RAMADI (Iraq): Mother of All MOUT Maps

Yes, it appears that quite a few non local scumbags have been trickling in down there. Good news is, they seem to be throwing their useless lives away in a futile Tet offensive / pogrom in Marawi, reinforcing to their fellow Muslims that they are bad news.

Muslims are only 5% of the population here, and in this case are not outbreeding the Catholics. But in the meantime, there is no question they will strike in Manila. So I am mindful of where I linger these days.

More broadly, I note a near total absence of reaction on my (mainly North American) FB feed to the latest outrages in the UK. Compassion fatigue, plus simply numbed by nonstop antiTrumping, I suppose.

I suppose once the basement jihadis graduate to anthrax and poison gas (ISIS already using it) and body counts go into hundreds then maybe we will see some actual reaction again. It's only a matter of time.

Eventually the West will see revival of sedition laws that allow (non-Hellfire) preemptive removal of agitators and organizers who create the actual terrorists. The mainstream Islamic world already does this (not always effectively, of course).

Nonmilitant fundamentalists will suffer too, but will also need to learn to beware the company they keep. That is how things used to be in the pre-snowflake era.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

55 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Nonmilitant fundamentalists will suffer too, but will also need to learn to beware the company they keep. That is how things used to be in the pre-snowflake era.

the pre snowflake era. heh yeah all this is the fault of liberals. sheesh I took you as one that was better educated than that.  I suppose climate change is also not real?

Not 'caused' of course, but paralysis and hand wringing because better a thousand terrorists go free than one fulminating blind sheik feel marginalized, or don't be beastly to the Wahabis it just creates more child killing nail bombers, are indulgences the West can't afford. And poorer societies can afford even less.

This is all as clear as day to me, old friend, and I think you know better than to call me uneducated. I think we will never convince each other, so maybe best to move along.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

2 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Not 'caused' of course, but paralysis and hand wringing because better a thousand terrorists go free than one fulminating blind sheik feel marginalized, or don't be beastly to the Wahabis it just creates more child killing nail bombers, are indulgences the West can't afford. And poorer societies can afford even less.

This is all as clear as day to me, old friend, and I think you know better than to call me uneducated. I think we will never convince each other, so maybe best to move along.

Understood, but last person I knew of in Saudi Arabia not mentioning wahabism was Trump, but yeah let's drop it before this thread gets closed over stuff like this that just goes round and round.

The Indonesian Defense minister just created a stir by claiming there are 1200 foreign jihadists in the Philippines. I find this non-credible, as local host groups would find that number extremely hard to provision. Also, by now a force of this size would certainly have declared an emirate in a sanctuary area, killing or driving out locals who didn't go along with the plan. There is no sign of any of this having occurred.

It could be he is lumping in the "sympathizers" who provide support but who may not be "operational".   However, I suspect that number could be huge. 

Re the UK attacks, it's finally being discussed openly that while there are a relatively few dedicated suicide/martyr warriors, there is a much larger segment of the Muslim population which is quietly applauding and not doing anything to stop radicalization or the violence - while still staying within the law. 

The sad fact is that things still haven't gotten bad enough for societies to take the sort of steps needed to protect themselves when "at war". 

Sure, we can just wait till things get that bad and someone gets a nuke or (more likely) a biochem item (or even more likely - figures out how to shut down the food supply or contaminate drinking water).  That was my point.  The successful history of appeasement 'n all that good stuff...

Edited by Erwin

The history of the 'War on Terror' is no better, there are countless more terrorists today than there were in 2001.

Probably best for us to stick to Ramadi in here though fella, if only out of respect for LLF's work on it.....I've been messing with another chunk of the map quite recently, but not for Mosul this time.  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, Erwin said:

It could be he is lumping in the "sympathizers" who provide support but who may not be "operational".   However, I suspect that number could be huge. 

Re the UK attacks, it's finally being discussed openly that while there are a relatively few dedicated suicide/martyr warriors, there is a much larger segment of the Muslim population which is quietly applauding and not doing anything to stop radicalization or the violence - while still staying within the law. \

How exactly do you know there is this "large segment" quietly applauding?

It's total bollocks TBH.....The UK Muslim population is probably more integrated than virtually anywhere else in the western world. 

The big problem IMHO comes from our wonderful allies in the gulf exporting their singularly ghastly interpretation of Islam to our generally peaceful and quite well integrated Muslim community.  Further harm is naturally caused by the outright lies and general hypocrisy that passes for mainstream news in the UK.  :mellow:

PS - I've recently initiated a bit of a row with the BBC over their coverage of just this subject.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

56 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It's total bollocks TBH.....The UK Muslim population is probably more integrated than virtually anywhere else in the western world. 

The big problem IMHO comes from our wonderful allies in the gulf exporting their singularly ghastly interpretation of Islam to our generally peaceful and quite well integrated Muslim community.  Further harm is naturally caused by the outright lies and general hypocrisy that passes for mainstream news in the UK.  :mellow:

PS - I've recently initiated a bit of a row with the BBC over their coverage of just this subject.  ;)

I think there is validity to the sense that cooperation with the police is not as high as folks would want.  That is a far more complicated question though than simply saying there is a large group silently applauding.   The problems the police face are more an issue of poverty and isolation of immigrant communities.  As an example, according to the LA times thanks in part to the escalation of deportation spurred by the Trump administration, crime reporting within the Latino community is down.  Sexual assault reports in LA for example have dropped 25%.  It is a contested claim, but it is not a stretch to think that calling the police is going to be seen as an increasingly risky move in a community that feels under threat.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-immigrant-crime-reporting-drops-20170321-story.html

If we had a militant movement in the US based in the Mexican community, in the current climate how much cooperation would one expect from that community? Hell if people aren't going to report they have been sexually assaulted, they certainly aren't going to call the authorities for something that would draw far more attention.

Funnily enough I had a look at a few stats on this, in the UK about 1 in 3 Muslims would report a 'close family member' if they felt they were being radicalised.....That's actually a pretty good ratio when you think about it.

Pushing people into corners is never going to help and wilfully misidentifying (not to mention arming to the teeth) the primary source of radicalisation is obviously utterly self-defeating, but there you are.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

12 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Funnily enough I had a look at a few stats on this, in the UK about 1 in 3 Muslims would report a 'close family member' if they felt they were being radicalised.....That's actually a pretty good ratio when you think about it.

Pushing people into corners is never going to help and wilfully misidentifying (not to mention arming to the teeth) the primary source of radicalisation is obviously utterly self-defeating, but there you are.  :rolleyes:

yeah probably time to move on before this derails too far. 

39 minutes ago, Erwin said:

You might want to start reading more reputable newspapers.  I suspect your view of things is getting skewed by reading tabloid crap.  Stop picking up papers in the checkout aisle is always good advice unless you really enjoy reading about Sigourney Weaver having a space alien baby - or in the case of the daily express still another sensationalist article about Princess Di - so much so they have been called "the Daily Ex-Princess".