New Terrain: Swamp

Brit

Just added some new terrain to the game. Swamps really slow down movement, so roads or going around them is really the best option. (I was going to make swamps impassible, but it could make some cities and resources impossible to reach - at least until paratroopers are available.)

Screenshot from the random-map generator:

Swamp.png

That's cool! I recently made a remake map based on Strategic Command 1's European Theatre map and I had to use deserts as a substitute for swamps.

It also allows a bit more versatility if you want to make it impassible, you still have the other three terrain types to play with.

If I could suggest another terrain type, it would be "City", an urban terrain type that allows the expansion of cities into larger urban zones.

Also, how about allowing roads to be placed over water? This would give a land bridge type thing so that ships and land units could pass over the same spot. Think of the Suez canal, the Bosphorous et al, in EoS currently you can either make it passible by land or water but not both.

That's cool! I recently made a remake map based on Strategic Command 1's European Theatre map and I had to use deserts as a substitute for swamps.

If I could suggest another terrain type, it would be "City", an urban terrain type that allows the expansion of cities into larger urban zones.

Also, how about allowing roads to be placed over water? This would give a land bridge type thing so that ships and land units could pass over the same spot. Think of the Suez canal, the Bosphorous et al, currently you can either make it land or water but not both.

True. What I did for the suez canal in my scenario was I set it up as a city. Cities allow land and sea units to move through it - although, you have to own the city in order to move through it.

I've been working on impassible terrain, too. This is mostly to simulate sheer cliffs and other bad areas.

Re: Jungle

I was surprised how easy it was to add swamps. Other terrain probably shouldn't be too hard, either. Don't know when I'll get to it though.

Re: searching and automatically picking up resources?

I think I'll have to add some better AI to the individual units. Probably have to sit down and think about how the units should act in order to do what you want. (Example: if you're chasing down an enemy unit, you probably don't want your unit suddenly detouring to capture some unowned resource.)

Re: Weather

I haven't really thought too much about weather. I suppose there's also seasons that could affect fighting (like snowfall in Russia or Monsoons in the tropics).

And the impassible terrain is working now. (The checkerboard pattern is impassible.) This terrain is available in the map editor, but isn't being used by the random-map generator.

Impassible.png

Also, how about allowing roads to be placed over water? This would give a land bridge type thing so that ships and land units could pass over the same spot. Think of the Suez canal, the Bosphorous et al, in EoS currently you can either make it passible by land or water but not both.

Done. It took more work than I expected, but you can now build roads over water.

how about canyons? That would be a cool effect. Weather would be very useful, especially fog and heavy rain. Early units will not be able to move effectively in difficult weather. Airplanes are grounded etc. Even advanced units will probably be less effective.

This would be a novel capability for this type game. Probably not easy to implement, but would add spice to the game.

Another interesting terrain type would be dirt roads / trails. Reduced movement. Maybe add the ability for engineers to create these types of roads through jungles / marshes.

Bret