AAR Nupremal World AI test

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nupremal, I guess you are right. Harder settings may explain some abnomalies like my subwarfare failures and unbalanced mpp income. Given the abstractions of SC2, You did a good job with the evaluation of all the major country capacities. Against common opinions, war economy is , in fact, the main and toughest variable to set in a grand strategy wargame where raw material, industry and manpower cannot be simply added on statistical basis. Know-how and generally speaking, educated population with efficient administration and political stability are few of several prerequisites for true mass production. This mod ( with few tweaks down the road) is a convincing start for what may become the most serious attempt to get a credible and exciting WW2 global fight. I know the word START might look out of place after the gigantic work done to offer this beta version. Well, as we all know, it has to be played extensively before we can drink champaign with Nupremal and celebrate so, let's go wargamers , raise your hand and join us now. I can start a pbem game as soon as 1.03 is ready but unfortunatly I have no more than 1 or 2 evenings a week to devote on gaming. So my opponent will have to be patient and keep in mind that we wiil be mainly testing the mod, not looking for competition ( no reason to be dumb though!). Anyone interested, please leave a message in this thread and we'll set a starting date!

Have a good night!

masterclaude

Nupremal, Do you plan on moving forward with a new detailed AAR vs. Allied AI for the 1.03 campaign? I am anxious to see how it plays out against a veteran player.

I would also be interested in playing this mod vs. a human player and was wondering if there has been any feedback on the player vs. player front?

Hi nupremal. I am glad you agree for a game and even flattered to test it with you. Don't expect miracles on my end for 2 reasons.

First, I got a heavy busy schedule all upside down as a security guard. So I worked almost every day mostly on assigments OUT of town! So I must leave my appartment for many days in row and can be back usually on weekends. I don't have a laptop so no turn can be done while I am away.

The other reason: I am sort of a crazy general going for low odds attempts thus loosing badly many times. Not the best partner for testing but I will try to play by the book with you.

Here is the situation for the next 24 hours. I have now 4 hours in front of me ( 9.30 am US Eastern GMT) then I go to work. At night around 1.00 -3.00 am, got a 2 hours for gaming and the next morning from 9.00 AM-12.00 AM another 3 hours. After that I'm gone until Friday. If you want to postpone the starting turns to next week-end, no problem otherwise we can start now with sept-oct 39 turns. I just downloaded 1.03 and no tech problem either. I don't mind which side. Never played against the Axis though so might be interesting unless you prefer I play the Bad guys for whatever reasons but my feeling is, since the Axis player has the burden of offensive in the first 2-3 years, the most experienced player should take it and it's not me! You designed that mod after all! That said, your testing priority matters most. I'm just an assistant in this respect.

Send messages and turns before noon, Monday 21st at:

desmarais_claude@videotron.ca

Thanks and have a nice day!

Was waiting for the repo to open... Then I checked back and boom boom pow I'm playing Global Conflict the way it was meant to be. Axis focus in this beta test was on the kreigsmarine.

Poland fell in two rounds without a single tank firing a shot. Three tank groups walk through Netherlands and Belgium rather quickly. French offensive stalls at Lille stubbornly as the Germans are forced to mop up heavy french Army Group resistance. Germany accepts the Kreigsmarine plan and invests heavily in support of the plan with an additional two sub flotillas and the Europa Carrier early on.

Russia Activates in late 1940 even before the creation of Vichy France. Italy activates as German offensive in France as breakthrough is imminent. Italy invests early in things like Industrial Technology, Intelligence, Production Technology, Infantry Weapons, Anti-Tank Weapons and Artillery and sits well hammering away at British Armor in Egypt that finally falls in October of 1941. Italy massed an all out assault on Yugoslavia and walked through to Greece sitting on Athens doorstep. Palastine and the control or denial of the Suez was a decisive Italian victory costing one Corp. British bulked leftovers from the battle of the Atlantic comprising 3 destroyers, and 4 cruisers. Italian Sub guards the Suez and absorbs shock attacks from well equipped Commonwealth armies. Closing the Suez from the South the scattered Italians are closing on Anglo-Egypt Sudan but face 3 corps making landing the HQ and upgrading necessary. Two other Italian Subs bait the destroyers raiding non stop just west of Malta while every ship in the Italian navy remains in active duty with some requiring extensive repair. Notably newly commissioned battleship Vittorio Venitto raiding a convoy line destroys the Greece Destroyer without loosing a single man and can become a level 13 super battleship.

The state of the Kreigsmarine by October 1941 realized by the underlying philosophy of helping the Kreigsmarine at all costs throughout the battle of France has resulted in the construction of the Atlantic wall as far south as Lille and at one time was home to the 4 level 1 artillery pieces positioned from the Keil Canal along the wall to Amsterdam.

Tripitz was ceremoniously launched to much fanfare beside 12 Bismark and 12 Scharnhost and a corp and an HQ boarded landing craft for the long trip up the east coast of England to unprotected Aberdeen and Inverness. Next round three more core transport and North England is German Occupied. With surplus cash saved Germany was able to build the Europa Aircraft Carrier and it launched from the West coast of France and did sea trials that ended in the destruction of the last British Carrier after it engaged the fatal paratroop drop on Portsmouth instead of Plymouth. Europa now sits in Aberdeen conducting naval tactical air support missions to sever the convoy routes to Glasgow with a level 2 tank, Engineer Corp and two other corp trading out while the artillery hampers any British counter attack. The super battleships now conduct devastating bombardment and happily reimburse the Luftwaffe and the ground forces for their earlier sacrifices between refits to level 13. One can only hope that another carrier is commissioned at the end of the naval plan... Graf Spree arrives at a beleaguered port off the coast of France and undergoes extensive refits after unsuccessfully raiding and defending with her accompanying U-30 companion lost to the deeps off the shores of Halifax. Failing to find any plunder in Fort du France it was a long trip back for the Graf Spree across the Atlantic. The U-Boats have free reign over the Atlantic but occasionally have to destroy more of the 50 destroyers... Raiding for the most part didn't involve sitting on convoy lanes but focused more on eliminating the Royal Navy along the Keil Canal with the help of air and artillery.

The Japanese pulled everything save garrison units out of Manchuria and raced down the coastline in a few turns taking out all Chinese ports save for Nanking where two battle groups and the extensive Japanese Air Force all combined at the abandoned US Air Force base poised to break through to the Chinese Capital while elements of the quick silk road corps drive past elements of the Chinese army guarding the main city to the silk road capturing sinning but two corps remain behind to assist the out of supply main battle group that is pinched behind the desert waste of Nanking. The imperial Japanese navy tested its blue water capability by going on a tour of duty south and contemplated interdicting Commonwealth convoy lines but turned back north again to strike at Pearl Harbor at or around the historical date but only with it's extensive 4 squadron strong level 4 subs and perhaps a carrier. China for the most part will have to fall soon as I have HQ units right behind corps supported by the best HQ the Japanese can buy running the air force. Other army groups and corp units are steadily being replaced and cities garrisoned against the unrelenting onslaught of Chinese partisans. Soon Japan will have a functioning level 1 tank group to help mopping up on it's way to the capital.

On the Eastern front Manstein played ring around the rosy with his newly arrived army groups at Warsaw and together with the now deceased Bock fast strike corp offensive pressured the Soviets into moving back their Air Force a number of times but already the German offensive is facing huge loses to the long range aircraft of the Russians including a bomber!

Bock was able to quickly encircle Riga with corp and succeeding in taking an unoccupied Russian Town close to Riga but elements broke off and chased the Russian bear bomber and perished. Manstein crushed Brest and now has Lvov in his grasp and is currently refitting 5 tank armies to level two for the push to relieve avenge the loss of Bock but could use more well equipped corp units and another artillery piece to bring the total to 4 artillery and two unequipped corps and one fully equipped corp. I will hold Konisberg though but it will be a war of attrition. Russians are fielding over 60 units that I can count. Late October 1941...

Game is playing very good although AI Fleet moves seem to take forever but hey quality takes time and so far this game is a quality experience save for the Russians activating out of the blue for no reason except for what I believe was foolishly keeping garrison in Warsaw and Konisburg.

Okay game just crashed :( I hope the auto save is not messed up as I don't think I saved at all only restarted on occasion. Okay well it is progressing on the Allied turn. Hope it works. Although I doubt I can slow the Russians as I've yet to take a major city in Russia and its almost 1942.

Nupremal,

I am playing your map. Thank you for the great work.

But i ran into something which seems like an error.

France fell, and I chose to allow Vichy to be instituted. Well the computer then stated Germany annexes the port or Arachon in France. Then when I started my next turn it showed a British Destroyer in that port. But I cannot attack it with ground or air power to push it out?

Is there something I am missing?

Thank you

Nupremal,

I have to bother you again. A Japanese Submarine (2nd Squadron) only moves 10 spaces compared to 18 for all the others. They are all at full health, morale, and have the same upgrade. It seems to be normal in all other respects.

Thanks

This mod is hard. Tried it on difficult with no experience for the computer and soundly was obviously defeated early with no hope for Germany to break into Russia.

Started over on Easy with no computer experience to get a feel for the mod. China well this time I'll do it right. Capture the major roads in the middle and control the entrance to the Silk Road.

Germany hope for tech ups for tanks and infantry and pound the Russians early. On that note it says the Russians prepare for war in a pop-up but they don't actually declare. Good warning though to start reinforcing the Eastern Front. Still waiting for some long range aircraft and some movement modifiers but otherwise looking good.

The map actually is a challenge and I find not too much wrong with the Allied AI so far as I have made it into the game. A very impressive mod so far. I'll mention it though - it takes a long time for the AI to respond - but hey quality takes time. If it could be coded in a different language or optimized more without forsaking the quality then that would be a bonus.

Why are there arrows everywhere in the Oceans? Why do some work and others not work? I know probably for convenience sake as it is quite monotonous to have to move an entire fleet across the Pacific but then so you have arrived. The Jonston arrows wouldn't work same as the Honolulu arrows closer to Japan. Truk worked fine. Haven't had time to test the others.

Why can't we have an entire row of arrows at the edge of the Map just like you had in your last mod Nupremal?

1 - The Arcachon issue happens when it is annexed but an allied ship is there. I suppose it is a bug but it is pretty minor so I never worried much about it. use some tac bombers/fighters on the ship and chase it off. Strats may not work because you cant attack your own port.

2 - Russians will activate but not DOW under Global unless they do an offensive, which I have set to happen but not right away.

3 - I suggest using moderate difficulty +50% and +.5 xp

4 - Do you see the names on the map? They require you control the following:

A - Map edges = the listed Island/Town

B - Non-Map edges need BOTH cities under friendly control. Johnston wont work for Japan unless they own Johnston.

The reason for this was to simulate the value of ports and islands in control of the sea.

So as the IJN what is the best way to get to the other side of the Pacific Ocean?

I like the touch with Narvik. I captured Norway but the one Cruiser stayed on the port occupying it and next turn no less there was a transport dropping of a British Corp unit to deny the Iron/Ore shipments.

Same with Algeria. Italians landed close to 10 units there and soundly defeated the Algerians but lo and behold there was the Jean Bart Algerian Battleship stowed away in Casablanca that required chasing off.

Was offered to attack Pearl Harbor and for 250 MPP couldn't refuse. Same for my delinquent U-Boat fleet preoccupied with destroying the Russians Baltic fleet which is quite extensive I might add: 1 Battleship 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers and 2 subs. When offered 100 MPP to bring the USA into the war just to say I attacked convoy lines was a welcome gesture of realism.

I find the game is comprehensive and well thought out historically. The historical images are great to view. I do contend with the starting Navies being that your calling Scharnhorst a battleship but your not calling Gneisenau her Sister Ship a battleship. If we are going there for that matter why are not the Graf Spree and the Lutzow considered battleships? Which derives the question... Can there become another category of Naval Shipbuilding to represent the various reflections in shipbuilding? Also, because I believe you have succeeded in modeling such a great map with expansive Oceans would it be possible to launch the game with true historical Navy Strengths? I see what we have now is very close.

The text for Republic of China is quite annoying.

The IJN can get to the other side of the Pacific using:

Eniketek, Kwajalein, or Majuro, all of which they control, at the start of the war.

Later, anything you capture can let you go further, like taking Midway, Tarawa, Guadalcanal and more, and now you can use those loops!

Why is the Republic of China lettering annoying?

Gneisenau is a Battleship under builds, so I don't understand that point. I don't consider the others (Pocket Battleships etc) strong enough to be considered Battleships. Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were both very powerful ships. Look at my Navy sheet under documents for how I classified the navies. That is why I added the Z-Plan Option

Nupremal thanks for the heads up on the loops. I'm just now starting to move the Japanese Fleet so good timing on that.

Where is the sheet your referring to regarding naval classification?

Also I find... with the Allied AI the soviets must have some great Icebreakers as they can move through ice.

Also I launched Sealion after having fended off numerous landings by the British. The British didn't know when to quit and completely more or less emptied the Island as if evacuating as I dropped 6 corps 1 army 2 anti-aircraft batteries and the entire German Wehrmacht through two different ports. Not that I'm complaining at the evacuation of England or anything as they have been severely hampering the Italian expansion efforts in Egypt.

Well the lettering is blue and large and when you have a lot of units stationed there it becomes difficult to see what units need upgrades.

I agree with Nupremal...Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were considered modernized battlecruisers; therefore, most battlecruisers were considered fast battleships. Accordingly, Graf Spree, Lutzow, etc were considered heavy cruisers, Emden and such fell into the classifications of cruisers to light cruisers.

Odd -in my games UK has too many units in the UK proper. Did you invade first and is russia at war? When is this? UK is hard because if they keep too much on island, the ME goes, or else the island can go.

What landings were the British doing?

There is a folder in the campaign called /documentation - it has excel spreadsheets

June of 1942 UK manages to land a tank group into Germany proper up by the canal and also manages to land a corp unit amidst my Luftwaffe blockade waging the battle of Britain by Lille.

I had no intentions of invading before the British had expended most of their surface fleet. I just kept blowing up their amphibious transports and they kept sending them. So much so that the result was easy pickings for my stationed garrisons to launch their own amphibious landing on UK soil through two ports. After which they still disembarked a couple more units to die off at sea quickly destroyed by multiple carrier strikes from Europa and Graf Zeppelin.

In May of 1942 I have an expanding spearhead in Moscow and poised to breakthrough heavy resistance to the USSR secondary capital.

What is the ME? I'll look at the spreadsheet to see what other goodies I can expect.

Ok this is a result of scripts vs Humans. Plus, if you are playing on easy, I would expect you to win. The idea was that if they can get a beachhead while you are engaged in Russia and expand it, it should hurt you. Unfortunately I cannot make scripts that take into account all contingencies. I may change this so it only happens when USA is in war.

You should be able to attack Vichy by declaring war on it. Otherwise they are neutral.

ME = Middle East

Nukes come in at the very end of the game yes, but if certain conditions are not met they may not happen, and you may have already won by then anyway.