AI being indecisive with transports

jeep

Anyone notice when viewing the game replays that the AI will often launch filled transports toward an island and then turn back before landing? Sometimes it will do the back and forth thing several times. Gives me a good chance to come sink them :confused:

Almost seems like the decision function for where they need to go changes a lot.

I don't know how easy it would be to fix of course, but it would be a good idea to tweak the AI so that it doesn't keep loaded transports on the water for long.

Of course, maybe they are just doing that back and forth dance to taunt me (here I am, come get me) :)

I have definitely seen times where if they would have landed these transports they would have won. That said, it probably is some calculation like that. I guess the reason it caught my attention is that they will sometimes turn back and forth like 2-3 times, sort of like the decision logic keeps changing every turn. Might be a simple fix to prevent that kind of thing.

Turning back if they need to is fine, just don't sit off the coast and waffle back and forth.

AI also tends to park loaded transports in the ocean sometimes like it does with warships. Also not a great idea....

Not trying to pick on the AI, which is already quite good. Just logging some things for future improvement.

This game has everything it needs to be a long term classic, so I'm thinking there will be time to fix stuff like this in the future.

Had the AI declared war on you when it was waffling? I've noticed that sometimes it looks like its going to make a sneak attack then reconsiders. I was thinking it evaluates your total strength before deciding to attack not just the local strength where the transports are heading.