Maori humour & Afrika Korps

I have been fortunate to borrow from my local library a memoir called:

"Chasing the Beast" By George Greenfield.

Very well written with some great anecdotes:

At Alemein his platoon of the Buffs was adjacent to the NZ division. There Maori battlaion had an aggressive streak and when bored would get some volunteers and slip through the wire to find sleeping Germans. Their preference was a group of five and just slit the throats of four of them .... they thought it was funny when the fifth one awoke. And of course it would do wonders for enemy morale.

He is very scathing of General Horrocks and some others and I am only on page 62.: ) " Monty - the vainest man I ever met, and in along, and chequered career I met many self-lovers ....."

Freyberg comes out well. Another NZer Major Sandy Thomas had fought in Greece and then Crete. When Crete was overrun he had taken to the hills and later got down to the coast stolen a boat and sailed to Greece [no navigator!] He was hidden in a monastery until his wounds were healed and then worked his way across through Greece, Turkey and then into the northern Lebanon. The first man he met was a sentry from his company of from the New Zealand Division.

Despite it being ten months later the sentry recognised him:

"G'day, sir" he said, slapping the butt of his rifle in salute. " Took your time, didn't you"

• 2 weeks later...