A few ruleset editor suggestions

hoolaman

These would be pretty low on the priority list (maybe for EoS II ;)), but I've got a few suggestions for the ruleset editor:

* Allow technology to change global values like default view distances. eg you research sonar and all naval units can see submarines at a +10% or +10 distance.

* Similarly, allow technology to give a movement range (or rate) increase to units based on their movement class. eg. Give "air movement" units a 20% increase in range.

To do this sort of thing currently I have to create a duplicate unit that is enabled by the tech with a larger spotting distance and a duplicate unit with a faster move distance. If To do three levels of bonuses for both, I need to create an array of 9 identical units.

* Allow a change to unit upgrade settings. Currently this is listed but cannot be changed unless I am missing something. If I want to give all existing units a free upgrade or upgrade to a unit that has the same production values I cannot do that at the moment, right?

* Expand the batch processing to give things like hitpoints and damage to hit values the batch treatment as well.

* Add a function for cities growing their population for every turn there is excess food.

These would be pretty low on the priority list (maybe for EoS II ;)), but I've got a few suggestions for the ruleset editor:

* Allow technology to change global values like default view distances. eg you research sonar and all naval units can see submarines at a +10% or +10 distance.

* Similarly, allow technology to give a movement range (or rate) increase to units based on their movement class. eg. Give "air movement" units a 20% increase in range.

To do this sort of thing currently I have to create a duplicate unit that is enabled by the tech with a larger spotting distance and a duplicate unit with a faster move distance. If To do three levels of bonuses for both, I need to create an array of 9 identical units.

Thanks for the feedback. I've messed around with some ideas for alternate technology models. I think it would be more interesting if players could do more to customize their range of technologies to deal with enemy threats. The ability to increase visual range or movement rate is certainly something that a military would choose specifically to research.

* Allow a change to unit upgrade settings. Currently this is listed but cannot be changed unless I am missing something. If I want to give all existing units a free upgrade or upgrade to a unit that has the same production values I cannot do that at the moment, right?

Yes, that is correct. The main reason I created a uniform update system was to give ruleset designers one less thing to worry about. Custom-setting the upgrade cost for 100+ units just gets a little tedious. Though, it's not really necessary for there to be a universal formula.

* Expand the batch processing to give things like hitpoints and damage to hit values the batch treatment as well.

Yeah, I was meaning to add some more attributes to the batch-processing system.

* Add a function for cities growing their population for every turn there is excess food.