Interceptors

jeep

Is there any way to make your fighters (jets,etc) automatically intercept all air units that enter visible (and reachable) range?

Seems like they MAY already do this to some extent, but only if the bombers/tac targeted the city they are IN.

What I would like is fighters that could be given "intercept" field orders, and they would automatically launch and pursue any enemy aircraft that comes in range.

This would make radar bases / awacs more valuable.

The intercept flight path would not know the enemy's orders of course, so they may not be able to intercept, but they should still try (given you have the oil).

Is there any way to make your fighters (jets,etc) automatically intercept all air units that enter visible (and reachable) range?

Seems like they MAY already do this to some extent, but only if the bombers/tac targeted the city they are IN.

What I would like is fighters that could be given "intercept" field orders, and they would automatically launch and pursue any enemy aircraft that comes in range.

This would make radar bases / awacs more valuable.

The intercept flight path would not know the enemy's orders of course, so they may not be able to intercept, but they should still try (given you have the oil).

Good point. The way things should currently work, the aircraft can intercept enemies, but only in specific cases. They actually run a calculation to figure out if they can catch the enemy units. (That calculation is based on your unit's speed, the enemy's speed, the enemy's direction of movement, etc.) I still want to make individual units smarter about doing reasonable things (including related stuff like automatically capturing resources).

Will they intercept if they are currently landed? Also, is there a specific range at which they check for intercept, or any visible unit (as soon as it becomes so)?

Aircraft will intercept enemy planes even if they are landed. I double-checked to make sure everything was working with this. There was a glitch with aircraft on carriers - they weren't intercepting when they should've. (The code to determine exactly which units should intercept is complicated.) Aircraft will only intercept if the enemy aircraft comes relatively close - within 80 pixels. This is slightly larger than the starting view circle of cities (before they are upgraded with radar), but shorter than radar range.