Syrian defense camping in the Peng Challenge Thread

...your grey little lives may darken further without the shining light that is my presence...I expect several of you may not be able to cope and will commit suicide during my absence.

Cf. 'inflated ego'.

Anyone depending on Stuka to light up their lives is better off dead.

Michael

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blech! Double blech!

Michael

Exactly ... just because he has a bad hair day doesn't mean we have to have a bad day all around just because of it.

And they complained about my Mormon Wives ... compared to those photos the wives were classic portraiture. Here, as a public service ...

1182185148_6759.jpg

Think of it as a palate cleanser ... granted it's like cleansing the palate with battery acid but still ...

Joe

Three. count 'em, three weeks of gout/achilles tendonitis (basically brought on by the gout), have gone by, in the early Paddling Season. Three weeks of doubt, concern, ibuprofen (there was a time, that was, when I had to check the expiration date on a small canister of ibuprofen; now I buy it by the tub and never worry if I'm going to use it up before I die), and I can walk with only a limp.

And I paddled. Today, I was like unto a god. A short, fat, annoying god of doubtful provenance, but more godlike than most of you lot of butcher's offal will ever be on a good weekday with a following wind.

Did the Vermillion River flats for 4+ hours, almost 9 miles. Glorious weather.

Oh, what's that you say, Justicar? You spent the same period pondering whether your next PowerPoint presentation would have the proper 'zing'? Oh, good meister Stuka, what did you do? Stand in front of a mirror and worry that you're getting as fat as a gnome? What's that, oh Boo? Did you drag yourself over the island on your knuckles, wondering if Prospero would be amazed by the fact that you'd learned to wonder whether hate and love were just two faces of the same coin?

Well, you sorry shower, I PADDLED.

Very nice day. Wish you could have been there. Herons, hawks, two bald eagles, and a snake swam across the river right in front of me, and I hadn't seen that before. Pretty sure it was a Fox Snake. Which was a good sign. Because, if you don't know it, the fox is my symbol.

Damn good day.

Occasionally, I wonder about things, and so I check into them. And do you know what?

Emrys is a fecking Welsh name. The base root has to do with 'immortal', which seems appropriate.

Goddamn Emrys. Welsh.

Oh, and Joe Shaw? Michael is not simply allowed to start up a new Thread, he is welcome to start up a new Thread.

What the hell do you think they sang at Rourke's Drift? Some dutch tune? 'Ya, ya, mi liebe willchen tulips stucken up miene?' Fecking Dutch.

No, Justicar, they sang 'Men of Harlech'. Fecking Welsh.

But it'll be a cold day in hell before I allow the Dutch to start up the new Peng Challenge Thread, as opposed to an aging madman Welsh weirdo who's probably in adult diapers every time he posts, crazy as a goddamn corgi on methamphetamine.

Hey! Apparently the 'filtering' software doesn't object to 'goddamn it'. You know, 'God Damn It', at certain points in history, was considered to be a fairly serious bit of blasphemy.

So, let's see...

Goddamn the King, Goddamn the Queen

Goddamn everyone in between

Goddamn you when the King was behind you

Goddamn the fact that the Queen didn't mind you

Goddamn the fact they caught you going and coming

Goddamn the fact that you did it all knowing

Goddamn the people who parse sh*t and sh*te

Goddamn them for trying make it all right

Goddamn all software that takes away choice

Goddamn the asterisks in place of my voice

Goddamn those too lazy to bring down the hammer

On those too goddamned to do more than yammer

Goddamn us all, each and every one

Who've had stupid software stand in for our Mums

Goddamn you, and goddamn me

Goddamn the fact that asterisks are what we see

And of all those goddamns, Goddamn me

For the goddamn desire to speak free

God damn it. I feel slightly better about things.

It'll pass of course. On the other hand, I'll continue to be an Old One of the Peng Challenge Thread. Which gives me a wonderful vantage point on the vagaries of humanity.

Have I ever told you about my Small Friends?

Three. count 'em, three weeks of gout/achilles tendonitis (basically brought on by the gout), have gone by, in the early Paddling Season. Three weeks of doubt, concern, ibuprofen (there was a time, that was, when I had to check the expiration date on a small canister of ibuprofen; now I buy it by the tub and never worry if I'm going to use it up before I die), and I can walk with only a limp.

It must be the season for it. Since shortly after the beginning of the year, I've had increasing pain in my left hip and thigh. My doctor thought it might be bursitis and gave me a steroid shot for it, but it keeps getting worse. His alternative diagnosis is arthritis, but that will require more tests (of course) to confirm. Meanwhile, it gets worse and I can barely get around at all. Maybe he will finally hit on the right thing and I'll return to something resembling good health, but at the moment I am not optimistic. I have reached that age where nothing ever seems to get better. It just gets worse and the only question is how bad and how fast.

Very nice day. Wish you could have been there.

Yeah, me too. Of all things I miss (aside from getting laid on a regular basis), the one I miss the most is the wilderness. I used to go camping by myself with only what I could carry on my back.

Michael

Goddamn the King, Goddamn the Queen

Goddamn everyone in between

Goddamn you when the King was behind you

Goddamn the fact that the Queen didn't mind you

Goddamn the fact they caught you going and coming

Goddamn the fact that you did it all knowing

Goddamn the people who parse sh*t and sh*te

Goddamn them for trying make it all right

Goddamn all software that takes away choice

Goddamn the asterisks in place of my voice

Goddamn those too lazy to bring down the hammer

On those too goddamned to do more than yammer

Goddamn us all, each and every one

Who've had stupid software stand in for our Mums

Goddamn you, and goddamn me

Goddamn the fact that asterisks are what we see

And of all those goddamns, Goddamn me

For the goddamn desire to speak free

Some of the best verse you've contrived in ages.

Michael

I used to go camping by myself with only what I could carry on my back.
Really? By yourself was it ... huh ... imagine our shock and surprise at that.

Seanachai you can't just go making up rules out of the whole cloth by yourself you know. You're but one of three Olde Ones and that does not a majority make. So if you want to allow Michael the right to start an incarnation of the Peng Challenge Thread you'll have to assemble the three of you (best of luck on that) and put it to a vote.

Of course I, as the keeper of the Sacred Traditions of the Peng Challenge Thread, am REQUIRED to ... uh ... interpret the rules from time to time but that's a completely different thing.

I serve, in all things, as the manifestation of the will of the Olde Ones ... but that's plural, not singular and if you can ever manage to get Berli free from playing games on Facebook or Peng sober enough to pass a ruling on the subject I'll be more than happy to acknowledge the will of the Olde Ones and graciously acknowledge that Michael can start such an incarnation.

Until then he can't ... barring this one of course which I can't really control since my files are in disorder and I can't find the specific ruling but I'm confident it applies nonetheless.

Joe

Today, I was like unto a god. A short, fat, annoying god with wind.

Sort of like if Bacchus and Loki had a love child?

Did the Vermillion River flats for 4+ hours, almost 9 miles. Glorious weather.

Vermillion River? You were in OHIO??? Granted it was the flat end of the state, but Ohio nonetheless.

No, I realize that there must be a Vermillion River in Mannysodas, seeing as how you are a state full of copycats and scallawags. Copycats, scallawags, and bumpkins. Copycats, scallawags, bumpkins and ne'er do wells.

I'd go on, but the picture of Yeknod in a hairnet just won't leave my mind.

My Gawd. Boo is in love.

Noba.

In regards to the image referenced, no. Not even remotely. Most especially (Double superlative, -5 pts) when said image triggers first, a classic coffee spit take, followed by a protracted, violent coughing fit which reduces the victim to shuddering in a semi fetal position, curled around the task chair. After that, when breath is finally, partially restored, the subject is only able to hoarsely whisper (The horror.... THE HORROR!" over and over again.

But I can understand how YOU might confuse the emotion with love. I mean, as an antipodianly misplaced Pom, I would think something like this would be just a mild symptom of what all is wrong with you.

Apparantly the Chinese don't mind if you call Beijing, 'Peking'...

Be sure to mention that the Long March wasn't all THAT long ... and then boast about how YOUR company will provide internet access to all of your clients without that pesky filtering.

It's important to show that you're independent.

Joe

Seanachai's a witch, he has hexed me, and I say we burn him at the stake.

Look, we've TALKED about this! Just because you find inexplicably yourself up on the bar in stilettos, yodeling mountain shanties, does not necessarily mean Seanachai's hexed you.

I mean sure, it's a distinct possibility, but you don't need to jump to conclusions.

Look, we've TALKED about this! Just because you find inexplicably yourself up on the bar in stilettos, yodeling mountain shanties, does not necessarily mean Seanachai's hexed you.

I mean sure, it's a distinct possibility, but you don't need to jump to conclusions.

I don't know if he would be well advised to jump at all what with being up on the bar on stilletos. Sounds like a prescription for a broken ankle ... on second thought ...

Joe

Look, we've TALKED about this! Just because you find inexplicably yourself up on the bar in stilettos, yodeling mountain shanties...

Just as long as he doesn't try to do his Judy Garland impression. I mean, that on top of Yeknod's hairnet...

Michael