Religion and the US Army

I am not aware how much air-time it is getting over there but it did make me wince to see atheists/music lovers put on jankers for not going to a Christian act concert paid for by the US army.

http://www.alternet.org/story/147937/soldiers_punished_for_refusing_to_attend_christian_rock_show_?page=entire

While the US constitution welcomes all races and creeds it looks like some in the Army have the idea it ought to be a Christian organisation - and are prepared to get tax-payers money for it.

OK it seems it is down to one General but what the hell does he think he is up to? And as for the Army EO system - that comes up smelling - but not of roses.

...it looks like some in the Army have the idea it ought to be a Christian organisation - and are prepared to get tax-payers money for it.

Yeah, there was an article in Harper's several months back on this. A worrying trend. Armies have always tried to claim that God, or the gods, were on their side, so this is not a new phenomenon, but I don't like all the ramifications of it rearing its ugly head here yet again.

Michael

Oh no! The US Army is run by Christians and your position on religion may affect whether you get promoted!

This has been the case since the Revolutionary War, and is nothing new. Maybe Harper's ran an article, or someone else did a expose, but at the end of the day the military tells the media to butt out and goes on with its business.

Oh no! The US Army is run by Christians and your position on religion may affect whether you get promoted!

This has been the case since the Revolutionary War, and is nothing new. Maybe Harper's ran an article, or someone else did a expose, but at the end of the day the military tells the media to butt out and goes on with its business.

Or maybe not:

In response to the incident, the Army said Friday it will investigate. "If something like that were to have happened, it would be contrary to Army policy," Army spokesman Col. Thomas Collins told The Associated Press.

I thought you yanks were quite hot on the "establishment clause" that the Govt shall not promote religion? And AFAIK isn't the military part of the Govt....so active prostilysing by the Army (forcing soldiers to xian events)would apprear to be a pretty obvious breach of the constitution?

Or maybe not:

I thought you yanks were quite hot on the "establishment clause" that the Govt shall not promote religion? And AFAIK isn't the military part of the Govt....so active prostilysing by the Army (forcing soldiers to xian events)would apprear to be a pretty obvious breach of the constitution?

Of course it's contrary to the official policy. But what the Colonel says on the record and what actually happens don't necessarily square. I don't need a Kiwi to tell me what's in the Constitution, but there's a pattern of behavior that continues to repeat: something like this happens or someone is denied a promotion because they don't fit in with the Christian establishment that is entrenched in the upper echelons of the US military, they take umbrage and the media gets a hold of it. Then maybe some Lt. Colonel on his way out gets a letter of reprimand, the media leave, and everything goes back to the way it was. I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying it's there. Where's wbs when you need a homey anecdote about Southern, God-fearing officers concurrently serving out enlistments in the US Army and the Army of the Lord?

:rolleyes: Wonderful, first biblical symbols on rifles and now soldiers getting punished for not attending church/concert. They should make an example of the general and at the least demote him, or better yet a discharge. Sadly though I doubt anything will become of it.

Its kind of a love-hate relationship with the US military and organized religion. While religiosity may be wonderful in foxholes, the rest of the time it is a pain for the troops who really don't want it shoved down their throats. After all, most of them are savvy to the fact that they are supposed to be fighting for freedom of religion (or freedom from religion).