CMBO with Windows 7?

To my knowledge it should work. Unlike CMBB and CMAK there was no patch to update some of the DirectX calls for DirectX 10/Vista/Win 7. You will probably want to right-click on the shortcut to launch the game and select "Run as administrator" from the popup menu. It typically should NOT need to run in any 'Compatibility mode' ('Windows XP Service Pack 3', etc.), though that might not be true of the disc-based copy protection version (sold before Summer 2006). There is the possibility that the game may have to run in 'Software Rendering' mode, which will result in a max resolution of 640x480 and some very bad looking textures.

Is your version an eLicense version or the disc-based copy protected version ? If it is the eLicense version, make sure you UNLICENSE the game on your Windows XP computer before disposing of it.

Also, if you're using the eLicense version, you may want to temporarily disable whatever anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware/firewall/internet-security applications you may be using when attempting to license and possibly run the game. eLicense does have some issues with some security programs and sometimes even disabling them is not enough.

I didn't know CM1 required elicense these days. I recently bought a 2nd set of all three CM1 games as back-ups against the day the originals get lost or broken and all copies on my machines also mysteriously disappear (yes, I am paranoid).

If I reinstall from the new disks I bought a month or so ago from BFC, will I need to elicense?? (God I hope not.)

All games purchased from Battlefront since the Summer of 2006 (with the exception of TacOps 4) use eLicense as the copy-protection/DRM solution. So if you recently purchased a game from us, then it does use eLicense.

Previously we used a disc-based copy-protection scheme. Copies of the CMx1 series purchased before the Summer of 2006 will use this scheme. The copies that you recently purchased will require that you use eLicense to run the game. The actual files are different from the older copies you have because of the different copy-protection scheme compiled into the executable.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, you can copy/paste a CMx1 install from one place to the other without any problems. at least it worked for me with CMBB. i have my "ready to play" CMBB install with a huge amount of scenarios and BMP mods packed as a .rar file burned on a CD. and to make sure i dont loose it, i dublicated this CD twice.

why bother with new discs/download when you can simply replicate your old discs, if you still got them? make a "image" of the disk and burn it onto another disc. when you have a DvD burner you can even burn CMBO/CMBB/CMAK onto one DvD.

if you installed a E license CMx1 version, you can not copy/paste the game or transfer it to another computer without going through troubles with E license, so better stay away from E license if you still can.

Someone told me he has the CM1 games on a flash drive so can carry them around and play on any computer.

I know that the CM1 games play fine on my Win7.

Do the new elicense versions (which I recently bought for emergencies only) have any extra stuff on them compared to the originals (scenarios, mods or any upgrades)?

Current versions of CMBB and CMAK are v. 1.04 since Summer of 2009. This basically helps a bit with Windows Vista and Windows 7 (and newer video drivers, on occasion).

I *think* there may be some additional scenarios/ops for CMBB and CMAK compared to the original 1.03 releases, but I'm not certain of that. This isn't, brand-new, unavailable content, just some additional scenarios that got included (if I'm correct).

However there is a bigger issue involving eLicense and attempting to port-around the games on a flash-memory drive - it won't work (in a simple manner). Activating the license key ties the game to that particular computer - UNTIL YOU UNLICENSE IT. Once you unlicense the game on that computer, then you have a free activation to use on another computer. You could potentially have a lot of INSTALLs of the game, but only TWO installs can be concurrently licensed/activated to play. So a flash-memory USB stick holding the current eLicense versions of the game isn't instantly accessible to playing on another computer. You will need have to have a free activation available, license it on the computer (which will require internet access on that computer or another one that is readily available) and finally you'll want to UNLICENSE the game once you are done playing on that computer.

The earlier versions used a disc-based copy protection scheme that users have been able to circumvent (which is why we went to eLicense). So the flash-drive portability involves either cracked versions or additional files that take up quite a bit of space.

Yes, I understand the non-portability issues re e-license. I was talking about keeping an old version on a flash card which apparently works fine on any computer. Very convenient but unfortunately open to expensive abuse.

Mind you... it is scary that we are moving towards a society where one doesn't actually get to own what one buys, only acquire a license to it - music especially. It's a real pain when one buys music and then you can't copy it to play in your car or at your other house etc. The Ipod issue is really annoying when I want to play something I downloaded on my Bose. This path ends up by depriving people of any sort of property which will always remain owned by a corporation... banks for example.

Actually, as I think about it I realize that it's a move towards a form of feudalism. One should have an option for outright purchase vs license. Rather like a 99 year lease vs freehold.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Abrams - it sounds like you may have an ATI video card on your laptop. There is a bug in the ATI/AMD Catalyst drivers that has been present for years. There is a workaround, which isn't perfect, but will make the text visible again. You will need to download the 'Radeon_Text_Fix' and copy the BMP files for the text to your CMBO install.

There's a link to the Radeon Text Fix zip file in this Text in game is unreadable Knowledgebase article.

Ok so far so good...

For CMBB I kept getting the message that I need a res of at least 800 x 600 to run the game. This was maddening as I have a high res.

I tried setting it to just 800 x 600 and rebooting, Same error. Considered just buying a computer with NVIDIA card.

Finally I downloaded the ATI Catalyst Control Center (ATI CCC) software for my Radeon. I highly recommend this for Radeon notebook users.

1) Go to Basic View

2) Quick Settings Tab

3) Notebook Panel Properties

4) Select "Resize the desktop to fit the display panel"

After you have done this you can change your screen resolution back to what it was previously and the games that run at 800 x 600 should play in fullscreen

CMBB should be capable of running at a resolution higher than 800x600. That is the minimum (and last) resolution that the game will support before it gives an error during the resolution selection process.

CMBB, CMAK and CMBO will NOT support the widescreen resolutions that have become common among LCD and laptop displays. So depending on your video card/chip, the display may either 'scale' to the entire display or possibly 'centered' within the screen, covering only part of the display.

• 3 weeks later...