave stupidly doesn't matter the skill level or what side you play as you are ALWAYS outnumbered
This is incorrect. Play outpost assaulted and I can assure you the Muj will have more guys then the soviets.

Well I've just spent half hour playing my first battle - it's FABULOUS!! It plays so totally different to Shock Force it's uncanny!! I'm loving it. It reminds me how I felt when I first started playing CMBO/CMBB and CMAK! You really feel for these little guys ducking for cover, with random small arms fire all over the place. The close combat feels more intense to me. Thanks a lot guys!