ATI Radeon HD 5870 video card problem

I have recently purchased a Dell Windows 7 desktop with a ATI Radeon HD 5870 video card in it. It works perfectly for CMSF and CMBO but in CMBB and CMAK I see three small black digitized patches in the upper portion of the screen. I'm sure this is a video card problem (maybe shutting on or off anti-alias) but I am no expert on how to manage this. I have attached a picture to show this. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Tom Konczal

post-6205-141867621812_thumb.jpg

This is a problem seen with some of newer Radeons and the Catalyst drivers for them. This thread mentions the same problem that you're seeing. The solution for one person on there was to upgrade to the 1.04 patch. If you have downloaded the game within the last year, then you will already be running at 1.04 (or should be). For people who have purchased a retail version (CDV) of the CMx1 series or purchased the game before July 2009, then they may be running 1.03, which will definitely exhibit this problem.

You can find your version in the lower right hand corner of the main screen when you initially launch CM. If you're running 1.03 and you want to see if 1.04 will resolve this issue, try the CMBB Demo or the CMAK Demo.

Some people have reported additional problems with some of the latest Catalyst drivers too (10.5, 10.6 ?). I'm not sure if you'll run into the same problem or not.

• 5 months later...

Thank you, Schrullenhaft, and please pass my thanks on to Philip Culliton, as well.

I was also experiencing this "floating black box" issue on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 running Catalyst 10.12 drivers.

I followed your advice, downloaded and checked the CMBB and CMAK demos. They did not have the issue, so I got both 1.04 patches and I'm pleased to report that the "floating black box" issue is no longer present for me in CMBB & CMAK. :)