Looking for Demo Game and Impressions

HardCorps

Great game. I didn't notice any bugs and enjoyed the depth of my 2 demo games vs the computer. I won my 1st game in about 160 turns and my 2nd in about 105 turns. The computer isn't nearly aggressive enough with expansion and offense and does good on defense.

I played a lot of Empire Deluxe back in the day and was looking for new games like it. I stumbled across this game in my search. I enjoy the middle of the road approach with the amount complexity with this game.

Anyway, I'm looking for someone to PBEM with on the demo software. I would buy this game instantly if it had a bigger following. As it is, I'm having a hard time justifying $35 for the game with a small community. I thought I'd give the demo a shot against a live person and see if it's worth the risk.

I get the feeling that the community for EoS will grow quickly. You have a couple of key factors that I feel will contribute to that success.

-- An active development studio, AtomicBoy Sotware, that is creating patches, updating the game with features, and clearly passionate about it's success. A pretty good combination.

-- You have a game that comes with the ability to *easily* customize not just the maps you play on, but the the game rules itself. This means that you can use community created Rules, with unique technologies, scenarios, or era's based units. Plus the fact that you can download and vote on these 'in game' is pretty cool.

-- Even with the default settings you have game play that is fun, an interface that let's you focus on managing your 'empire' with ease, and enough ways to make each game unique.

-- Being part of a community at it's beginning is not a bad thing and many of the benefits that you will find come from being able to have your voice seen, meet some like minded individuals, and give back, support a game that you enjoy.

Take a moment to think about what made you go and search for a game like EoS, think about what type of era, map, scenario that you think others like you would want to play, and create it with EoS.

It's easy to follow and hide amidst the crowd, but EoS sparked something for you, like it did me, to post here on the forums... So are you looking for "just the next game", or something more :cool:

Great game. I didn't notice any bugs and enjoyed the depth of my 2 demo games vs the computer. I won my 1st game in about 160 turns and my 2nd in about 105 turns. The computer isn't nearly aggressive enough with expansion and offense and does good on defense.

What seems to happen with ai expansion is it expands fairly well until it meets opposition. Then it tends to turtle and, for the most part, play defense. This is something I've reported and should be addressed as time permits.

Keep in mind the demo only touches the surface. In the real game, you can modify the ruleset and play with different setup options. I especially like a larger map with larger islands, 3-4 start cities randomly placed, 3-4 ai players, no resources, and everybody starting at war with each other on a modified 1940 ruleset.

Does it really turtle or is it that the AI recognizes that once low lying fruit (at the start of the game) is picked it has to mass up a lot of power to expand? I noticed AI doesn't seem to have much problem with picking on a weak opponent. I think Brit is working on a way for the AI to collect a combined arms force and mass up to the proper numbers to win. From what I've read the AI doesn't understand using destroyers to guard transports and that type of thing. However, this is not an insolvable problem.