World of Tanks

Guest Guest

Yar, I've been playin' it. German TD line, as well as making my way to a Panther. Fun little action game,but some very odd results at times. They've thrown some seriously up gunned tanks together with mostly historical armour values which really makes for short games, and less of a tactical feel.

I'm a bit bitter as one of my favourite little CM toys, the Hetzer, was a major disappointment in this game. Low to the ground, steeply sloped armour, and a decent gun. And it was awful. Even the few ricochets scored on my little Hetzer would still knock 2-3 subsystems out, one of which was always the engine. Grr.

I was hoping for more of a sim, but this'll do, for now.

What I found unacceptable, and put me off, was that you can have tasnks of different nations on the same side. I do expect an element of realism! : )

PS I am also a little wary of Russian games in case they are laced with rootkit. I am not suggesting the games company is involved but someone might find it useful to insert code for later use.

Spent a couple days with it, upgraded the tank... bought a new tank, tried all the maps.

If you liked Day of Defeat you'll like it. There's less "twitch" and more thinking, but the gameplay is the same. Be patient - you'll be fighting Tigers and T-34's in your MS-1 for a while. Ultimately not my cup of tea but I think it will do well.

Don't you mean Red Orchestra, since DoD had no tanks at all? If it is like RO then I will certainly like it. Although would like it more of a simulation than arcade shoot-em-up with tanks.

i got a key yesterday, it was a matter of minutes. dont fill the official application but go to the link posted at dosomefink forums that leads to curse client site. you simply register an account and get a beta key. as said a matter of minutes. you can forgett about the account as soon as you are done with the process.

good fun this game, no sim but not too arcadish either, a fun mix. i am saving for a StugIII right now.

i got a key yesterday, it was a matter of minutes. dont fill the official application but go to the link posted at dosomefink forums that leads to curse client site. you simply register an account and get a beta key. as said a matter of minutes. you can forgett about the account as soon as you are done with the process.

good fun this game, no sim but not too arcadish either, a fun mix. i am saving for a StugIII right now.

Sweet I got a key, downloading now. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

For anybody else looking for a key, go here: curse.com/keys/world-of-tanks/default.aspx (pretty sure this is not commercial, it's a MMO database site, no products)

Only 29% left and it ends tomorrow, so hurry up. Apparently you get a free M3 Stuart with this promotion too.

finally got it work.

What fun.

managed 2 games before i went to bed.Died in first game but shot at 2 tanks.Got 2 kills in second game and survived.I can see this game being a blast once you get bigger and better tanks.:D

It feels kinda hokey, pretty lame starting out with the light tanks getting slaughtered by medium/heavy tanks. I don't know, only played for an hour so far. Makes me miss tanking in RO.

It feels kinda hokey, pretty lame starting out with the light tanks getting slaughtered by medium/heavy tanks. I don't know, only played for an hour so far. Makes me miss tanking in RO.

When you start out you can play in a "recruits battle," which only allows Tier II tanks and below. In "standard battles," the purpose of light tank is to sight as many enemy tanks as possible before exploding catastrophically.

as long as you have tier I or II vehicles stick to "recruit" battles. there are tier III light tanks that are better in everything to scout in "standard" battles, but dont go to "standard" with tier I or II vehicles.

when you get the first tier III it will also get verry hard for some time till you get used to haveing the lowest vehicle on the field. play accordingly, try to survive and cash a lot of XP with kill assists till you upgrade.

yea, in case you did not notice, in the "garage" when you see the tank slots on the bottom of the screen, the slots where tanks are stored show a roman number in the top left corner. like III for the M3 and I for the MS1 and the leichttraktor. thats the "tier" the vehicle is in.

by now i sold my tier I vehicles and i have a PzII and a PzJg1, both tier II fully upgraded. keep maybe two tier II vehicles to cash good mony and XP and recruit battles.

i just played once with the stuart, i think when it is upgraded it makes for a decent scout in "standard", but dont get hit by anything big :D

Well apparently starting out using the M3 Stuart is a deathwish. The option to use it with Recruit level is greyed out. So I started using the other light ones with better results. At least now I have a fighting chance.

The Stuart is a Tier III tank, so it's above the recruit threshold. You'll never rack up a big kill score in a Stuart, but the general opinion of this tank is still high, and I'm inclined to agree. Your purpose is to scout, maybe damage some tracks, and then die horrendously, but the repair costs are very low, and all of the technology is pretty good. I recently fought a standard battle with the M3 and located two enemy tanks and scored no hits before getting killed, but still got 200 experience and 3000 credits, while my tank required only 400 points to repair. A +2600 credit exchange is not a bad deal, despite the vulnerability.