Ipad version?

jeep

Porting EOS to Ipad / Iphone could be a good way to increase your audience. It would need to be simplified somewhat for the smaller screens / processing power, but that could also be a benefit. People who like it on the iphone may also purchase the full version for the PC.

Of course, it would only make sense to do if the development tools allow you to port it without a total redesign.

Porting EOS to Ipad / Iphone could be a good way to increase your audience. It would need to be simplified somewhat for the smaller screens / processing power, but that could also be a benefit. People who like it on the iphone may also purchase the full version for the PC.

Of course, it would only make sense to do if the development tools allow you to port it without a total redesign.

Funny, I was just talking about this last night with someone. I'm not sure what kind of work would need to be done to port it to an iPad platform, but I'm sure some of the display code would require some heavy rewrite. I'm also not sure about the interface - since there would be no left-click / right-click functionality. (I don't have much experience even using the iPad.)

You could use the multi touch for interface.

Touch the unit to select, then use finger 2 to plot your first waypoint. Hold finger 2 and touch finger 3 for next waypoint, etc. When you release last finger orders are ploted.

You could always play with one in the apple store for a bit to see if you think it would work.

As an iPad/iPhone owner/developer, it'd be fairly easy to get the touch screen to do what you want. There are a lot of options. For instance, you can do a touch as left-click and touch-and-hold as right-click.

Ultimately, though, you'd want to not just port the game straight over but make it fit the Apple HID as much as possible. One thing that Mac people don't care for, especially in iOS, is for an app to not seem native and this means games, too. You'd want to take as much advantage of the iOS UX as possible so that what you end up is not merely EoS running in iOS but EoS *FOR* iOS. A good example of this is the iOS version of Civilization: Revolution.

If the bulk of the non-UI game code is written in C/C++, then you should hopefully not have too much trouble converting. Best thing to do would be to search for Carmack's Wolfenstein 3D source code and look at that. It's mainly C with some Objective-C (which you'll need if you want to access the iOS SDK at all).

I won't kid you: it'd probably be a lot of work but you'd probably make quite a bit of money off of it. Even rubbish apps tend to make a surprising amount of cash. And with iOS 4 coming up, and Apple's shift from desktop/laptops to mobile-only, it's kind of crazy NOT to develop for it.

Development tools are only one part of the problem. And to be honest, probably the smaller part, too. The bigger problems arise around issues such as marketing games for these types of platforms as well as giving up control to Apple (Microsoft and Sony for consoles); and with "control" I mean essentially giving your soul, kids and house to them :)

Still, EOS would be a great game for the mobile platform, no doubt. We'll be supporting Brit in any efforts he's willing to undertake here.

Marketing on Iphone/ipad is easy. Simple get everyone on this board and all your friends to write good reviews and rate 5 stars, then it will pop up to the top of the most popular lists in the apple store.

I don't know if apple has some funky requirement limiting cross platform releases. But given that Civilization Revolutions is cross PC/Iphone, I'm guessing not. Have to read the fine print though :)