Version 1.01.9883 Available

Brit

I created an update earlier, then had to take it down (after 2-3 minutes) because of a bug. Because of this, some people might get some validation errors when they try to update. Just wait and try again in a few hours.

All players who are in a PBEM game should update before continuing their game.

Update: A fix is available for the crash mentioned lower in the thread. You'll be updating to 1.01.9891 (demo version) or 1.01.9892 (full version).

15 Notable Changes/Fixes:

- Fixed bug: the game wasn't remembering player's username/password and 'remember me' wasn't working

- Fixed bug: new national borders appear briefly before the turn-replay happens (potentially giving away the results of combat, plus it was distracting)

- Fixed bug: ground units were sometimes leaving cities to attack enemy units

- Fixed crash: the game will crash if an AI-vs-AI game is setup with "random city locations"

- Units/Cities selected in the left panel turn red

- Added 'check for PBEM Updates' button to the reports window - this lets players in a PBEM game check for updates more frequently

- Fixed a crash in the AI

- Fixed a bug with city view range; some units weren't being spotted by cities

- Fixed a bug with research spending - switching to the technology tree window can inadvertently reduce the research spending

- Fixed a bug with containment events - sometimes units wouldn't show up during turn-replay, or sometimes units would appear to be in a city when it isn't

- Changed some things with the game-event system; gave-save files should be 1/3rd smaller (which means smaller files, faster saves)

- Changed the way enemy sightings are displayed - instead of the unit-name ("35th Infantry"), it shows the unit-type ("Infantry (Class 2)")

- Fixed a bug in the map editor / player discovered map code that would black-out sections of the map

- The game remembers the most recent playback speed, even when the application is restarted. (This is especially important when playing PBEM games.)

- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused ranged units to spin when attacking enemy units

Got the latest update (Version 1.01, build 9881 according to the About dialog box) and now, unhappily, it won't play but just a few dozen turns before Windows kills it ("Empires Of Steel Executable has encountered a problem and needs to close.")

Anyone else having the same problem?

Specs:

Demo Version 1.01, Build 9881

Windows XP, SP3

2MB Memory

Got the latest update (Version 1.01, build 9881 according to the About dialog box) and now, unhappily, it won't play but just a few dozen turns before Windows kills it ("Empires Of Steel Executable has encountered a problem and needs to close.")

Anyone else having the same problem?

That's too bad. I have two other people who contacted me via the bug-report system to say that they had problems with crashes - although it was generally later in the game. I'll see if I can track this down and get a fix out soon.

Hi Brit -

No worries, and we all appreciate your help. I just wasn't sure if it was a problem on my end - or if other folks were having issues with the release also - so thought I'd kick a message here.

For what it's worth, it started getting cranky with me at in/around turn 80 - and I could milk it (let it crash, restart, reload from auto-save) up until about turn 121 - but it's crashed three times on the same turn now, so I think I've hit a wall.

I think it knows I'm winning. ;)

Give me a shout if you need any other specifics, and I'll bounce them either here, or via the internal bug send.

Again, thanks for the help!

Hi Brit -

No worries, and we all appreciate your help. I just wasn't sure if it was a problem on my end - or if other folks were having issues with the release also - so thought I'd kick a message here.

For what it's worth, it started getting cranky with me at in/around turn 80 - and I could milk it (let it crash, restart, reload from auto-save) up until about turn 121 - but it's crashed three times on the same turn now, so I think I've hit a wall.

I think it knows I'm winning. ;)

Give me a shout if you need any other specifics, and I'll bounce them either here, or via the internal bug send.

Again, thanks for the help!

An update is now available that fixes the crash. Let me know if you have any other problems with crashes (just in case there were two crashes and I only tracked down and fixed one of them).