Usefullnes of strategic bombing

jayjoh

Okay, I understand this is an old game, but I just bought it a month or so ago. Kind of game I wish there were more of. But a couple of points in the rules puzzle me.

Like #1: Strategic bombing doesn't seem very effective. Bombing a city tends to knock it down by 1 -3 points typically (per attack). You also destroy a number of points "in the bank" by, what is it, 1 - 2 times the step reduction? So say you get a good die roll and knock the city down by 3. It recovers at one point a turn, so total loss to the defender is 3+2+1=6 points. Say you take out another 3 from the bank. Grand total loss =9.

Each bomber point initially costs 50 to build. So if just one bomber is shot down for each 5 attacks, the attacker will lose more PP's worth of bombers than he destroys. I'm not quite sure how to work out the expected bomber loss, but empirically I think the attacker loses about 1 bomber per two attacks or so.

This doesn't even count the oppportunity cost, i.e. the money used to build bombers could have been used to build something more effective.

Am I missing something or is strategic bombing pretty much a waste of time in this game?

I think you are correct in your understanding of the pure numbers. Mathematically, Strategic Bombing makes little sense in the game.

I think that has some real world analogy. British bomber command suffered an enormous casualtly rate (close to 50%, compared to around 3% for other services), and failed to stop the year-on-year production increases of the Germans.

On the other hand, it's not all about pure maths. Strategic bombing allowed the western allies to inflict pain on Germany whilst only engaging in the field in a limited way (compared to the Russians on the Eastern front). Basically strategic bombing in the game allows the western allies to undertake an additional (albeit expensive) lend-lease transfer to the Russians. The west can burn MPP's building bombers, and inflict pain on Germany, which might just be enough to prevent Germany builing that additional army they desperately need out east.

• 2 weeks later...

In SC-1, do NOT underestimate the value of a bomber unit. There is no reason to buy more bombers, but the starting one for England has importance.

The British bomber can be used for spotting (longer vision), attack naval units, finishing off a kill, or hitting "soft" resources.

• 2 weeks later...

they are very useful, even as a starter so the planes can get some more. if you leave france open you can knockout so much that the germans lose about 50mmps a turn.

would you be interested in a game as i still play just hard to find players online