Revised Late Era Ruleset Available

StellarRat

I made a couple of typos in the first one. This one is corrected. I added Special Forces units that can be moved by plane and sub plus all the other normal methods. They are expensive and weak, but good for scouting. They can seize resources. They are invisible to other units unless they attack or the enemy unit moves on top of them.

I made a couple of typos in the first one. This one is corrected. I added Special Forces units that can be moved by plane and sub plus all the other normal methods. They are expensive and weak, but good for scouting. They can seize resources. They are invisible to other units unless they attack or the enemy unit moves on top of them.

You know, I was thinking about the other modification to subs - splitting them into hunters and boomers. I think the reason that I didn't end up separating them out was because I couldn't think of a good role for boomers. In the real world, they play a strategic role in protecting nuclear arms against a nuclear strike. But, players tend not to build up hundreds or thousands of nukes like the game, like nations do in the real-world. As a result, boomers end up sailing around without too much to do. There is still the possibility of adding some depth and complexity to the game that would allow boomers to have a real role in the game. I just need to think about it a little more.

You know, I was thinking about the other modification to subs - splitting them into hunters and boomers. I think the reason that I didn't end up separating them out was because I couldn't think of a good role for boomers. In the real world, they play a strategic role in protecting nuclear arms against a nuclear strike. But, players tend not to build up hundreds or thousands of nukes like the game, like nations do in the real-world. As a result, boomers end up sailing around without too much to do. There is still the possibility of adding some depth and complexity to the game that would allow boomers to have a real role in the game. I just need to think about it a little more.
Well, I was thinking about that same thing on the way back from the gym tonight. One reason there is little need for boomers is that the nukes are so expensive you really can't build up much of an arsenal. I mean, just buying the missiles to put in my boomer takes about 10 times as long as building the sub. The cost of nuke missiles vs. other weapons is way out of whack, but I bet you did this to prevent a nuke frenzy at the end of the game. I wouldn't really want to play a game where the end was usually nuclear showdown between the two strongest players. First of all, since we don't have the diplomatic tools to truly simulate the effects of nuclear weapons. Second, there wouldn't really be a winner. Third, it's just plain depressing even in a game. I feel guilty every time I nuke a city. However, I put boomers into my rule set because they exist and on a large really big map they might allow you to reach a target that is out of range of your other missiles. Also, you could load them with a bunch of conventional missiles (although I don't allow that now.)

Now, one scenario where I could see using a lot nukes is some type of alien invasion scenario. You've given us a very flexible system and as soon as we can easily mod the pictures and sound I could see doing some type of War of the Worlds/Independence Day type of game. Basically, the aliens would start with very high tech but no production while the humans would start with whatever and production. That would be cool!

BTW, adding more complexity to the game is something I'm not really in favor of. I like not having to do to any micro-management each turn. If you want to add depth and complexity that happens automatically (computer calculated stuff like auto retreating units or even tracing supply lines) I'm OK with that. But, if you add a bunch of stuff that we have to manage to play a good game, you as well just have us go and buy Strategic Command or Civ 4. Both great games, but way longer especially in multi-player.

I would :D and pbem with more diplomacy, definitely would end in nuclear arms races!

You might want to build hundreds of nukes but with the production cost at 500 or something like that its nearly impossible in time frame of an average. It took me literally years of game time to build enough missiles to fill one Nuclearo Missile sub. I reduced the number of missiles they carry to 4 because 8 wasn't practical.

You might want to build hundreds of nukes but with the production cost at 500 or something like that its nearly impossible in time frame of an average. It took me literally years of game time to build enough missiles to fill one Nuclearo Missile sub. I reduced the number of missiles they carry to 4 because 8 wasn't practical.

Good point, still a cheaper slbm would still merit ssbn's

I didn't mess with much for the

SLBMs . I basically copied the SRBM and changed the label to SLBM. This was important because I needed SLBMs to follow a longer tech tree. In my tech tree the SLBM and SSBM become available at the same time.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that in EOS there are far few cities then in "real life", so we need less of everything to run our wars. I personally would not want to have move hundreds of units every turn. The game wouldn't be much fun then.

Agree with you here, fewer nukes is not necessarily bad, but i still hold that slbms are useful, even if its just for stealth I.E enemy player launches massive air strike at your town and wipes out nuclear stockpile youve lost, but if they do that and you have a boomer off their coast, you get a return strike :D

Agree with you here, fewer nukes is not necessarily bad, but i still hold that slbms are useful, even if its just for stealth I.E enemy player launches massive air strike at your town and wipes out nuclear stockpile youve lost, but if they do that and you have a boomer off their coast, you get a return strike :D

Yes. I suppose in game the Boomer still fulfills role. I think they would be more useful against sneaky human players that try massive surprise first strike. Maybe they would think you are done, but you'd have a little surprise for them. :-)