Crashing!!!!

GRRRR!

Since I loaded patch 1 my computer has been crashing. It only happens when I'm playing SC-GC. No other program on my does this. What happens is that while I'm playing the game a "blue screen" pops up in DOS script telling me something very quickly about my windows failing. Normally, If I go back and delete a save turn the game plays fine. However, yesterday it happened several times afte about 2 hours into playing. All that time lost and gone. I am completely PO'ed! I like to keep my self control but last night I was screaming and whining at my computer. I can't figure this out but if this game is ruining my computer than I'll have to chuck the game.

Geofighter.

geofighter - Which version of Windows are you running and which video card do you have installed ?

Before applying the patch did you play SC Global without problems ?

I'm not sure if these BSOD's ('Blue Screen of Death') are logged in the Event Viewer or not. Go to the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. In here the 'Application' or 'System' groups may list the error that you're running into. You will probably have to scroll through the list to find the error/message that is applicable to the crash (again, if it is even logged).

Hi Schrullenhaft,

I have a brand new (less than a year old) Toshiba laptop computer. It is windows 7. I cannot tell you my video card as I don't have it with me but I'll get that for you tonight. I do know that when it restarts after a crash I get a window that says "You had an unexpected shut down." It then gives me the option for the computer to search for a solution. This doesn't work but it does give me some code for a problem. It starts witht the letters BC0000... or something like that.

Question. I know in the scripts it allows me to adjust my resolution. I have never messed with it. But how do I know what it should be at?

In the 'Settings' panel you will want to select a resolution that is your laptop display's native resolution. With most current laptops this will probably be a widescreen resolution. I believe that these are supported by the Strategic Command series, but I'm not absolutely sure.

You will also want to select 'Video Acceleration', which is one of the button selections below the resolution listing. It will be active when there is a 'blue button' next to the listing.

I'm not sure what API Strategic Command uses to draw to the screen. It may be just 'GDI' or it may be 'DirectDraw (DirectX)', but I'm not sure.

If it is DirectDraw/DirectX, then possibly updating your DirectX install with the DirectX Web updater might help. A more likely culprit could be your video driver, which you might only be able to get from Toshiba.

Also, when you launch the game, do you right-click and select "Run as administrator" from the popup menu ? This might help in some situations (usually a problem with saves or some other problem running a game initially), but it may not be an actual solution for the problem that you're running into.

geofighter,

Another thing to try is going to Microsoft Updates and seeing if MS has a newer driver for your laptop. I don't have Windows 7 so I can't tell you exact instructions on how to do this.

Good choice on Toshiba for a brand though, they are in the top 3 for the least amount of hardware failures in the first 3 years of ownership.

Perhaps the patch was corrupted in the download, I would suggest redownloading it and maybe even from a different location. A fresh installation might also do the trick for you, i.e. a clean uninstall followed by a full reinstallation.

Hope this helps,

Hubert