Any Recommendations?

I am coming back to SC after a long absence - I always seem to find it the best of the lot when it comes to strategic play. Having not played since PDE, I passed over Pacific Theater, but was intrigued by Global Conflict and recently made the purchase. I see several mods in the Repository that have a large number of downloads. With multiple campaigns to choose from and limited time, are there any recommendations as to which is the best? Are the mods a better experience than the game's included '39 campaign? In addition, when it comes to just wanting to play the European Theater, should I stay with PDE or go with one of the mods from Global Conflict?

I'm not looking to cut my teeth on finding bugs or making gameplay suggestions, just enjoyment in playing. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

1938 Calm before the storm is my top reccomendation. Try it verus Allied AI at 100% diffuculty to really get the feel of the Russians overwhelming resistance to the Germans as the war progresses, and Axis over extension. It has a completely different feel from the other games, as you will find out. The days/MPP production per turn changes greatly depending on the season, and the feeling of a preperations, and execution of a summer campaign is very evident. There are well over 100 decision events, most of which are not cut and dry and as the campaign progresses you will find yourself looking back at your mistakes, and will already be looking forward to starting another campaign.