Latest Driver from Nvidia

Phil, something to keep in mind:

Developers and enthusiasts can now get their hands on Nvidia's second OpenGL 4.1-supporting graphics driver for both Windows (version 259.31) and Linux (v256.38.03). OpenGL 4.1 can only be 'unlocked' on Fermi-based products like the GeForce GTX 400 series the new Quadro cards.

So you are using a new driver, with new code, only available to the gtx 400 series cards. Doesn't help you, i know, but something to keep in mind. Hopefull nvidia will straighten out whatever they broke with the new code.

Rune

Soon as i posted this, I found this:

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281429

Looks like it IS an issue with the nvidia driver [no surprise], and other people are running into the problem/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks to you both for the replies. See, this is a definite plus when the customer service is so good.

Cheers. :)

I didn't realise the dynamic lighting has been a problem for so long - times flies. That's even more worrying really as it does suggest Nvidia couldn't care less about it. Do you know of any other game with the same type of problem? In fact, I can't think of another game coded in Open GL. Maybe Red Orchestra, but I don't know what made me think that..

No, I've not heard of another game with the same problem. However, when I did the Vista workaround for Combat Mission 1 - a problem with specific Nvidia cards / drivers again - I discovered, once I knew what the underlying issue was, that TONS of games had had problems with the same code, but with different symptoms. All games use graphics APIs in different ways.

I personally find the blurring quite a distraction on my little screen - I've got a dell Vostro with a 12" lcd. It's a powerful laptop however, with 4gb ram, a decent intel cpu and the 4500HD.

I've got a 12" Lenovo that's got very similar specs. I did find that using the latest drivers helped, but if you've got those - I dunno what a solution could be. I certainly wouldn't mind finding one, but it's very playable as is - the parts where text is important - the editor, the buttons, etc. - all seem to be okay for me. Is it the same for you?

So Rune, it's just a waiting game then I presume :( and we all know how long that can take don't we. It's very frustrating all things considered. I moved over to the 460 from an ATI 5850 due to problems with that card and SF, now the problems I have are probably somewhat worse. However that said, it's smoother on this card than it was with my 5850 so maybe that is a blessing in disguise.

Frustrating for us too. Anybody bitten by the ATI click bug knows that all too well. Unlike most other driver issues, this one actually prevented the game from being playable. We handed ATI's developer tech support the information they needed to fix the problem on a silver platter, even going so far as to identify exactly which OpenGL calls were getting screwed up. IIRC it took them almost a year to finally address the issue. Until then we had a bloody, and not very good, work around for people that at least got them able to play the game.

So yeah, do a search on "drivers" on our Forums and you're bound to see us expressing our... er... disappointment with card manufacturers.

Steve

Dear Battlefront, thank you for being present in this discussion, we just need to know that you are aware of our problems with those NVidia drivers.

I work in the software development sector, so I understand your position; but this problem will become greater and greater for you. New players will use recent NVidia cards, and all will have the problem. You really need a solution, even a temporary one.

I see that a solution from NVidia is not near. Can you think to a temporary workaround for us? A flag disabling all the reflected lights, would it be possible? We would see the flash of the weapons but not the reflected light on the walls. Better than now, for sure.

Good luck for Normandy Battlefront... I still hope you will migrate the engine to DirectX :D:P

I think that the lighting effect is useful only marginally for lighting purposes, it's cosmetic, so I can live well without the flashing even for night battles. Using the gamma control you can make it appear as evening.

PLEASE BATTLEFRONT REMOVE (optionally) THIS FLASHING HORROR, I give up the lights! I can't play night scenarios at all, now, so it would be a lot better IMHO...

I NEED CMSF :D

There's really no way to know whether the game or the drivers violate the OpenGL standard.

The older drivers could have patched up a game issue, or the older drivers just didn't expose an area that is broken in the game. That happens all the time as drivers get cleaned up to be faster (because making them faster usually means to be less forgiving about spec interpretation).

You would have to come up with a specific example of brokenness, with a piece of code to reproduce, to prove that it's NVidia's fault. You can't just take a closed source game and claim that it's somebody else's fault.

And it's not that we had any better luck in Direct3D. Beginning with fog issue on ATI cards and certainly not ending with initial DX10 drivers breaking CMx1 (both on ATI and NVidia cards).

• 1 month later...

No, unfortunately there is no option to disable dynamic lighting in the NATO module/1.30 patch.

I don't believe (but I'm not absolutely sure) that such a fix may make it into NATO or the last patch for CMSF. I believe however that this feature MAY (but not verified) be available for the CM Normandy title (or possibly a patch after the initial release).

No, unfortunately there is no option to disable dynamic lighting in the NATO module/1.30 patch.

I don't believe (but I'm not absolutely sure) that such a fix may make it into NATO or the last patch for CMSF. I believe however that this feature MAY (but not verified) be available for the CM Normandy title (or possibly a patch after the initial release).

Now that is a very interesting potential bone.