Addictive but dead

Stalins Organ

REcently I've been looking at getting back into this game & spoken to a couple of other "old timers".

We all agree it was a great game - immersive, addictive, challenging - all the good things.

But, as we all know, it tanked :(

I wonder if there's a better way to charge for it to bring it back to life?

The basic option is give the game away as a free download and then charge for somethign that is ongoing - eg per game or aircraft - IMO per game would be better - per aircraft and you eventually run out of aircraft to charge for!

anyway - getting up & running again is a bit of a hassle - it no longer works on my HD due to reinstalling XP at least once and changing HD's at least twice since it last ran, plus you can't jsut get the licence # from BFC & redownload it as you can from at least 1 other games site (;)), and I can't find the CD.....

I have some more time this weekend & I'll sort it out then!

Replying to myself...a sure sign of madness! :) But I see this thread has had 21 views as of today...so someone is reading it:cool:

I've had a blast reading this forum over the last 2 days - all the way back to day 1 - there's some fascinating history back then - quite a few of hhte links I have provided to a/c info no longer work so I will look at bumping a few old threads with updates where I can do so - I used to post on here as "Stalins Organ" and then "Mike" way back when one could have multiple logins due to various forum crashes....

I find it strange to think that this game is 5 years old - my memories are still quite clear & sharp......despite a couple of years of playing my kids' MMORPG (as all good parents should! ;)), lots of figure gaming, and starting cmopetition ballroom dancing in between. :D

I've had a couple of replies from BFC about how I can get my licence number back again (thanks guys) so will go down that path if I can't find my CD's

Everything worked fine - updates loaded...once I remembered my password it remembered me...all my old pilots where there...I was horrified to see The Bride had 200k experience for his top pilot!! :)

But it wouldn't let me load a game so I've submitted a ticket with all the info I had on the error & We'll see how it goes...

vCleaner has done it's thing & I can start the game again - but when I try to go online now it tells me here are updated files & when I try to update it gets an error. And of course I can't go online without the updated files.

Clicking OK on the error & trying a local game gives an different error - another ticket seems likely....

Deleted my last version & reloaded it all again. changed the update config & it all works now - even had a game or 2 & managed o avoid being shot down!

Don't think I'll be trying for the most kills for a while tho! :)

One thing left to do is sort out the campaign appearance - I'm using Firefox & the campaign description overlaps the squadron roster in some cases, which makes it very hard to use. I'll see if there's anything in the knowledge base etc about that over the next week or so.

I have renewed my interest in the PC version of DIF. My friend and I still play the card game version all the time, both dogfights and campaigns. I even tried the solitaire Night Missions. Not the best, but it works when no one else is up to a full game.

After getting my PC up and running again I downloaded the demo and played a few games online against the AI. I then went to the Leaderboard site (http://downinflamesgames.com:8888/DiFPortal/Default.aspx?tabid=1) to check my stats and was shocked.

The website doesn't even work properly anymore. There are buttons and graphics that don't even appear. There is no Logon button to press after you fill in your user name and password. I played one mission and shot down one enemy pilot and was crowned Last Weeks Winner. This means I was the only person out there who played a mission in the last 7 days?

Has user participation and site maintenance really fallen that low? I know I'm not exactly a power player/user but I am surprised. It really is a great game for when you don't want to spend hours poring over 40 pages of rules to play a military/wargame that takes hours to complete.

Just my 2 cents worth.

P.S. Just went to the site and now the buttons were visible. And no its not my computer. I logged in using several different computers and have multiple problems loading and viewing the pages. Has Battlefront given up on DIF?

I'm pretty sure there's no "development" going on ATM. Looking at he leaderboard i guess there's a handful of people still playing.

I get different things not showing at the leaderboard site - like the medals/ranks page pictures - they show fine on the leaderboard itself, but not on the page that describes how you get the medals.

I did have a brief chat with someone online who was having problems with the campaign system - newly created campaigns weren't showing in his available list to play. But I was heading out & didn't have time to try to help.

Hoola- glad to be of some use! :)

• 8 months later...

I am going to Necro this thread (hey it is less than a year old...not that bad). I was thinking of purchasing Down in Flames...but alas considering what I have read about it being dead and the site not being maintained and falling apart...and right now the demo link seems dead....is it worth it? Has anybody at battlefront or fans thought about cleaning it up and at least putting it on life support?