The 9th Company

MeatEtr

I installed Arma 1 after having it on my shelf for four years because my last computer was too weak. I applied four patches to it.

Still, there were bugs in the missions! During the campaign, I was tasked with shooting up a convoy from a water tower. It took me half a magazine to kill a single enemy. Helicopter flying is insanely hard. I played a few hours, then uninstalled it.

I played all OFP games back in their day. Nowadays, I cannot muster the stamina to crawl around for minutes only to be shot dead by an unseen enemy, to look for the last remaining soldier to end a mission after erasing a whole base on my own. Too much real life for that.

Somehow, I am relieved, because I have no idea what to play apart from CM. ArmA was my big hope, but I am not masochistic enough for it any more. BiA: Hell's Highway also comes to mind, but it is also more of the same.

I checked ArmA 2 reviews, but they are even more devastating!

I shall give the demo a try, though.

Best regards,

Thomm

Stags 2 cents about ARMA 2.

The 9th Company film was a good war film, along the lines of platoon or full metal jacket and it was well worth getting to watch on dvd. It also brought me into the area of interest of the Soviet Afghan war as I had not previously looked into the conflict.

The 9th company game on steam is quite good. It is more so a modification of Men Of War however as it uses the same engine and the gameplay is exactly the same. It does not follow historical scenarios but loosely follows the film and loosely follows some battles of the war, such as the Panshjir valley offensives. It is not a waste of 10 quid if you want something to do as the game is very challenging.

I didn't like Arma at all. The inaction to action ratio plus the action itself didn't nterest me and I will play most shooters for a couple days at least. I'll give 9th company a whirl tho thx.

The voice overdubs on one version of 9th company are horrible and really take away from the scenes and come off really cheesy, almost hilarious. If you do watch it, try to get the subtitled version..You can find it on amazon. Great story! real company of young men that were in the real s%&t although the ending is pure hollywood.

Well I finally watched 9th Company last night and it was well worth the wait. Although the ending battle was pretty cheesy over-the-top Hollywood crap. But beyond that, it was a solid war movie.

Yeah the English voice overs are horrible, I was using headphones and the sound quality is night and day difference. The English overdub completely butchers the overall sound quality of the movie. Although it didn't really matter to me since I always prefer reading the subtitles and hearing the native spoken language.

Besides, those that listen to the overdubs are lazy non-readers. :D

As for the off topic stuff, it's all good as long it's about great games like the OFP/Arma series. I just recently bought Arma 2: Op Arrowhead and am loving it. It's great and makes for some real side-by-side playing with CMSF and CMA with the very similar desert/mountainous terrain and similar units. They got British DLC and now a just released PMC(Private Military Company) DLC. Basically the PMC is like the Mercs from Blackwater. So it is essentially mimicking forces and recent events of Iraq and Afghanistan but using fictional names.

By the way, you can completely customize the difficulty of the AI from being braid dead can't-hit-the-broad-side-of-a-barn type to being super human terminators. Helps to avoid the annoying super accurate and super spotting ability of the default AI settings.

I'm just getting into ARMA2 right now, and I love it. It's best played as a group which has led me to searching for a group of like minded players and join their community.

This game looks amazing on a powerful computer, and the amount of detail, DLC and the ability to recreate almost anything you want with the editor is amazing.

When you want a quick fix of action, it's best to have a 2nd "backup" game on hand, for me it's BF2:Project Reality.

9th company was a decent flick as I remember it, I think a re-watch is in order.