Carrier intercept problem

I just tried the new 1.2 patch. Not sure if this is new, or I just never had it happen:

My Japenese carrier was 1 strength, and out of the range of the US carrier, set to fighter mode. The US carrier attacked another Japanese ship, and my 1 strenght carrier intercepted. We both took losses of air, but I took a ship hit as well and sunk.

How can this be right? My fighters were covering another ship, my carrier was not attacked, or even in range!

I can see losing air, but I should not get a ship hit. This seems wrong.

Do you happen to have a saved turn before this happened so I can take a look? As a general rule Carriers always have a slight chance of taking ship damage during aerial combat but if the intercepting Carrier was out of range then I can see that this would not be right.

If you have a saved turn I can look into this a bit more and see what the issue might be, thanks!

Hubert

Just checked, sorry, I do not have a save. It was a hotseat I was trying 1942 as both sides just to take a look at the new patch. The autosave is after the ship sank. It was the 2nd turn, I may be able to recreate it, but it would probably take awhile. I would think that anytime an attacking carrier takes hull damage, that it would be wrong, unless it is meant to abstract a returning plane crashing or something like that?

Just quoting Bill here as he posted a similar response in the Beta thread recently, this would happen if the enemy air is in range of your carrier, and represents its ability to target the carrier too (e.g. by following aircraft returning to the carrier, and bombing and strafing it themselves).