Setting Resolution Prefs

Can one set CM1 resolution prefs similar to CMSF?

I know how to delete the Prefs file and then when one restarts the game one can choose from the preset options.

But, I play CMSF at 2800x1200 (I forget exact numbers) on a 30" screen, and CM1 looks rather chunky at the max resolution that the in-game options allow.

To my knowledge the CMx1 series maxes out at 1600x1200. Your display may be 'stretching pixels' to map the 1600x1200 onto the native 2800x1200, which will look odd. It would be a loss of screen real estate, but it might be possible to have the display perform a 1:1 pixel mapping (resulting in a much narrower image) or have your video card do it.

There is a way to edit the Prefs file with a Hex editor to change the resolution, but I don't know where that info is at

I forget... is 1600x1200 the max option when you delete the prefs file and then restart a CM1 game?

I deleted my Prefs file, but when I restarted CMAK I was NOT asked to choose a resolution. It just started and looked the same as before! Is this a phenomenon of Win7?

If you have launched the game without Prefs AND without 'Run as administrator', then there is probably a Prefs file in your 'VirtualStore' directory hidden within your account folder. That would be the file that CMAK is probably looking at and would need to be deleted in order to reset the resolution (which does go through the resolution selection process when the Prefs file is deleted).

The file will probably be found in the following location (which will be hidden unless you tell Windows Explorer to show 'hidden files'):

'\Users\{your account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Afrika Korps'

You will not be able to see the 'VirtualStore' directory unless you have gone to the 'Organize' menu > 'Folder and Search Options' > 'View' tab > in the 'Hidden files and folders' section 'Show hidden files and folders' is selected and 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)' is UNCHECKED.

• 2 weeks later...

It may also be something to do with your video card(?).

After I deleted my prefs file and restarted any CM1 game, it automatically offered me the 2048x1536 resolution (as the max).

However I suspect your 1280x1024 res may make the game look pretty good. On my 30" monitor, the image is just starting to break down into pixels etc.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I am running Windows 7 64bit with a Radeon HD5770 1Gb card. CMAK is v1.03. I have the latest drivers for the video card and am running DX 9.0c. My problems are:

I can't get any resolution other than 800*600 (the game names the HD5770 when asking about the resolution)

I also get blocks of black squares on the screen in the map protion.

I have tried Alt-tab out and back but that did not fix it. I am running this in XP/SP2 mode.

Do I need the v1.04 patch????

Thanks for any help.

James

The 'black squares' on the screen are an artifact of the ATI/AMD Catalyst drivers as you can see in this thread. I don't think that the 1.04 patch will fix this, but you can try the CMAK 1.04 Demo and see if it behaves the same or not. The 1.04 patch for CMBB and CMAK updated a few of the DirectX commands to make them a bit more compatible with the latest DirectX 10 video cards and drivers. These DirectX updates, can on occasion, fix some issues. However I suspect that the 'black squares' will remain, even with the 1.04 patch.

It's possible that the latest Catalyst drivers may be a bit problematic for CMBB and CMAK. If you have the time, you may want to uninstall your current Catalyst drivers and try something older. You may want to try the Catalyst 10.3, but I'm not sure which Catalyst driver may be best for the CMx1 series.

To my knowledge the 'XP SP2' compatibility mode is NOT necessary. However if you're running this from the '\Program Files (x86)' directory, then I suggest running it by right-clicking the shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu (even if your user account is 'Computer Administrator').