CM:N... I need flares!

Yeah, flares. I need a lot of friggin' flares. I want night illumination flares. I want signal flares. I want German NCO's to fire purple flares when they see tanks. I want to sit back on a hill and see a friggin' tangled skein of purple flares trailing smoke up into the sky when the Allies attack the Germans. I want the illumination flares to cast moving shadows causing spooked troops to fire at ghosts. I want the shadows to change based on the height of the flare. I want the swaying of the flare under parachute to be simulated. I want the AI to react to the flares. If my German AI sees a fellow unit fire a purple flare, I want it to react correctly.

Without flares there is nothing.

The flare firing animation and flare reloading animations need to be correct. Yeah, that's right: bolt-action, smolt-action, just get the friggin' flare firing (fff) animation right. The first time!

Carry on.

Ken

c3k,

Well since you asked for not just a flare, I think they are in. Good job.

Oh wait no they arent in, just making attempt to placate you for when you ask for stuff that isnt in but we tell you it is so you will be dazzled by our massive efforts and forget what it is you asked for originally. Its the BFC way to be Activision.

Don't dazzle me with effort: pshaw! Dazzle me with...(wait for it)...FLARES!!! Yeah, eye-popping, LCD screen-breaking, jaw-dropping, 2 million candlepower, combat-rated FLARES!

Trip flares on the wire; flares from the airmen who've bailed out of shot down aircraft and are FLOATING on the WATER in their rafts; flares from the hatches of German narhvalewaffe-whatever-you-call-it; flares from sergeants; flares from forward observers; flares boobietrapping a trail; flares signalling tanks; flares for illumination; flares JUST FOR THE FUN OF BEING A FLARE!

I won't even mention the possible COMBAT USES OF A FLARE! C'mon, every time a flare is shown in a movie, what happens? Yeah, baby, the bad guy has to get shot with the thing! Model THAT BF.C! Flare-sniping; THAT'S a game!

Flares, flares, flares. Gimme flares...

;)

Ken

(Oh, Dietrich, thanks for the "schmolt"! I'll see what I can do...)

What strikes me is that in MP everyone is going to carefully examine the replay to see exactly where that flare came from. Want to find the enemy infatry in the woods? Peek a tank out for a few seconds and they'll all give away their exact positions...

But I have a feeling I may be taking c3k too seriously. It may have been wiser to just smile and nod and make an escape at the soonest opportunity...

Yeah, flares. I need a lot of friggin' flares. I want night illumination flares. I want signal flares. I want German NCO's to fire purple flares when they see tanks. I want to sit back on a hill and see a friggin' tangled skein of purple flares trailing smoke up into the sky when the Allies attack the Germans. I want the illumination flares to cast moving shadows causing spooked troops to fire at ghosts. I want the shadows to change based on the height of the flare. I want the swaying of the flare under parachute to be simulated. I want the AI to react to the flares. If my German AI sees a fellow unit fire a purple flare, I want it to react correctly.

I want Miss Paraguay. Failing that, I will accept Miss Portugal as a consolation prize.

Michael

I want Miss Paraguay. Failing that, I will accept Miss Portugal as a consolation prize.

Michael

He will get the download version of CM:SF with one user license as a consolation prize, and he damn well will like that too.

In regard to flares, all for it. This will increase development time by two months so that means we are looking at an early winter release, around February 2011.

What strikes me is that in MP everyone is going to carefully examine the replay to see exactly where that flare came from. Want to find the enemy infatry in the woods? Peek a tank out for a few seconds and they'll all give away their exact positions...

Simple then, make the use of flares determined by the player and not the TacAI. It would be easier to implement too. Just give a face command, then flare command(instead of pop smoke), several seconds later the area will be lit up green or red or whatever.

Keep it simple or like Chops said, it'll push the release date back another year. :D

Flares, flares, flares...

I want flares that can be fired into haystacks! Big inferno-causing flares! Flares that cause forest fires! Flares that burn down buildings! Flares! I want SOLAR flares! They'll disrupt radio comms at the WORST time!

;)

In a more serious note, although it is, perhaps, a flare too late for that, signal flares were an important part of German tactical doctrine. That would relegate them to a flavor object status, since the all-seeing player should already know what's happening. Would that make them "flavor flares"?

(Although, the old-timers will recognize this, early CMSF had no way to tell the player that units were taking casualties. The player had to watch each unit. The current version of CMSF incorporates a flashing icon to signal the player that a casualty has occurred. In the same vein, a CM:N unit firing a signal flare could signal the player that something's happened based on the color of the flare. So, flavor object AND gameplay value; win-win!)

Illumination flares would be nice for night fights, whether fired from artillery or a Very pistol. That would mean the night-time lighting coding would need work. Headlights? Gunflashes? It could be too much for BF.C right now.

But watching a red flare rise over the far woods at the beginning of the AI's attack would be a very nice immersion addition, leaving you wondering what was going to come your way...

Enjoy!

Ken

But watching a red flare rise over the far woods at the beginning of the AI's attack would be a very nice immersion addition, leaving you wondering what was going to come your way...

Enjoy!

Ken

Wouldn't it be obvious what was coming your way? I think everybody would know it was the......

FLAIR MONSTER!!!:eek::eek::eek:

picture-7.png

That giant sucking sound you hear is masses of CPU cycles being used to bathe the entire nighttime map in the eerie glow and lengthening shadows caused by 5 simultaneously flickering AND descending light sources from starshells / illum rounds. You thought smoke was bad?

I would have loved to see a "green monochrome" toggle for CMSF representing the battlefield as seen through NV equipment. But then I realized I'd rather have a Syrian truck instead.

But imagine if you could fire a FLARE at that truck's gas tank? And that truck was carrying, you guessed it, FLARES! The burning pyre would shoot FLARES out all battle long! Chain reaction FLARES!!

;)

Ken

(Points for the "Flare Witch Project" comment!)